Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2017 9:09:16 PM EDT
Does anyone EDC a 19 w/ a large light like a TLR-1 or X300? I am wondering about the footprint of it before I spend money on an expensive IWB holster.

I put my TLR-1HL on my 19, stuck in in my pants at the 3-4 o'clock position and looked in the mirror. It looked like I had a water bottle in my pants. If I can't find anything smaller I might have to settle for an XC1, but I was really hoping to have a very high lumen platform like the TLR or X300.

PS, I don't want anything from Infarce.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I tried the TLR-1 first and I looked like I dropped a turd in my pants or I had a hard on appendix.  I have gone to the XC1 the size is perfect and the brightness I do not see as an issue.  I do not anticipate finding myself needing to take a 50m shot at night.  I took a low light no light course twice the first time I bought a TLR-1HL after and I found sometimes it was to bright.  The XC1 is more than adequate for clearing a house or taking a 30-35m shot out to 50 it really falls off.  The spread on the XC1 plays well inside a house or building.

My two setups.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#2]
New Inforce APL Compact just hit the shelves.  I realize you said no Inforce, but they've really improved their products lately and their customer service is great.  I'm waiting for the new full size APL due to come out in a few weeks.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/inforce-200-lumens-compact-auto-pistol-light.html

Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
New Inforce APL Compact just hit the shelves.  I realize you said no Inforce, but they've really improved their products lately and their customer service is great.  I'm waiting for the new full size APL due to come out in a few weeks.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/inforce-200-lumens-compact-auto-pistol-light.html

https://op1.ec.tc/978-550-ffffff/opplanet-inforce-200lum-cmpct-auto-pistol-light-black-nsn-n-acg-05-1-usage-1.jpg
View Quote
I skipped the the Inforce myself because my buddies drained batteries like it was an EOTech.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't need the holster tomorrow, cruise EE for a week or two and you'll probably find a holster to match the light combo you are looking for. That will save you some cash.

Take a look at some other low light classes as well. One of the better (I believe) strategies is to have just enough light on your gun to be able to ID the target, and have an additional pocket light to do the bright searching and blinding.

By doing that, you don't need to have a big ass x300 or TLR and can go with smaller, less bright options, and a cleaner looking holster option in your pants.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:21:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I skipped the the Inforce myself because my buddies drained batteries like it was an EOTech.
View Quote
Yes I had an early model with that problem too.   I contacted Inforce and they not just replaced it, but gave me an upgraded model.  No problems since.

In these latest ones which are just out or about to come out, they've upgraded the material to address cracking issues and upgraded the mount on the full size one to metal.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I've never had an issue carrying an x300u on a medium size pistol... AIWB in the Vanguard 3 works well for most uses and is pretty low profile.
It does certainly print more than no light, or a tiny light, but 99.5% of the population don't have a clue and wouldn't notice a 240B (with a light on it) tucked in someone else's drawers.

If anyone asks, I ask them why they're gazing so longingly at my groin in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes I had an early model with that problem too.   I contacted Inforce and they not just replaced it, but gave me an upgraded model.  No problems since.

In these latest ones which are just out or about to come out, they've upgraded the material to address cracking issues and upgraded the mount on the full size one to metal.
View Quote
Just texted my friend this he was kind of surprised and will be contacting them.  Had no idea they were doing that figured he was attached to another object by an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I just switched from the XC1 in an Incog holster w/ wedge to an X300U in an M3 holster w/ claw for my Glock 19.  My new setup conceals better than the old, but I'm carrying appendix, not 3-4 o'clock.  I've been tinkering with my carry setup and other gear recently and the best advice I can give is just try it out.  If it doesn't work for you, sell it on the EE as barely used at a small loss.  I tried a couple things that didn't work and lost a little money in the process, but I have the peace of mind of knowing for sure that those things don't work for me and there's no need to dwell on them anymore.  Too much of this stuff is dependent on individual preference, body type, clothing choices, etc. to rely solely on input from others.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you considered a TLR-3?

I have one on an M&P 9c that has been solid
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Well at first I tried this and couldn't get to the button to switch the light on let alone never found a holster. Trust me the tapeswitch didn't work either.
Now on a more serious note.
I carry my 19 MOS every day with the RMR and TLR1-HL in an INCOG at the 3 or 4 o'clock. No problem doing so and I'm only 6' 210 lbs. Tried the appendix thing but just never found it to be comfortable. More power to anyone who can, just not for me...
For those days I don't want to carry IWB there's the Bravo Concealment.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#11]
19 w/ TLR-1 in an OWB is good to go. It's too much for IWB for my frame. Plenty of people do it though, even in an appendix holster.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry a G17 with TLR1 IWB at 4 o'clock. I use a comp tac IWB CTAC holster. With a pretty steep cant, I get no printing with relatively tight t-shirts.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's plastic and has a little more than 1/2 the lumens of an XC1.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The TLR-3 is plastic, but it holds up.
I used one on an M&P9c for several years much like @baize82.  It has proven reliable and it's bright enough for most uses.
I have never been gentle with my carry guns and it never failed me.  I found that my M&P9c did deposit burnt powder on the lens pretty quickly, I ended up using a thin layer of chapstick on my lens during range sessions that I could wipe off after before reloading and holstering for carry.

Never had an issue with it's output... but I have since moved to a Surefire x300u-a for my carry light.  It's larger, but if I don't hit em with my bullets the light might set em of fire at close range.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:22:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Daily carry a G17 or G34 with an X300U AIWB in a CNC Keroman.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:05:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been using a Gotham badiwan when I carry a wml. It's to bulky for me to carry it 24-7 but does conceal fine when wearing a button down shirt. I just normally wear t-shirts.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I carry a 19 every day with the x300, with no issues. Being tall does help with that though, admittedly. With a good holster it should be an issue unless your body type doesn't allow it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I carry a G19 w/X300u attached IWB at 3 o'clock in a Raven Vangard 3. It is definitely bulkier than just the pistol, but I like being able to turn the night into day
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:32:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I carried my 19 with a TLR-1 mounted for a while.  It was a PITA.  I tried a Raven pancake, and even Safariland ALS.  It just didn't ride well for me (have been carrying, legally, since 1993...so lots of miles of CCW).

Personally, I question a WML for a CCW.  Even when I had the TLR mounted I kept my StreamLight ProTac 1L-1AA clipped in my offhand front pocket.  Outside of an already positively ID'd target..you'd be hard pressed to explain why you were drawn on someone.. That is to say, the WML only works for a "need to shoot" situation.  If you "need to ID" then you don't want your gun out.  

The pocket "tactical" (gag - I had that term) light makes ID'g a threat easy without accidentally muzzle'g grandma.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a WML on my bedside handgun (TLR-1) and HD shotgun (SureFire) and HD rifle (SureFire Scout).  The situation is different in your house than "on the street".
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Glock 19 or 32 with a TLR-1 every day.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Personally, I question a WML for a CCW.  Even when I had the TLR mounted I kept my StreamLight ProTac 1L-1AA clipped in my offhand front pocket.  Outside of an already positively ID'd target..you'd be hard pressed to explain why you were drawn on someone.. That is to say, the WML only works for a "need to shoot" situation.  If you "need to ID" then you don't want your gun out.  

The pocket "tactical" (gag - I had that term) light makes ID'g a threat easy without accidentally muzzle'g grandma.
View Quote
I started carrying a small 350 lumen handheld a few weeks back but also want to carry a WML because one handed shooting sucks. For when a threat is identified, I would need to train for the transition to drop the handheld as I am drawing and activating the WML.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top