User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does the barrel lock up properly?  I held one today, and you can push the barrel slightly out of battery by applying thumb pressure from the top.  All of the Gen3 and Gen4 guns I've owned didn't do this.  We tried several Gen5 and all had this problem.
View Quote
That's always been the case with Glocks.   The Gen4s were the tightest ones ever, the Gen5s I've been looking at have the normal loose fit that all the previous Glocks had.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Installed Trijicon HD's on mine and finally got out this morning to try it. The picture below is the first five rounds out of the gun (Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +p):

I do this to ensure MOH (minute of head) at 25m. That's been my baseline since my daughters were born.

The next strings of fire were on clay birds at the same distance. Cleared 10 birds with 11 rounds.

Then I ran a mix of ball and old HP's through it until I exhausted 300 rounds downrange. Very smooth operation, trigger is better than the Gen 4 by a mile. Even hand cycling and just finger fucking it shows better tolerances and smoother operation.

The Gen 5 is everything Glock promised.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Does the barrel lock up properly?  I held one today, and you can push the barrel slightly out of battery by applying thumb pressure from the top.  All of the Gen3 and Gen4 guns I've owned didn't do this.  We tried several Gen5 and all had this problem.
View Quote
I have all Gen 3 and they all do this
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have all Gen 3 and they all do this
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm intrigued to see what the trigger ends up feeling like. After owning a Gen2 G17 for the last 13yrs, I'm not excited to see the half moon come back.

Everything else sounds rather positive. Has Glock beefed up the frame rails? I know Battlefield Las Vegas saw a huge increase in slide failures with late Gen3 and Gen4 glocks because the rear frame rails were breaking out the bottom of the slides. 
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I have always hated the G19 and wasn't too impressed with the specs on the new gen 5. But curiosity got the best of me, and I went to a local shop to fondle one. 

I think I can say for certain that the only reason I hated the G19 was because of the finger groove placement. I think it's also fair to say that the gen 5 has the best trigger of any Glock I've ever handled. 
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have always hated the G19 and wasn't too impressed with the specs on the new gen 5. But curiosity got the best of me, and I went to a local shop to fondle one. 

I think I can say for certain that the only reason I hated the G19 was because of the finger groove placement. I think it's also fair to say that the gen 5 has the best trigger of any Glock I've ever handled. 
View Quote
I like mine more everyday
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#8]
And now that I've learned a very expensive lesson, that there is such a thing as too much dryfire practice, the probability that I buy one of these new pistols in the next week just increased by 87%. 
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Going to get one, have blue label coupon.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And now that I've learned a very expensive lesson, that there is such a thing as too much dryfire practice, the probability that I buy one of these new pistols in the next week just increased by 87%. 
View Quote
All you have to do is use snap caps. Cheap insurance. GLOCK now recommends snap caps for dry fire, by the way.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
How much dry firing did you do approximately?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My G17.2, first G34.3, and most all my other Gen3 pistols except my other G34.3 has the half moon cut.  Never been a bother to me I take a file to the hard edge and round the hard edge.

The grip angle and Glock booty is my favorite thing about the Glock.
View Quote
The half-moon cutout at the front of the grip may be a deal breaker for me. At least on a G19. That retarded half-moon cutout drove me nuts on my old Gen 2 G23.

On the larger frame G17/34 etc, the cutout (and finger grooves) do not bother me at all.

If I get a Gen 5, it will have to be a 17.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#13]
A local range is being sued by a customer over the gen 5. Sliced his finger open because of the front of the frame isnt beveled like the slide. Why glock couldn't actually do a professional job on the gen 5, is beyond me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:18:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A local range is being sued by a customer over the gen 5. Sliced his finger open because of the front of the frame isnt beveled like the slide. Why glock couldn't actually do a professional job on the gen 5, is beyond me.
View Quote
I just fingerbanged two Gen5s and there is just no way that it's possible on either of mine.  It's a tiny piece of rounded plastic that barely sticks out.  You would have to do some really stupid shit to even be able to scratch yourself with it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:48:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wait what?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thats BS, probably from someone who hasn't even put their hands on a Gen 5. There isn't enough sticking out to bevel the frame to match the slide.

If its true, idiot probably cut his finger doing something stupid and was just looking for something to blame it on. I can't imagine how that would even happen and even if it did, the cut couldn't be that bad. Sounds like a real puss of a human.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:37:47 AM EDT
[#17]
500 rounds down the pipe, no issues, no BTF, no blood, nothing to cry about.

I was never bothered by the finger grooves on the Gen 4's I own/owned but I think the Gen 5 grip is my favorite so far. I am not bothered by the mag well cut as my pinky wraps all the way around it. For those with short stubby fingers, I could see how this might be annoying though.

This is how I like my Glocks; triggerguard undercut and Vickers sights. No plans for anything else other than more ammo.

Glock 19.5 by X Ring, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Uh hu, sure they are.

Is this the same local range that sold you a BL G17.5 with night sights for under $370?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Uh hu, sure they are.

Is this the same local range that sold you a BL G17.5 with night sights for under $370?
View Quote
LOL WUT
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Let me give you a bit of advice...Stay away from that range!.  Two reasons, one if the story is true, anyplace that would allow someone that stupid to even come in, is one place I wouldn't want to be.  Two, if that place employs such idiots that they would even spread such nonsense, I wouldn't want to be there.  

TXPO
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Not a hand slicer.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#22]
The local field and Stream want $659 for one, Think ill keep looking.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I picked up the gen 5 - 17 and kept thinking on the gen 5  19  I took my gen 4 - 17 to the gun shop today got it around 2014 been flawless carry it alot . he wanted my gun and 250 for the new 19- gen 5 I did not do it I have many parts for gen 3 and 4 . I will make do with the gen 5 -17
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A local range is being sued by a customer over the gen 5. Sliced his finger open because of the front of the frame isnt beveled like the slide.
View Quote
Fake news. Did not happen.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Local shops here in Corpus Christi want $699 for the standard sight models.

A quick hop on Gunbroker and I got mine for $549 shipped + $20 transfer. $569 out the door.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

A quick hop on Gunbroker and I got mine for $549 shipped + $20 transfer. $569 out the door.  
View Quote
Wow, I guess my local is a steal at $621!

They also have new Gen4's for $599 and used Gen3's and Gen4's for $550. 

...and blem AR lowers for $125. 
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought you lived near el campo? One of the shops there had one for $569. I paid $699 plus the cost of night sights for mine, but I needed a pistol for post hurricane madness and didn't have time to shop around.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I picked up a Gen 5 19 on Thursday, but I got one with factory Ameriglo night sights.
The front sight on mine was very tall... almost looked like suppressor height, but not quite.
Took it to the range on Friday and it shot very nice, but low.   Much lower than normal.
I got home and went through my parts and found a spare Ameriglo CAP front sight in yellow I bought about a year ago.
Installed the CAP (standard height G19/17/22/23, etc...) and took it to the range today...
Boy oh boy, what a difference!   This think is now spot on and shoots like a laser!  
It's probably the most accurate Glock I've ever owned (and I've owned a bunch!).

So, if you buy a gen 5 with night sights, you'll probably have to change the front sight to standard height.

http://village.photos/images/user/96a08706-211e-40d6-8385-7d17e459b5f2/a1172863-c958-4ae9-b63d-7051950d7131.jpg
View Quote

What were you using for an aimpoint?  The top of the front sight?  Do you lollipop the target or cut it in half?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#29]
I haven't looked at grabagun yet, but I imagine that after they have enough gen5's in stock that their prices will be hard to beat.

This is a great time for semi auto pistols, lots of great options out there. I just wish I had more $$.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Here's a crummy picture of my new gen 5 with Ameriglo's. Pretty decent shooter. This is with 115gr Perfecta, 25 yds, 3" dia orange dot.

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Did they bring back the old tenifer finish?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The half-moon cutout at the front of the grip may be a deal breaker for me. At least on a G19. That retarded half-moon cutout drove me nuts on my old Gen 2 G23.

On the larger frame G17/34 etc, the cutout (and finger grooves) do not bother me at all.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My G17.2, first G34.3, and most all my other Gen3 pistols except my other G34.3 has the half moon cut.  Never been a bother to me I take a file to the hard edge and round the hard edge.

The grip angle and Glock booty is my favorite thing about the Glock.

Same here. LGS had a Gen 4 and a Gen 5. Handled both side by side. That cutout is a deal breaker.  Now if Pearce makes a mag baseplate like the Gen 2 versions then I will reconsider.  I hate to say it but I might prefer the finger grooves
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Tenifer is not a finish, it's a treatment then they put a finish on top of it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I can confirm that rock hard primer German NATO sub gun ammunition to works just fine with the gen 5.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I can confirm that rock hard primer German NATO sub gun ammunition to works just fine with the gen 5.
View Quote
Superb!
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#36]
As does Blaser Aluminum case crap. I ran 100 rounds of that weak junk through mine with no issues.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:13:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Got to handle one of these finally.  My pinkie finger does lay across the magwell cutout, but I really couldn't feel it much.  I'd still prefer it not be there, but it wasn't as bad as I feared.  The trigger feels vastly improved over the older guns.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#38]
I was happy to see the cut out doesn't bother me at all.

I thought the trigger felt like a Gen4 that had the 25 cent trigger job, so yeah, the trigger is somewhat better to me.

Nothing was really special to me personally, but hey, I'm already a Glock guy so that's good enough.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Same here. LGS had a Gen 4 and a Gen 5. Handled both side by side. That cutout is a deal breaker. Now if Pearce makes a mag baseplate like the Gen 2 versions then I will reconsider. I hate to say it but I might prefer the finger grooves
View Quote
The Pearce baseplate fits in the Gen5 gun just fine.

Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So will everyone now start complaining they want finger grooves back?
View Quote
Would it be hard for Glock to make a gen 5 with and without finger grooves? I only had a gen 4. I didn't mind the finger grooves but I've never shot a gun without them. Then everyone could be happy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Here's a crummy picture of my new gen 5 with Ameriglo's. Pretty decent shooter. This is with 115gr Perfecta, 25 yds, 3" dia orange dot.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/DannyBoy340/Mobile%20Uploads/20170915_210211.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/DannyBoy340/Mobile%20Uploads/20170915_184127.jpg
View Quote
Well done Mister.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Well going to see if I can get mine to choke on 115g WWB. I have about 350 round loaded up and a few mags of 115g hornady +P AH JHPs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Don't get your hopes up.   Mine won't on Winchester 115 steel case.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Don't get your hopes up.   Mine won't on Winchester 115 steel case.
View Quote
Ate every round and ejected like a champ. Just shot 380 rounds of mostly WWB 115g. That's about 425 round down the barrel of this pistol. Trigger seems to be getting better. Parts wearing together. The 19.5 is a sweet pistol. The flaired magwell is nice for reloads. Reset is awesome on the trigger. Finish seems to wear pretty quick on inside of slide and barrel. Doesn't really matter to me though. Magazine followers won't stay orange for long. Very accurate. It will do the job if I do my part. All 9mm G17 & G19 magazines work great in it. Ejection is weak with WWB but no failures to cycle and all brass went consistently to the right.

Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#45]
One thing I noticed that I thought was interesting was the locking block. The gun is obviously two-pin, but the locking block has the channel for the third pin. Almost like the reverse of the later Gen2 and early Gen 3 9mm guns where the locking block was for a two-pin but the frames had a machine point molded in for the third hole to be drilled.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top