Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2003 8:54:04 PM EDT
I carry a Kimber Custom II full size and am wondering what brand of shoulder holster I should considering purchasing for Concealed Carry.  Any input would be a wonderful help, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The weight may be a factor to you. After 4 or more hours of carrying a full sized weapon around, a shoulder holster really begins to loose it's value.
The straps that cross over your shoulders really dig in. Even when balanced on both sides, they will pull you down.
I've found a shoulder holster to work well with jackets, but for over-shirts unbuttoned, the wind usually exposes it.
Excellent for sitting down in the car though. Very fast to get out.
The weight issue is the biggest problem. Cross draw eliminates some of the bad, but it is tough to conceal. Tough to reach at a 9 o'clock position too.
-Steve
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 12:02:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Why not an IWB (Inside the Waist Band) holster?  Pros don't use shoulder holsters anymore, in general.  (drivers being an exception, though a cross-draw may be more effective).

Your build, the weapon's weight and shape, and your flexibility are all concerns to be taken into account with a holster.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#3]
True, build is something of a concern.  I am a big guy weighing in about 230lbs and standing 6'6''.  I have been considering getting a Kimber Ultra Carry or perhaps a Springfield Armory Ultra Compact but am not sure of the performance and that definitely would make it easier to carry.  I am unsure however of the performance of a shoulder holster and the posted opinions have been helpful but are there any other suggestions as to what I should do . . .either invest in another weapon or perhaps in a different holster.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a shoulder holster and never wear it. Why? Because it limits you to ALWAYS keeping the jacket/coat on.

I carry IWB with a Versa Max-2. My carry gun is Springfield's Compact LW with a 4" barrel. I carry all day and it never wears me out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Shoulder holsters are great for outside carry of large pistols while wearing heavy winter clothes, and for looking cool while posing at the range, and not very much else.

Ditto the VersaMax as well as several other IWB holsters out there...all leather. You might also consider a good, high-ride OWB that pulls it very close and tight like the CC-AT or NLG. Here (FL) in summer, you just sometimes have to look at something smaller like an airweight snub, etc.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top