User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If I fail to train I train to fail.

I am sure this is was wrote to induce terror in all Glock owners hearts.

"Well, no.  Several lawsuits were filed by law enforcement personnel.  Many of these lawsuits were attempting to blame
Glock for negligent discharges when disassembling the pistol in order to
clean as one must pull the trigger in order to disassemble it.
 Nonetheless, there were and inevitably will be more, lawsuits resulting
from negligent discharges when attempting to reholster a Glock pistol.
 Some examples are:
1. An FBI agent
2. Massachusetts officer shoots hole through pants reholstering
3. Officer Bill McMahan
4. Harlan County"

And after reading this I wonder "How as a civilian I will ever be better than the Police?"

"So, do we have a mechanical problem with Glocks and other pistols that have
the safety on the trigger or do we have a training problem?
 Obviously, every pistol owner should take a training class that goes
beyond the good Lieutenant Colonel’s Four Rules.  However, with full time law enforcement personnel experiencing negligent discharges from their issued Glocks they were
trained to use, should we not expect negligent discharges from Glock
owning citizens?  The answer is “yes” and aside from the very real
(though not widespread) danger of negligently firing a Glock when
reholstering, "

While we are here point out to me where I find the answer to the first
sentence in my last quote. I am clearly under educated and trained as a
civilian so it my be a mute point. For that I must truly apologize.
View Quote

I read this a couple of times and I don't know what you are trying to say.   If you are trying to say police are better trained than civilians, in some cases yes, in some no.  Most cops are not gun people and only shoot when they qualify.  If a hobbyist gun owner who trains saw a police qualification on the last day of a shooting period they would be shocked at how lousy cops shoot.  I feel sorry for the range masters who have to risk themselves to qualify the cops who don't know how to shoot.
e
If I carried a glock inside my waistband it would have a gadget.  I would be stupid not too.  I have seen the gadget in use and it is worth every penny it costs.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I read this a couple of times and I don't know what you are trying to say.   If you are trying to say police are better trained than civilians, in some cases yes, in some no.  Most cops are not gun people and only shoot when they qualify.  If a hobbyist gun owner who trains saw a police qualification on the last day of a shooting period they would be shocked at how lousy cops shoot.  I feel sorry for the range masters who have to risk themselves to qualify the cops who don't know how to shoot.

If I carried a glock inside my waistband it would have a gadget.  I would be stupid not too.
View Quote
http://www.gunnuts.net/2015/07/03/the-gadget-an-additional-safety-device-for-glock-pistols/
Quotes are from ops link.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#3]
It's personal preference whether you use one or not, but there's really no argument against it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It was not and any one with a high school education can parse the non emotional words and see that.  I wrote it and I know exactly what I was writing about and trying to impart.

Quoted:
And after reading this I wonder "How as a civilian I will ever be better than the Police?"

I often get somewhat depressed watching police shoot, so yeah.  Are you seriously trying to imply that the police are highly trained?  Some are, most aren't.  Policing is regional, training is not uniform nor standardized.  So, don't think that any informed shooter is going to go along with your silly bullshit about the cops being so much better and for what it's worth as an infantry Marine, I feel the same way about military shooters.

All of that being said, I welcome the chance to shoot against you
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It was not and any one with a high school education can parse the non emotional words and see that.  I wrote it and I know exactly what I was writing about and trying to impart.

I often get somewhat depressed watching police shoot, so yeah.  Are you seriously trying to imply that the police are highly trained?  Some are, most aren't.  Policing is regional, training is not uniform nor standardized.  So, don't think that any informed shooter is going to go along with your silly bullshit about the cops being so much better and for what it's worth as an infantry Marine, I feel the same way about military shooters.

All of that being said, I welcome the chance to shoot against you
View Quote
Do not hold out hope.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:01:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Still waiting for proof this this stops so much as one ND/AD.
View Quote

What's it fucking matter if it could prevent an ND and anyone with a bit of common sense not bound in "I bin shooting for years and nevah needed one of those, my finger is mad safety" line of thinking can readily see?  With your "logic," no one should ever ride the hammer home as they reholster a hammer fired gun because it's not proven that this practice could prevent an AD?  

Just summing up your poorly written posts (grammar and punctuation counts more than bold fonts and large text), the SCD is bad because there's no rigorously compiled, peer reviewed data on what it could have prevent, correct?  Do you have anything else other to offer than a simplistic "this is my safety" attitude?  Please don't trot out the "if you're unsafe, you just haven't trained" enough line of bullshit (but I'm sure you will).  The simple fact of the matter is that folks that would for additional safety, ride the hammer home whilst reholstering a hammer fired pistol, would or do like the same capability in a Glock.  Is that so hard to grasp?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What's it fucking matter if it could prevent an ND and anyone with a bit of common sense not bound in "I bin shooting for years and nevah needed one of those, my finger is mad safety" line of thinking can readily see?  With your "logic," no one should ever ride the hammer home as they reholster a hammer fired gun because it's not proven that this practice could prevent an AD?  

Just summing up your poorly written posts (grammar and punctuation counts more than bold fonts and large text), the SCD is bad because there's no rigorously compiled, peer reviewed data on what it could have prevent, correct?  Do you have anything else other to offer than a simplistic "this is my safety" attitude?  Please don't trot out the "if you're unsafe, you just haven't trained" enough line of bullshit (but I'm sure you will).  The simple fact of the matter is that folks that would for additional safety, ride the hammer home whilst reholstering a hammer fired pistol, would or do like the same capability in a Glock.  Is that so hard to grasp?
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#8]
It's not always finger discipline that's the issue.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2261/glock-04-162932.JPG
View Quote
But does that fall in to safe operation or safety issue?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
But does that fall in to safe operation or safety issue?
View Quote

It falls into what risk this device could mitigate. It's exactly what it was designed for.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes.
View Quote

I thought as much.  You're mentally ossified and incapable of pondering anything new.  I'm guessing that a few year ago, you decided that you knew all there was to know about shooting, and we have to deal with your irrational argument that it's somehow wrong to want to reholster a striker fired gun as safely as one can a hammer fired gun.  I'll bet you don't push yourself in competition nor in training because, ossified, because stagnant.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It falls into what risk this device could mitigate. It's exactly what it was designed for.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think a lot of people are missing the major benefit to this, and it really, really appeals to the dudes who appendix carry.

People who carry hammer fired pistols AIWB place their thumbs on the back of hammers when reholstering to ensure they don't fire into their groin if there is something crowding the holster.

The Gadget does the same thing, placing your thumb on it during the holstering process, ensuring you can't fire into your groin in the event there is foreign material in your holster.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is just an aid for re-holstering. It won't stop stop the majority of ADs and NDs, but it wasn't designed to do that -- just to help reholster safely.
View Quote

You are absolutely correct.  You can use if you want, it is a passive safety.  It does not change how the weapon operates.  If it is broken (not that anyone, including SouthNarc, has been able to break one), the pistol will continue to function as designed.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I thought as much.  You're mentally ossified and incapable of pondering anything new.  I'm guessing that a few year ago, you decided that you knew all there was to know about shooting, and we have to deal with your irrational argument that it's somehow wrong to want to reholster a striker fired gun as safely as one can a hammer fired gun.  I'll bet you don't push yourself in competition nor in training because, ossified, because stagnant.
View Quote
Guilty 
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#15]
vfbg- Dude, I was really happy when jefflebowski started this thread, and I'd like to see if It could get back to topic.

jefflebowski was asking if anyone had experience with the SCD, and I think you've made it very clear that you do not.

Personally, I am eager to hear if other people are using the SCD with other aftermarket triggers, and what their experiences have been. My OP DAT V2 has full functionality of the SCD, and I'm curious if that stays true across the OP brand, and how that compares to the other aftermarket triggers.

Mine's in a G19 that I'm building as a Roland/Fauxland Special. The gun is off getting the RMR mounted and a high cut done to the grip, so I can't take a pic of the SCD with the trigger forward, but when I can, I'll update.

Any others have experiences to share?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I just found out that my original tester/beta unit was one of the very first six such manufactured and it's made out of aluminum, not machined steel like [b]all/[b] of the production units.  I got it in 2011, it's got a little over 100k rounds through it.  It wore to a point and stopped wearing.  It.  Just.  Works.  The data gathered from the years of testing on this one and others like it led to small changes in the production units today.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You are absolutely correct.  You can use if you want, it is a passive safety.  It does not change how the weapon operates.  If it is broken (not that anyone, including SouthNarc, has been able to break one), the pistol will continue to function as designed.
View Quote

I don't get it then -- why is there so much opposition to this? Nobody is forcing these dudes to use it -- besides, Todd G was a real shooter, more than most here could ever wish to be. He pretty much breaks everything through use -- if it didn't break and he approves, then it must be pretty durable.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why not just buy a gun with a safety?
View Quote

QFT

If you want a safety, there are many other choices for firearms.

That said, the design for this safety is just odd and in an unnatural place for quick operation. If you HAD to have a Glock and HAD to have a safety, then something like the Cominolli that give you a 1911 style thumb safety would be a more prudent choice -

www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/safety-parts/safeties/manual-safety-kit-for-glock--prod5532.aspx
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2261/glock-04-162932.JPG
View Quote

That looks like negligent choice or maintenance of equipment.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

QFT

That said, the design for this safety is just odd and in an unnatural place for quick operation. If you HAD to have a Glock and HAD to have a safety, then something like the Cominolli that give you a 1911 style thumb safety would be a more prudent choice -

www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/safety-parts/safeties/manual-safety-kit-for-glock--prod5532.aspx
View Quote
It's actually pretty intuitive. I place my thumb on the back of the Glock slide anyway as I  have had a slide come out of battery when holstering. It's also a natural place for it to go to get it out of the way of the holster.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:19:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's actually pretty intuitive. I place my thumb on the back of the Glock slide anyway as I  have had a slide come out of battery when holstering. It's also a natural place for it to go to get it out of the way of the holster.
View Quote

What do you mean by this, because at face value this does not sound natural?
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:25:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Its not unintutive if you've ever thumbed the hammer on a TDA gun once in your life.

Thumbing the hammer is a common and recommended practice for reholstering hammer fired pistols and revolvers.

On a DA gun it physically restrains  the hammer from rising in the case of something working is way into the holster. I've been doing it with issued M9s and now with P229s and there's nothing unnatural about the motion.
View Quote

I've had striker fired pistols alomost all of my time as a gun owner. I had some DA pistols when I first got into guns 15 years ago, but never used them much, never carried them and sold them after a short period of time. I guess I'm part of the millennial generation where striker fired polymer weapons are considered normal and everything else is some strange piece of history that you only see on the Forgotten Weapons YouTube channel.

Question, what is this thing you call a "revolver"? Is that the thing you see in old westerns?
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 4:37:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

QFT

View Quote

You have to understand that this isn't a "safety" in the 1911 or M9 sense, it is just a tactile indication that your trigger is moving. Its sole purpose in life is to let you know if the trigger is moving while you reholster. Why someone wouldn't want that is beyond me, I don't get the opposition to it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 5:16:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You have to understand that this isn't a "safety" in the 1911 or M9 sense, it is just a tactile indication that your trigger is moving. Its sole purpose in life is to let you know if the trigger is moving while you reholster. Why someone wouldn't want that is beyond me, I don't get the opposition to it.
View Quote

Because it's not operator
Because it's messing with "perfection"
Because there are many Glockaholics who think guns with external safeties are dumb and will get you killed
Because people think AIWB is a dumb/stupid/dangerous way to carry
Because people feel the need to do the snatch back, tactical neck snap, and reholster at mach 4 because it's the current tactical training flavor of the month
Because people are gonna bitch no matter what
Because #Murica

Personally I really dig the concept of the SCD.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

QFT

View Quote

One, it is not "odd and unnatural," many organizations teach reholstering with your thumb on the backplate.  Which of course, begs the simple question:

Have you see this device and physically tried it?

The Cominolli requires permanent modification to the frame.  The SCD can be installed in about 30 seconds and uninstalled in the same.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Looks natural to me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm still bouncing around the thought of getting one; (Really a good read OP in your write up)
Just feel $80 for a small piece seems a bit much, and wish they had them in stores to see and try before committing to $80.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
One, it is not "odd and unnatural," many organizations teach reholstering with your thumb on the backplate.  Which of course, begs the simple question:

The Cominolli requires permanent modification to the frame.  The SCD can be installed in about 30 seconds and uninstalled in the same.
View Quote

I had not. But now that I have read more of the article and I am a little more familiar with it, it looks even more like a solution to a problem no one had.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2261/IMG-2787-165754.JPG

That what I was thinking in my head. The reason it seems so unnatural my thumb is around the side of the pistol parallel to the ground. I guess it comes down to each persons preference.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:28:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I think the SCD is an awesome idea and I don't get the trolling of this thread.  

I thought everybody thumbed the back plate when holstering if for no other reason than making sure your gun stays in battery.

I plan on getting a couple Gadgets now and one for a G42 when they are available.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing some feed back after the kids go to bed.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:29:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That what I was thinking in my head. The reason it seems so unnatural my thumb is around the side of the pistol parallel to the ground. I guess it comes down to each persons preference.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/427565/IMG-0119-166013.JPG
View Quote

At first glance you may want to take care with that leather holster as it would appear that the top edge of sweat/body shield is starting to curl outward.  While it may not be an issue now, sometime in the near future it could be as you reholster and that curl as it gets exaggerated curls more outward and has the potential to catch the shoe safety.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm still bouncing around the thought of getting one; (Really a good read OP in your write up)
Just feel $80 for a small piece seems a bit much, and wish they had them in stores to see and try before committing to $80.
View Quote

It's machined steel, made in America.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I had not. But now that I have read more of the article and I am a little more familiar with it, it looks even more like a solution to a problem no one had.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, doubling down on judgement sans data.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#37]
I should probably get one when they have reduced pre-travel models.  My trigger pull is quite light/short.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Huh?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:30:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I got one when they first started their fund-me.  It's installed on my G19 Gen4.
It works very well and is a quality build.  It definitely prevents trigger pull when even lightly pressed.
But it's $80 fraking dollars for two small pieces of aluminum and a roll pin.  I just don't see that many being sold.  Maybe it would go well at $40 or so.

TYCOM
View Quote

If you can make one for less, then have at it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:36:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Huh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?

You still have not seen one nor used one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:09:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't need too. Between the article and the YouTube video that is enough research to say that the product is designed to solve a problem that near statistical zero.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:18:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If I fail to train I train to fail.

"Well, no.  Several lawsuits were filed by law enforcement personnel.  Many of these lawsuits were attempting to blame
Glock for negligent discharges when disassembling the pistol in order to
clean as one must pull the trigger in order to disassemble it.
 Nonetheless, there were and inevitably will be more, lawsuits resulting
from negligent discharges when attempting to reholster a Glock pistol.
 Some examples are:
1. An FBI agent
2. Massachusetts officer shoots hole through pants reholstering
3. Officer Bill McMahan
4. Harlan County"

"So, do we have a mechanical problem with Glocks and other pistols that have
the safety on the trigger or do we have a training problem?
 Obviously, every pistol owner should take a training class that goes
beyond the good Lieutenant Colonel’s Four Rules.  However, with full time law enforcement personnel experiencing negligent discharges from their issued Glocks they were
trained to use, should we not expect negligent discharges from Glock
owning citizens?  The answer is “yes” and aside from the very real
(though not widespread) danger of negligently firing a Glock when
reholstering, "

While we are here point out to me where I find the answer to the first
sentence in my last quote. I am clearly under educated and trained as a
civilian so it my be a mute point. For that I must truly apologize.
View Quote

If you feel like you're talking and no one is listening, you're probably right.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I don't need too. Between the article and the YouTube video that is enough research to say that the product is designed to solve a problem that near statistical zero.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man dies while reholstering

Or this

worn holster causes discharge
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:14:08 AM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man dies while reholstering

Or this

worn holster causes discharge

Jump to 30:15 and listen to how a jacket tassel caused an discharge while reholstering during a shooting class

Erik Trek explains how a student's jacket tassel causing discharge in his class
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll just bet you don't need to train nor compete, either.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

The same could be said of carrying a gun.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Jump to 30:15 and listen to how a jacket tassel caused an discharge while reholstering during a shooting class

Erik Trek explains how a student's jacket tassel causing discharge in his class
View Quote
You found 3 cases out 10s of million of Glocks in the world. I would call that statistical zero.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'll just bet you don't need to train nor compete, either.
View Quote
Nice try, but I do both. Train when time and money allows. Compete in 1-2 matches a month.

Do you have any arguments that deal with the merits of the product, or will it just be more ad hominem attacks of those that don't think the product is worth the cost?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The same could be said of carrying a gun.
View Quote
I would have to disagree on that. On any given night in any large city you will hear of multiple events that would justify the use of a firearm for self defense. We don't, however, hear a whole lot about negligent discharges happening when people holster their weapons, except for the 3 mentioned above.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I would have to disagree on that. On any given night in any large city you will hear of multiple events that would justify the use of a firearm for self defense. We don't, however, hear a whole lot about negligent discharges happening when people holster their weapons, except for the 3 mentioned above.
View Quote
Several events in a city of millions of people is statistically insignificant. The odds are great that you will go your entire life without needing a gun to defend yourself and yet you carry one. Given the expense that goes along with that decision, it's interesting that you have a problem with a $79 device that you can choose not to buy.

As far as NDs, how would we hear about them? Are negligent discharges going to be on the news?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top