Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2017 12:32:04 AM EDT
I have a question. I realize that my Trijicon night sights have "Tritium" inside the front site but can anyone
tell me how much radiation is eminating from it?

Reason I'm kinda worried is because I carry aiwb which locates the front site really close to my "manly parts"!
I probably average about 4-8 hrs a day carrying this way.
I don't want to harm those little Tad poles, or worse.. cancer.

Any info?
Or am I overly worrying about it?
Thx
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:40:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You are overly worrying about it.

Tritium is a low energy beta emitter, the radiation doesn't penetrate the sight, so there is no exposure as long as the capsule in the sight is intact. If the capsule breaks, the gas escapes and there is no longer illumination.

If you somehow manage to break a capsule (they're really tough), don't breathe the gas.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:46:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Not enough radiation to do anything to you. Hell with as many x-rays I have had keeping a piece of Trinitite for the rest of my life would not even come close to the radiation from all the x-rays.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:48:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you somehow manage to break a capsule (they're really tough), don't breathe the gas.
View Quote
If that does happen, my CZ75 manual suggests drinking beer.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:05:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a question. I realize that my Trijicon night sights have "Tritium" inside the front site but can anyone
tell me how much radiation is eminating from it?

Reason I'm kinda worried is because I carry aiwb which locates the front site really close to my "manly parts"!
I probably average about 4-8 hrs a day carrying this way.
I don't want to harm those little Tad poles, or worse.. cancer.

Any info?
Or am I overly worrying about it?
Thx
View Quote

First, not enough to do anything.
Second, do you drive a Prius? Because you sound like you drive a Prius.
Third, you'll shoot your dick off before "radiation" becomes a factor.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:08:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Tritium emits beta radiation which can easily be stopped by plastic. You have nothing to worry about, as it's extremely low level. Even if compromised, you still take in more background radiation from everyday life throughout the year than you would a tritium vial breaking.

Average person takes in around 620 mREM from various stuff yearly. You will be absolutely fine.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:18:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Ops next thread:
Do tritium sights contribute to "climate change"?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:19:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm seeing similarities.

Tritium is beta

Op is beta

You'll be fine-ish.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:20:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm seeing similarities.

Tritium is beta

Op is beta

You'll be fine-ish.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:29:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Our Haz-Mat team tested this out with their brand new radiation detectors a few years back.  I had 4 Trijicons that were not on guns.  Put them together and they tried to see if they could pick up anything.  Nothing but normal background radiation.  Not even an extra microrem.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:52:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Our Haz-Mat team tested this out with their brand new radiation detectors a few years back.  I had 4 Trijicons that were not on guns.  Put them together and they tried to see if they could pick up anything.  Nothing but normal background radiation.  Not even an extra microrem.
View Quote
lol

I did the same thing

Well, I wasn't concerned about radiation. I had access to a really high dollar frisker, and I wanted it to do something. Disappointing, really. It would be kinda cooler if they were 'hot' lol.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:58:48 AM EDT
[#11]
50,0000 milirads per year
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:35:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Nobody carries a loaded pistol pointed at their pre-op parts, particularly one with a relatively light trigger with no manual safety, and thinks "I may grow a third testicle from all this radiation."  Do you microwave burritos ever?  The Prius comment was the best ever.

BTW, I'm not being a jerk about this, I really think this has to be a joke.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:37:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Now if it was Radium I would be a little concerned. Tritium is pretty harmless.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:00:31 AM EDT
[#14]
my round is always in the chamber, and I appendix carry. you'de be a fool to not keep it loaded. when you will need it, the time it takes to rack your slide could mean life or death. (although it does creep me out having one in the chamber on my g19, my fnx 45 not so much)
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Tritium emits beta radiation which can easily be stopped by plastic. You have nothing to worry about, as it's extremely low level. Even if compromised, you still take in more background radiation from everyday life throughout the year than you would a tritium vial breaking.

Average person takes in around 620 mREM from various stuff yearly. You will be absolutely fine.
View Quote
+1

Beta radiation isnt the really bad stuff

Thats gamma radiation I.E. Fallout radiation

Beta is absorbed by the phosphorus and steel long before it gets to you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ops next thread:
Do tritium sights contribute to "climate change"?
View Quote
Ignorant republitard...

The arctic ice will be completely gone by the year 2014
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

+1

Thats gamma radiation I.E. Fallout radiation

Beta is absorbed by the phosphorus and steel long before it gets to you.
View Quote
Neutron radiation is pretty bad too. Lol.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's pretty bad, but only if it's inside your body.

When dealing with radiation there is radiation exposure, and then there is protection from radioactive materials. If there is Polonium (alpha emitter) sitting on the table, you're perfectly safe from the dosage of external radiation. If you happen to get any of that polonium inside your body, by inhaling a dust particle, or a particle getting in your food or water (or have a KGB agent inject it from an umbrella), then you're in really bad shape.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Not a big deal
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#20]
About the same amount as your glow in the dark wrist watch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top