Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2015 12:33:43 PM EDT
I currently carry a smith and wesson shield. I am selling that firearm for various reasons, so my focus turns back to a standard double stack magazine pistol. I have no interest in the G43, or any single stack ultra compact firearm for that matter. I currently own a G19 which is my night stand gun / OWB light bearing carry option. I see so many people saying that a G19 is close enough to a 26 to where if you can conceal a 26 then you can essentially carry a 19.

I did carry my M&P9 a few times and definitely felt like the gun wanted to poke out when I bent over or got out of my car. FWIW I was carrying in Garret, I think a super tuck would have been much better. I am kind of skeptical I could carry a G19 and have it be even moderately close to as comfortable and wearable as my shield is, which is why I am thinking I need to check out a 26 and take what ever little edge I can get. FWIW I workout as a hobby so I do have an athletic build. I dress a little bit more fitted, definitely no gangsta xl moo moos in my clothes rotation. I work at a shop and in some circumstances I am in the back of a box truck bent over a compressor or HW pressure washer which mercilessly pulls my shirt up to the point it will expose my gun. I try to counter this by wearing a hood, but in summertime thats not really an option.

So those who own/owned both, get a second 19? Check out the 26?
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I borrowed and shot a 19 for a GSSF match, then bought a G 26 as my own.  I prefer the 26   I use the GAP floor plates.  The 26 will use both 19 and 17 mags when not needing to conceal

Brian

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a 19 and grip chop it so it's a 26

Best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]
19 best size for carry and everything else.  26 IMO is to small and more compromise than benefit.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#4]
One vote for the 19, but its a personal choice. Get what you shoot well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I owned a GEN 4 G26 for awhile and loved it..........my buddy then got a G19 and I felt under powered having 10rds while he had 15 so I sold my 26 and got myself a G19 GEN 4......missed the 26 but loved the 19 even more.

the girlfriend just bought a GEN 3 26 yesterday and we took it to the range...........now that I am used to the 19 the 26 feels TINY, but man it reminded me why I ever had one in the first place when I tucked it in my basketball shorts at 1pm with an IWB.  I will deff grab another 26 for myself for beach / pool / gym days, etc
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I have both, love them both, and while I use and carry the 26 far more often than the 19, I would choose to keep the 19 if I could only have one or the other. While I prefer the 26 for EDC, the 19 IMO is the more versatile of the two.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Have two G19's.  I prefer it over my other 9mm Glocks for carry.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Get both

I'm kidding. If you can only have one, I'd get the 19. Small enough to conceal for most, handles like a full-size with ability to take 17 and 18 mags, ability to mount a light (this was a must for my HD purposes).

I had a 17 and 26 at one point. Sold both to fund my 19 and TLR-1.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#9]
One of the issues with concealed carry is the " straw that breaks the camels back" phenomenon- meaning sometimes a gun just a hair smaller carries for a particular person based on body type environment carry method or what have you much better than one just a bit bigger. I have both a 19 and 26, and can say ( especially in light of being in a state with a ten round mag limit,negating some of the advantage of the 19) I find the 26 carries better and have never found from arms reach to 25 yards and beyond any on target or time difference in the two guns performance.
Another factor for the 26 is some carry methods realistic with the 26 ( pocket carry in cargo baggy shorts, ankle carry) are near impossible with a 19. If forced to keep one or the other I would keep my 26. I went to a Ken Hackathorn class this year shooting a 26 and had no issues keeping up very well with the rest of the students regarding speed and accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I own both.
As has been said here, body type and carry method make  big difference. For me, the 26 hides every time and the 19 just can't quite hide as well all of the time. I'm not a big guy and have a slim build.
I also shoot the 26 better. But that boils down to training and trigger time on it. All of my courses (except the revolver training) has been with the 26.

You already have a 19 so I vote the 26. It does everything the 19 does only in a smaller package. The 26 can have a longer mag or pinky extension and handle like tge 19, but the 19 can't temporarily be made smaller in the grip.

YMMV.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#11]
If 19 is the question, 19 is the answer.

BTW I have two 19s and would only get a 26 if I got a good deal
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#12]
The 26 is more versatile. but you won't know until you buy one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the replies. I will be listing my shield up and shopping for a 26 then. Going to check the EE for a holster as well
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Get the 19.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#15]
The 26 is slightly easier to conceal. But for me, it was difficult to get a good grip when drawing. I tried extended basepads, which helped a lot. But at that point the grip was essentially the same size as the 19. I also didn't shoot the 26 as well, probably because I have far more time with the 19 and 17.  To me, the slight edge in concealment was more than offset by the 5 round reduction and the grip problems I had with it, so the 26 went away.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#16]
19. I sold my 26 years ago. It's a great shooter but the size difference, particularly the thickness, isn't enough different from the 19.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#17]
19 to start with.  26 later.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I skipped the G19.

G17 and G26

Go for the G26. Great little gun.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:42:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I thought I would really like a 26 since I love my 19, but for some reason I just didn't get on too well with it. I carry my 19 daily and just plain shot it better than the 26. Ended up trading it for my 43 for a really easy to conceal package.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:57:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I own both of them. I carry the Glock 26 easily AIWB.
I love my 19 but the only way I can carry it is OWB at 3:00.
Looking at them there doesn't seem like like there is much size difference but TO ME, in the waistband the 19 is just to big.
I shoot both of them about the same, and do not use mag extensions on the 26. I want the carry gun as small as possible.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 2:35:58 AM EDT
[#21]
It's the thickness.  It really is just as easy to conceal a G19 as a G26.

G43 vs G26 is a huge difference. The G43 is easy to make disappear...... G26 not so much. The difference in concealing the five extra rounds of the G19 vs the G26 is so insignificant that I opt for the 15+1 every time. The three extra rounds of the G26 vs the G43 isn't worth the much greater difficulty to conceal, IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#22]
It comes down to personal preference and the size of your hand.  
A G19 will give you a full grip, with a moderate sized barrel, longer sight radius.
A G26 offers a short grip with a short barrel.  Shorter sight radius.
BOTH have the same width/thickness.  Both have the same internals, triggers, etc.

I personally prefer the G17, the full size.  It is just as easy to conceal as the G19.
Truth be told, I shoot the 17 and 26 great, but cannot shoot the 19 nearly as well.....I don't get it, but the 17 fits the bill for my needs.

G26.

G19.

G17.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#23]
of my 17,19,26 and 43 I like the 19 the least.

My g-19 is the one which gets used/packed the least.  its a great gun but the 26 can take the same mags as the 19 and 17 so why use the mid sized one.

If you have man sized hands the g17 is the only one you will get the full grip with everything else is a comprimise.

If I it was me I would start with the 43 or 26.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I skipped the G19.

http://mygunculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/glock-26-gen-4-and-glock-17-gen-4-pistol-comparison.jpg

G17 and G26

Go for the G26. Great little gun.
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
ability to mount a light (this was a must for my HD purposes).

View Quote

This is the exact reason I have 19s.  Once I realized that my CC pistol and my HD pistol could be the same (19 w/ XC1), I couldn't have been more thrilled.  I had always been in search of the "one gun."
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I currently carry a smith and wesson shield. I am selling that firearm for various reasons, so my focus turns back to a standard double stack magazine pistol. I have no interest in the G43, or any single stack ultra compact firearm for that matter. I currently own a G19 which is my night stand gun / OWB light bearing carry option. I see so many people saying that a G19 is close enough to a 26 to where if you can conceal a 26 then you can essentially carry a 19.

I did carry my M&P9 a few times and definitely felt like the gun wanted to poke out when I bent over or got out of my car. FWIW I was carrying in Garret, I think a super tuck would have been much better. I am kind of skeptical I could carry a G19 and have it be even moderately close to as comfortable and wearable as my shield is, which is why I am thinking I need to check out a 26 and take what ever little edge I can get. FWIW I workout as a hobby so I do have an athletic build. I dress a little bit more fitted, definitely no gangsta xl moo moos in my clothes rotation. I work at a shop and in some circumstances I am in the back of a box truck bent over a compressor or HW pressure washer which mercilessly pulls my shirt up to the point it will expose my gun. I try to counter this by wearing a hood, but in summertime thats not really an option.

View Quote

Get the 19 and have the grip chopped for 26 mags.  That way you can keep the sight radius you're used to and get the concealability of the shorter grips and can use any 9mm mag that glock or other aftermarket providers make.  Plus you get to keep the light rail.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm not too bothered by the shorter slide of the 26.  If I want a bigger grip for more capacity and maybe a bit more grip I can opt for a G19 mag with a X Grip adapter.  I shoot my 26 every bit as well as about any 19 I've ever tried and more than well enough to qualify it as a primary duty weapon.  

Do I want a 19?  Sure, you bet I do.  Just because it's a different model from my 26.  But my 26 is a darned versatile little pistol.  It's light years ahead of what was around when I was starting out.  But then again I'm also wanting a 17.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This is the exact reason I have 19s.  Once I realized that my CC pistol and my HD pistol could be the same (19 w/ XC1), I couldn't have been more thrilled.  I had always been in search of the "one gun."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a good argument.    

I had a 26.  Nice pistol - the only problem is what role does it fill, carry wise?  It's too big to be a pocket gun for most people.    Might be better in a fanny pack but that is sort of a lousy method of carry.   On the belt the G19 is just about as concealable.  The one area where a G26 might be the most suitable is as an ankle carry.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Get the 19 and have the grip chopped for 26 mags.  That way you can keep the sight radius you're used to and get the concealability of the shorter grips and can use any 9mm mag that glock or other aftermarket providers make.  Plus you get to keep the light rail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could do that. But in something like a IWB holster are you really gaining that much in concealability with the shorter grip?  People just aren't that observant.  Just my 2 cents but this is a lot of work for marginal benefit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#30]
if you already own a 19 don't you know whether or not you'd want another? Try it out for a couple days. You've already got it. If it doesn't work, figure out why and then buy something that fixes those issues.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Try out the 26. Even though a lot of people will say there isn't enough difference, there are plenty of people that feel that there are. Options are a good thing to have.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I got tired of the "one gun".

Want a light, you can on the G26 and the G43.

G26 with a Viridian

G43 with a Streamlight
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm getting a 19 soon. I currently have a 17 and a 26. I love my 26 it's a very accurate pistol for its size. Easy to conceal and carry.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:28:16 AM EDT
[#34]
I am very confident in my decision to purchase a G26.

1) I am not a broke 21 year old, I can afford having a second pistol which would more specifically suit my application of daily carry

2) I feel like I need to take what I can get in terms of forgiveness. I work a physical job and often have to get into awkward physical positions while a customer is standing over my shoulder watching. Its the perfect opportunity for a whoops shirt got hung up while I was bent over a engine and the customer is getting front row seats

3) I ordered a comptac ctac for a 26 today
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I would say this, if you can get over the pinky under the grip thing, which for some reason many cant, then the G26 is not bad.  On the 26, if you start adding plus 2 bases and extenders etc to inscrease the grip size it will be the length of the 19.  Then you are just down to the longer slide which just goes deeper in the holster.  (hence most decide for a practical purposes they can carry a 19 where they carry a 26)

I carry my 26 with a flat bottom mag and the spare is a 17 mag most of the time.  I have all the 9s, but over the years they added models.  If I could start over I would just get a ton of 19s and 34s.  if I could only have one glock I guess it would the 17.

I hate decisions like this. FWIW, if you can find a used glock they never wear out.   And used 26s are usually other people's 2nd glock.  Which means they are carry / purse queens and the bigger glocks go the range.  So in my opinion a used 26 is usually a safe purchase, and you wont feel as bad about experimenting on different models.  my g26 was a cash used 350$ model.  Been carrying it for 14 years off and on.  Or its the truck gun and just sleeps there.

one is none btw, if you ever use it its evidence for years if you are lucky.  further, if you are out and your place burns / robbed, house glock is gone.  on and on. Don't think twice about having 2.  then 4, then 8.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Hey fellas. So there was a lot of feedback in here, and I know you all have seen a glock before, but......

Picked it up from a younger guy who was back in town for Christmas (in military). Claimed it had 200 rounds through it and condition looked as such. Has glock night sights, pierce grips on two of the mags, talon grips, and a holster which I have never heard of but honestly felt ok when I threw it on real quick. He was asking a fair price and I did not bother to try and get it cheaper in light of his circumstances and I felt like it was priced reasonably.

Comp tac C-tac is inbound as well. Glad that I got this squared away over the long weekend because the shield is going bye bye saturday and pocket carrying my 442 at work has been annoying as hell when I have to bend over to grab stuff
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hey fellas. So there was a lot of feedback in here, and I know you all have seen a glock before, but......

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u42/turbomunkey/25d8e451-1bdc-4991-a64c-74f64bde768b_zpszqvjj1jf.jpg

Picked it up from a younger guy who was back in town for Christmas (in military). Claimed it had 200 rounds through it and condition looked as such. Has glock night sights, pierce grips on two of the mags, talon grips, and a holster which I have never heard of but honestly felt ok when I threw it on real quick. He was asking a fair price and I did not bother to try and get it cheaper in light of his circumstances and I felt like it was priced reasonably.

Comp tac C-tac is inbound as well. Glad that I got this squared away over the long weekend because the shield is going bye bye saturday and pocket carrying my 442 at work has been annoying as hell when I have to bend over to grab stuff
View Quote

Congrats!  I took my 26 and my J frame out yesterday for a quick shooting session. Without a doubt I shoot the 26 much better than the J frame!  I would like to pick up a 43 to replace my  J frame.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#38]
if only one, the G26...just cause you can make a gun bigger, but you cant make it smaller for concealment

but since you already got a shield for small purposes, the G19 w/out a doubt
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#39]
You'll like the CTAC for the G26. It conceals very well.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Should be here monday I hope. The dude sat on it for two days. ..
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:04:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Hope you enjoy your G26!  They are good little pistols.

Here's a comparison picture I took awhile back showing the grip dimensions of the G19 and G26 compared.  

I definitely find the G26 to conceal easier than the G19 in some situations.  That said, I carry a G34/X300 Ultra now and neither my 19 or 26 get much holster time anymore.  I'm starting to fall into the camp of not really needing a G19 because it doesn't really fill a role anymore.  I used to have two of them when they were my primary EDC but sold one now that the 34 is my primary.  If I need smaller than my 34 I'll usually drop to the 26.  

If I could only have one Glock it would be a G19.  If I could only have two it would be a G34 and a G26 (or grip chopped G19).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top