Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2015 2:52:03 PM EDT
Has anyone had any range time with HD Night Sights and their G43?

I am debating picking up a set for my 43.  The sights were originally made for the 42 so i am concerned about POI shift when compared to the factory sights.
The .380 round performs quit a bit differently than 9 mm.

Thanks a bunch,
-G_B
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#1]
This is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I've shot a few hundred rounds with them on my 43 so far and I'm very happy.  POI is maybe an inch high for me at 7-10 yards.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've shot a few hundred rounds with them on my 43 so far and I'm very happy.  POI is maybe an inch high for me at 7-10 yards.
View Quote

How are you holding the sight picture?

I have a XS Big Dot on a revolver and you cover the target with the "big dot" with these sights.
I dont like this sight picture but live with it because its a close-in gun and it works for that.  It is by far not a precision sight, just meant for speed.
I take it that you dont shoot with this hold using the Trijicons.  
Also, different folks shoot different ways.
I am curious about that hitting an inch high at close range.  What is your hold with that sight picture?

If i got my terminology right, do you "drive the dot" or do you place what you want to hit on the top edge of the front sight?
(assuming driving the dot means covering the target)

also, some folks shoot close in cover with the dot and then for distance place the target on top the sight....

so many dang factors
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I have  Big Dots on my G43 and love it. Bold and bright. From 0-10 yds is POA/POI center mass.  For a larger weapon I would go with regular 3 dot sights but for a CCW weapon I like these big dots. Easy to install and only needed minor windage adjustment on the rear to get centered.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:23:03 AM EDT
[#5]
OST
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Ive read the 43 sights are the same. But this does interest me to see if they perform differently based on caliber.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I put the Truglo TFO's for a 42 on my 43 and they work perfectly 10 yards and in. works just like the factory sights. I can't imagine other sights would be any different.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I should have never opened this thread. Have HD sights on two of my Glocks. Where does the madness end?

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I put the Truglo TFO's for a 42 on my 43 and they work perfectly 10 yards and in. works just like the factory sights. I can't imagine other sights would be any different.
View Quote

Glock OEM has different front and rear sight heights than the Trijicons.
Glock OEM (and from what i have read about Ameriglo) have a front sight height of .165 in. and a rear sight height (overall) of .24 in.
Trijicon HD has a front sight height of .215 in and a rear sight height (overall) of .291 in.
i could not find the information on the Truglo sights but they could be the same as Glock OEM or whatever their engineers determined to be good.

I subtracted the OEM front sight from the OEM rear sight heights and came up with .075
I did the same for the Trijicon and came up with .076
But later realized that this didnt tell me anything other than the difference between the OEM and TRIJICON front and rear heights, not the angle for which each sight set are set up.  
It was nonsensical to do...
I am a historian, not a mathmagician

any smart people in here know how to figure this out?
OR, more range reports on the performance of these sights???

I also called up Trijicon today and they told me that i may need to order my rear and front sight as not part of a set but rather individually as they offer different height front sights.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:25:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I pit the Glock 42 trijicon HD night sights on my glock 43. I love them. They look great, the front sight is very easily picked up, and I can shoot very accurately with them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I pit the Glock 42 trijicon HD night sights on my glock 43. I love them. They look great, the front sight is very easily picked up, and I can shoot very accurately with them.
View Quote

How sharp is the front sight? Would it potentially catch on a pocket?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

aside from AR167 asking if the front sight might snag on the pocket,

is it shooting point of aim or does it have some other hold on it?
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#13]
i figured that i would wait a while and resurrect my thread to see if anyone else had anything to say on the subject.

I looked at some Ameriglo Proglo sights and they were machined well.  The set i was looking at had dirt and and residue from shooting in the orange part of the front sight but it was still highly visible.  It was at a gun shop, indoors, on a used gun and the front sight didn't really "pop" the way i expected it to.  This may be due to the lighting...
I was not as impressed with the Ameriglo as i hoped that i would have been. I wish the rear sight would have been serrated,  I liked that they were made to original sight height.
I haven't had a chance to look at the Trijicon HD in person so i dont know if they will look any different. They look really tall in the online photos, especially for a tiny gun like the G43.

I am still a little concerned about POA/POI issues as i have read a few posts in other threads on here about that being the case.  A few folks have told me that it shoots POA.  
So, just wanting to hear what others have to say....
I am probably making a bigger deal out of this than i should be...
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Glock OEM (and from what i have read about Ameriglo) have a front sight height of .165 in. and a rear sight height (overall) of .24 in.
Trijicon HD has a front sight height of .215 in and a rear sight height (overall) of .291 in.
i could not find the information on the Truglo sights but they could be the same as Glock OEM or whatever their engineers determined to be good.

I subtracted the OEM front sight from the OEM rear sight heights and came up with .075
But later realized that this didnt tell me anything other than the difference between the OEM and TRIJICON front and rear heights, not the angle for which each sight set are set up.  

I also called up Trijicon today and they told me that i may need to order my rear and front sight as not part of a set but rather individually as they offer different height front sights.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds to me based on your calculations that the oem and HD sights should have the same POI
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sounds to me based on your calculations that the oem and HD sights should have the same POI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the long slide glock 9mm has the same sight heights as the g43.
The Trijicon HD sights for the long slide glock are not the same in height as the ones they make for the g43.  
this kind of threw me off.
I did not factor in height over bore with the sights just how tall the sights are on top of the slide..

I am at the point, now, to just hear folks experience with the HD sights mounted on their guns.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 3:43:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I shot my 43 with HDs the other day and didn't have any issue with POA/POI. Everything looked like it was hitting dead on.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I got a set of TruGlo Brite-Sites for my 42. Had to send the front back in for warranty work, due to a lose tritium vial. TruGlo took care of me and the sights are great. They are twice as bright as the Trijicon HDs on my 19.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:50:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 12:35:22 AM EDT
[#20]
this is an image from the Glock Armorers Handbook.  The sights are zero'd for a center hold at 25m

looking at the height of the HD sights, it seems that they use the center of the front dot as the aiming point

and yes, the 42 and 43 both use the 6.1mm rear sight

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 12:59:29 AM EDT
[#21]
All the HD sights on all my Glocks (all 9mms) print about 4-5" high above POA at 25yds and that's not acceptable for me. Fortunately they sell taller HD front sights, and I almost always need to buy the tallest ones they offer. I've put the original HD front sights on my Airsoft and SIRT guns so it's not a complete loss. The only bummer is that it takes a month or two to get the correct heights delivered (from OpticsPlanet which is the only place I could find selling fronts.)

Had the same problem with Heinie Straight 8's. Heinie even has/had a statement on their website about some 9mm Glocks needing taller fronts.

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The HD's are what I would call "tall" Glock sights, which usually requires a 6:00 hold for pinpoint accuracy. That seems to be how the HDs shoot on my 42.
View Quote

Same here on my 42 and 43 with HD's.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The HD's are what I would call "tall" Glock sights, which usually requires a 6:00 hold for pinpoint accuracy. That seems to be how the HDs shoot on my 42.

how much hold under?
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#24]
mistake
double post type thing
forgot that i posted after i refreshed the page
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

What am I missing? A "tall" front sight shoots low compared to a shorter front sight. A 6:00 hold will make the POI even lower.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

how much hold under?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

how much hold under?

Hilton Yam On Sights
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

how much hold under?

Hilton Yam On Sights

All of my guns shoot point of aim=point of impact.  (sight picture #2)
I dont do six o'clock holds or any of that jazz on anything i have.  I also dont have combat sights on any of the guns that i own.  They are all adjustable and i have them adjusted to hit dead on.  One exceptoin is the LCP i have and it shoots dead on even with those tiny sights milled into the slide.

I know this is a defensive gun but i also like to go target shooting.  I will use this G43 as a range gun/target gun along with its primary purpose of a carry gun.  
So, if i have to hold off more than one inch, i am not going to like it.  I can do Kentucky windage and i know how to hold over but having sights that are always off is not something that i would think highly of.  

I am wanting the HD sights because after looking at a G19 with Ameriglo sights, i am not all that impressed with how bright their paint is (it looks dull).  If the Trijicons are hitting too much off point of aim then I dont think that I will get them because I cant afford to buy additional front sight posts, crossing my fingers and hope they work.  Money is tight for me.  I just cant afford to do trial and error, especially when the manufacture should be putting the correct front sight in the kit.
If anything, they should offer a set of plastic temporary front sights that you can use to see which front sight you need with your gun.Then after you determine the height you need, you can send off for a front sight that works with your rear.  This would be an optimal program since everyone seems to be having trouble.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top