Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 12:48:49 PM EDT
First time being pulled over
Got pulled over today on my way to lunch by CSP, and it went very well. Got pulled over for cracked windshield, been trying to save some money to get it replaced i told him and he said
well i understand, just see if you can get it taken care of asap. then he asked me for license proof of insurance and registration. Handed then all to him along with my CHP, he looked at them then asked me if i was carring and i told him yes it is on my right hip, then he told me just to leave it
where it was and handed my CHP and insurance card back took my
license and said he'll be right back. Came back a couple of
minutes later and handed my license and a contact card and said have a good day and sent me on my way without a ticket.

Hope i did that right, as far as handing him my license and
CHP and the other paper work, and not say anything about having a concealed weapon first. What do you think?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#1]
In OK if you get pulled over, immediate notification is required if you are carrying.  If you tell them five minutes later, they might not be too happy with you.  Of course, if the LEO was in a good mood, and you were polite, maybe they'd let it slide.  But I wouldn't count on it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hope i did that right, as far as handing him my license and
CHP and the other paper work, and not say anything about having a concealed weapon first. What do you think?

Well, in TX we have to tell them at the time they ask for our license.  I believe in CO you don't have to tell them at all, correct?  I think you did fine.  Whatever you do, make sure you tell them in a way that doesn't alarm them.  Don't start the sentence with "I HAVE A GUN!" or anything dumb like that and you're fine.  I think you made a good choice by handing him your CHP as a way of telling him, so his initial realization would be an understanding that you're legally carrying.

One time I was pulled over and the cop was small talking me, so I initiated the conversation about my CHL.  I did that because I wanted him to know ASAP because I thought he'd appreciate it.  He did, and we ended up BS'ing about guns a little.  He was pro-CCW and a pretty cool guy.

Another time I was pulled over, the cop was so quick about asking for my license that I didn't have time to tell him before that point.  He really didn't like me carrying and made it known with his attitude and the citation.  Whatever, takes all types.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Since almost all CCW holders are good people, I want to know right away.

I don't target good people and rarely do good people deserve a ticket.

And we need more gun toting fools out there to reduce the criminal population
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:41:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Both times ive been stopped I gave them my CCW and let them know.  Both times they took it to check if it was stolen.  It went well both times, hopefully it does next time i don't get stopped again.

You aren't required to tell them in IN though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:12:48 AM EDT
[#5]
In Michigan, we are required to inform them immediately. Obviously, their reactions may vary with their opinions (to which they are entitled, but about which I don't give a rat's posterrior).

When they appoach, I now calmly state "I am required by law to inform you that I am carrying a concealed firearm". They can take the lead from there.

I once had a State Troopper get really pissed when I didn't inform him, as I wasn't carrying and WAS NOT REQUIRED to merely inform him I had a CPL. Sucks he didn't know the law, but now if I were to get pulled over when not carrying (unlikely) I would inform them of the CPL anyway, as a courtessy (and to guard against potential ignorance!).
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:39:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Tbone, I would tell them if I wasn't carrying anyway.  I would imagine they would appreciate the upfront honesty.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Both times ive been stopped I gave them my CCW and let them know.  Both times they took it to check if it was stolen.  It went well both times, hopefully it does next time i don't get stopped again.

From Oklahoma's Self-Defense Act:

Title 21 Section 1290.8 Possession of license required-notification to police of gun

<snip>
E.  Nothing in this section shall be construed to authorize a law enforcement officer to inspect any weapon properly concealed without probable cause that a crime has been committed.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want a performance evaluation, you get a C which is passing.
You arguably fulfilled disclosure when approached but you could have done better.
An A plus is to get out and inform the officer immediately that you are carrying.
A B is that you wait for him to get to the car and the first thing that comes out of your mouth is disclosure. No big deal, but next time, I'd disclose immediately because an anti CCW cop on a bad day might make an example out of you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Around here, the officers generally prefer you to remain in the vehicle unless asked to exit. Is it different elswhere? They'd probably say "get back in your car, please".  

I sit there not moving, hands in sight until he arrives. If it's dark, I'll turn on interrior lights. Sometimes they'll ask that I turn them off. I don't reach for anything (including wallet) until  it is requested of me.

A traffic stop can be a very dangerous thing for a LEO, and I think they  generally appreciate it when you do everything in your power to ease their mind early on (pretty much as I have descrbed above). And I will now inform them of my CPL, even if I'm not carrying. Just to avoid any anger on their part (in case they also don't know the law).
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:31:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Around here, the officers generally prefer you to remain in the vehicle unless asked to exit. Is it different elswhere? They'd probably say "get back in your car, please".  

+1

Getting out of your car is a great way to get shot.

I don't get the logic that the ideal thing for a CHL holder to do is get out of the vehicle.  That makes you an eve  bigger threat to the officer.  Unless your logic is that your gun is in your car, not on your hip, but in that case the cop has know way of knowing it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:45:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From Oklahoma's Self-Defense Act:

Title 21 Section 1290.8 Possession of license required-notification to police of gun

<snip>
E.  Nothing in this section shall be construed to authorize a law enforcement officer to inspect any weapon properly concealed without probable cause that a crime has been committed.

I honestly don't know what the Indiana law says about them taking it to check if its stolen or not.  I'm going to find that out though, just so I know.  

I'm not sure how I felt about them taking it either time.  In each case they were respectful about it.  

I'm kind of leaning towards not caring that they checked to see if it was stolen.  If I had a pistol stolen and it was recovered in a stop like this, i'd be happy they did it.  

However, I'm not real excited about having them remove it from my holster and risking an ND.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:38:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You arguably fulfilled disclosure when approached but you could have done better.
An A plus is to get out and inform the officer immediately that you are carrying.
A B is that you wait for him to get to the car and the first thing that comes out of your mouth is disclosure. No big deal, but next time, I'd disclose immediately because an anti CCW cop on a bad day might make an example out of you.

I can see it now, gets out of car and then "hey, i'm armed!"  

We've been instructed to remain in the vehicle, hands at 11 and 1 o'clock position on the wheel with insurance and license/chl in hand.  

Getting out is asking for trouble IMHO
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:07:36 AM EDT
[#13]
There was a lawyer that talked to us during the OK Concealed Carry class.  His personal recommendation during a traffic stop.

1. Vehicle in Park or Neutral + E Brake
2. Kill engine/radio
3. If at night time, illuminate dome/overhead light.
4. Don't go digging for your wallet or other paperwork.
5. Have window rolled down.
6. Hands up (not on the steering wheel.  Rationale is cops can't see your hands on the wheel while they are still in their car)
7. Inform LEO about you carrying and having the license.
8. Let them take it from there.

No fast moves.  Always keep both hands in plain sight.  Once the cop is at your window and talking with you, hands on the steering wheel works.  Just don't move 'em until he says so  

Being polite the whole time helps, too.  All of these steps should be followed everytime (except step 7 if you AREN'T carrying), the LEO would certainly appreciate it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:20:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Bad advice.  The cop probably has called your plates in and already knows you have a CHL.  He sees you getting out of the car, he is going to get real nervous.  Just sit in the car with your hands on the wheel and have your chl and license ready to hand him.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#15]
In Oregon we are NOT required to tell them AT ALL! I was in a serios vehicle accident last summer, it was right at the city limits sugn, so 2 B&Ws from city got there first, then 2 unmarked city cops (plain cloths, detectives?), then 2 county mountys, then a plain cloths county guy. (YES, I said at the beginning "serios vehicle accident!".

Anyhow, I had my 1911 full size springfield on right hip and double mag carrier on left hip, covered with a hawian shirt. I had to give them all my info, but I never once offered my CHL, no one said anything at all. I got a ticket for no insureance ($280).

What's your state law?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Getting out of your car is a great way to get shot? that is the moronic post of the day

I have been pulled over a few times and different cops prefer different things. I have been asked to remain in my car and I have also been met by the LE at my trunk. Did anybody posting this stuff consider the time of day and the area?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Getting out of your car is a great way to get shot? that is the moronic post of the day

I have been pulled over a few times and different cops prefer different things. I have been asked to remain in my car and I have also been met by the LE at my trunk. Did anybody posting this stuff consider the time of day and the area?

Great!  So you've done what the cop asked you to!  I would never fault you for that.

But getting out of your car without being asked to by the cop is stupid, and it's moronic advice to give somebody.  That is NOT how you should act, with or without a CHL.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Notification of CCW is not required in Colorado, but it's good to be nice to the man, since he'll see it on his computer anyway. I believe in professional courtesy.

He is allowed to disarm you pursuant to a lawful stop, and he must return your firearm to you upon your release.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

But getting out of your car without being asked to by the cop is stupid, and it's moronic advice to give somebody.  That is NOT how you should act, with or without a CHL.

+1....

Criminals like to leave their cars....it gets them away from their dope, gun under the seat, out of the stolen car, leaving the body in the trunk, so they can shoot you easier or run away.

NEVER get out unless you are asked too. There is no reason why you should just hop out of your car.

Of course the cops in the south are friendly and have maintained the highest number of officers killed for some time.....so, maybe their friendly overly nice approach is what you are used to, but that is an unsafe situation that most cops don't embrace.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:31:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can see it now, gets out of car and then "hey, i'm armed!"  

We've been instructed to remain in the vehicle, hands at 11 and 1 o'clock position on the wheel with insurance and license/chl in hand.  

Getting out is asking for trouble IMHO

lol I was thinking the same thing.  No thanks, I'll sit in the car and wait :P  However, I've not been pulled over once yet *grin*
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:43:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Getting out of the car and announcing that you are carrying is bad advice.

I think the original poster did just fine.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey guys

I'm new to the site.  I am a few weeks away from becoming a peace officer here in Texas.
The only advise that I can give is , when being pulled over by a P.O.,  stay in your car.  Do not get out.  Traffic stops are one of the scariest things an officer encounters.  It puts the officer in defence moad.   When pulled over, simply turn off the vehicle,  apply your hazzards, have your license, insurance and if need be, your registration in hand.  Then wait.  Usually the officer dosen't get excited that you have a concealed handgun.  Of course being you have a license to carry.  Here in Texas  when your pulled over,  you need to give your CHL with your DL.  It's the law.  Failure to do so will result in trouble.  Being that traffic stops are dangerous to an officer all over the U.S.,  I'd just stay in the car.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I disagree with a couple of things in your post...especially since you aren't on the street yet, you might not know.

DO NOT go fumbling around to get your license, insurance and registration before the officer gets to the window. If I see some fool going through his glovebox, center console, then trying to get his DL out, it is going to raise some flags. I would advise to sit still until the officer asks you for your information. All that movement can not be fully observed and I have no idea what they are doing.

Having it all ready is a dream and it is much better for me to watch them look for the items than to have them fumbling around in the car while I am approaching.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I disagree with a couple of things in your post...especially since you aren't on the street yet, you might not know.

DO NOT go fumbling around to get your license, insurance and registration before the officer gets to the window. If I see some fool going through his glovebox, center console, then trying to get his DL out, it is going to raise some flags. I would advise to sit still until the officer asks you for your information. All that movement can not be fully observed and I have no idea what they are doing.

Having it all ready is a dream and it is much better for me to watch them look for the items than to have them fumbling around in the car while I am approaching.

Thats very good officer safety there.

As for the topic, I like to be informed that you have a CCW at the beginning of our contact. It let's me know the whole story and gets you back on the road faster and keeps me from having a heart attack.

Good rules of thumb is get out your CCW card with the other ID's and tell the officer you are carrying. Cover the bases and there will be no problem. It's your right as a law abiding and productive person to carry properly and I have no issue with that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#25]
My wife gets pulled over often.  She hasn't gotten a ticket in years.  As the LEO approaches the car, she yells, "I got PMS and a GUN!  Wanna see my license?"

I tried that once and went to the pokey.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I, too, would like to have a stolen gun recovered.  But, I really don't understand why some areas seem to always "run the numbers" on firearms.  Maybe its SOP.

If I am a legal CCW permit holder, I inform you of that per state laws, what prompts the above activity?  Why would I tell you if I know I am carrying a stolen gun?

Also, from the LEO's present here:  What would you do with a legal CCW permit holder - car license good, CCW legal, but pistol serial number shows it stolen? ( coulda been bought from a pawn shop, maybe).  

As far as being stopped, I have always informed the LEO per NC laws, been cooperative and polite, even when they seem a bit on edge.   I'm on your side.
I understand about the danger of traffic stops - none of them are routine.  I try to make mine as routine as you will ever have!  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, the stolen gun side depends on the cop.......

Just like any stolen property, we have to prove the person knows or would have known the gun was stolen.

We had a cop(new guy on probation) by a Sig at the swap meet. He paid $200 for it......it was hot. So, he got canned saying he should have known it was stolen due to the price The DA refused to prosecute the case.

We had a guy in my academy buy a gun from a police auction. Well, he came down here with it and wanted it as a back up gun. (county ordinance requires us to register concealable firearms). A records check showed the gun was stolen. The PD apparently ran it wrong or never ran it. Gun was taken........

Some cops believe that mere possession proves the person knew. I disagree (so will the prosecutor). It needs to be investigated. If you did nothing wrong, there shouldn't be a concern, but that doesn't mean you won't have an ignorant or inexperienced officer taking you to jail

As for running the gun, since each handgun in the county must be registered, we verify registration. Have I skipped this?? You bet......I have traded me molesting the gun for no ticket (as if good people need tickets anyways-very rarely!) I wanted a p7m8 and the guy had one.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Based on your two posts, you seem to understand the phrase 'moronic behavior' pretty well.  Jumping out of a car and yelling 'I've got a gun' to a cop that is getting out of his car is dumb.  Period.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Based on your two posts, you seem to understand the phrase 'moronic behavior' pretty well.  Jumping out of a car and yelling 'I've got a gun' to a cop that is getting out of his car is dumb.  Period.

+1

Suicide by cop!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#30]
My car broke down once at dusk on a very well lit off ramp in the middle of town. I called a tow truck and they said they always inform highway patrol if they are doing a pickup that may block traffic. So the cop gets there, sits behind me for a couple minutes. I want to know what's up (and maybe chat while I wait) and so I get out. Cop jumps out and says "Get back in your car!" Then he walks up to my window and says "Just a tip, but that makes cops really nervous." EVEN ON A BREAKDOWN IN THE MIDDLE OF TOWN HE GOT CALLED TO. So if he has no idea what he's walking into to and you jump out and tell him you're armed . . . . my brother (a cop) has a partner who was checking out a parked car and the guy jumps out and says "I have a weapon" Officer climbs out of his vehicle, guy draws down on him, so cop delivers some righteous justice from a Glock. Luckily the Officer came out on top this time, but they never know what they're walking into, so I would say that an A PLUS for getting out of the car and saying that you're packing on an unsuspecting officer stands for ASSHOLE PLUS.
And in Arizona we don't have to say anything to the Officer, but my opinion is if you say nothing and the cop sees it and gets a nasty surprise feeling in his gut, you're gonna have one later after he chews your ass and then gives you a fat ticket.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
An A plus is to get out and inform the officer immediately that you are carrying.A B is that you wait for him to get to the car and the first thing that comes out of your mouth is disclosure. No big deal, but next time, I'd disclose immediately because an anti CCW cop on a bad day might make an example out of you.

I have to totally disagree with you here on this point! That is as you might put it a F-
Never Never get out of the car unless you are told to do so. This is the #1 problem LEO’S face today. If they are not in complete control of the situation then they are going to react in a way that will put them in control. Possibly drawing their weapon on you.

When the LEO approaches the window the first thing you do is state I have a CCW and am carrying my weapon with your hands on the steering wheel in plane site. Then let them decide what to do from there.
I am sorry but I have to give you a F on this one. You would have put yourself at risk.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
There was a lawyer that talked to us during the OK Concealed Carry class.  His personal recommendation during a traffic stop.

2. Kill engine/radio
6. Hands up (not on the steering wheel.  Rationale is cops can't see your hands on the wheel while they are still in their car)7. Inform LEO about you carrying and having the license.

No fast moves.  Always keep both hands in plain sight.  Once the cop is at your window and talking with you, hands on the steering wheel works.  Just don't move 'em until he says so  

Being polite the whole time helps, too.  All of these steps should be followed everytime (except step 7 if you AREN'T carrying), the LEO would certainly appreciate it.

There are different opinions on this rule I like my version.  
Criminals do things differently than non criminals like hold up their hands or place them out of the window. This is a sign that a LEO will recognize as a previously arrested bad guy and form an immediate opinion out of your favor.

Just keep your hands on the wheel until he gets there. The LEO can maneuver around to see what is going on in the car I know this first hand.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

2. Kill engine/radio
6. Hands up (not on the steering wheel.  Rationale is cops can't see your hands on the wheel while they are still in their car)7. Inform LEO about you carrying and having the license.

There are different opinions on this rule I like my version.  
Criminals do things differently than non criminals like hold up their hands or place them out of the window. This is a sign that a LEO will recognize as a previously arrested bad guy and form an immediate opinion out of your favor.

Just keep your hands on the wheel until he gets there. The LEO can maneuver around to see what is going on in the car I know this first hand.

Big +1
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't understand why there are so many questions surrounding this subject.  When an Officer stops you, he has no idea what kind of person you are or what kind of danger you might pose.  Once stopped and the Officer approaches your vehicle, simply roll down your window and hand the Officer your Drivers License and Registration.  Depending on if you are carrying that particular day, hand your concealed carry permit to the Officer along with the rest.  Most of the time the Officer will have enough information at that point that they will not ask any other questions other than those related to the reason they stopped you, like speeding.  DO NOT pull out your weapon and show it to him OR attempt to display it at all.  Whether carrying or not, it's a good idea to always keep your hands where they can see them. An Officer has no idea what you are capable of and wants to feel secure and safe while in your proximity.  Most people who actually have a carry permit are usually pretty safe people and want to make sure their carrying of a weapon is legal.  I have found that this usually makes an Officer feel more secure knowing you have a weapon than him not knowing whether there is a potention threat.  Besides, my guns nicer than his anyway if they choose to question it.  lol  Why do you wait for the Officer to ask you for your identification?   Just hand it to them.  Like an Officer is going to stop you and not need your ID. When I am stopped, and the Officer approaches my truck I hand them my License, Registration, and Carry Permit.  I say something catchy like "Officer, I can't seem to find the street I'm looking for, can you help?" or something of that nature. One time the officer handed me back my crudentials and pointed me toward the direction of the street I had asked about . Then he told me to slow down, and he left.  The other couple times I gave the Officer my ID's and they took them back to the cruiser.  When they came back, either they gave me a "Slow Down" warning (usually) or I got a ticket (once for speeding).  I don't make a big deal about my Beretta and they don't either.

I DO like the response earlier that said to get out of your vehicle when stopped. ?? What an Idiot!

All that said, I hate all law enforcement and the less time they spend with me, the better for THEM.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:50:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I don't understand why there are so many questions surrounding this subject.  When an Officer stops you, he has no idea what kind of person you are or what kind of danger you might pose.  Once stopped and the Officer approaches your vehicle, simply roll down your window and hand the Officer your Drivers License and Registration.  Depending on if you are carrying that particular day, hand your concealed carry permit to the Officer along with the rest.  Most of the time the Officer will have enough information at that point that they will not ask any other questions other than those related to the reason they stopped you, like speeding.  DO NOT pull out your weapon and show it to him OR attempt to display it at all.  Whether carrying or not, it's a good idea to always keep your hands where they can see them. An Officer has no idea what you are capable of and wants to feel secure and safe while in your proximity.  Most people who actually have a carry permit are usually pretty safe people and want to make sure their carrying of a weapon is legal.  I have found that this usually makes an Officer feel more secure knowing you have a weapon than him not knowing whether there is a potention threat.  Besides, my guns nicer than his anyway if they choose to question it.  lol  Why do you wait for the Officer to ask you for your identification?   Just hand it to them.  Like an Officer is going to stop you and not need your ID. When I am stopped, and the Officer approaches my truck I hand them my License, Registration, and Carry Permit.  I say something catchy like "Officer, I can't seem to find the street I'm looking for, can you help?" or something of that nature. One time the officer handed me back my crudentials and pointed me toward the direction of the street I had asked about . Then he told me to slow down, and he left.  The other couple times I gave the Officer my ID's and they took them back to the cruiser.  When they came back, either they gave me a "Slow Down" warning (usually) or I got a ticket (once for speeding).  I don't make a big deal about my Beretta and they don't either.

I DO like the response earlier that said to get out of your vehicle when stopped. ?? What an Idiot!

All that said, I hate all law enforcement and the less time they spend with me, the better for THEM.

this is a real classy dude.  please, tell my your name and addy so that when i'm a LEO i can ignore the burglary in progress call from your house.  Or maybe that time when your wifes purse gets snatched at the mall, i wont even bother with a report.  Someone stole your car? too bad, nah, i wont come down and give you the time of day.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#36]
You did right I think.
Here in VA, when they run my tag or licence it will tell them I have a CHP.
Better to be safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

this is a real classy dude.  please, tell my your name and addy so that when i'm a LEO i can ignore the burglary in progress call from your house.  Or maybe that time when your wifes purse gets snatched at the mall, i wont even bother with a report.  Someone stole your car? too bad, nah, i wont come down and give you the time of day.

I was reading Msz post and felt he was doing great. Until he obviously fumbles around in his car for his info before the LEO gets there. I understand his point you must present the info no matter what but let him watch you get it.

Then he hit the blunder with his last statement. What an ass to say such stupid thing.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was reading Msz post and felt he was doing great. Until he obviously fumbles around in his car for his info before the LEO gets there. I understand his point you must present the info no matter what but let him watch you get it.

Then he hit the blunder with his last statement. What an ass to say such stupid thing.  

i mean really, in all seriousness, LEOs are here for ourprotection, even if they may not be there when we need them, or may take us into custody wrongly temporarily (though we're right in the end), they're just trying to do their job, which is lettered right on their vehicles:

"To Serve and Protect"

Kudos to any LEO reading this, and i hope to be joining your ranks soon!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Justin OK 34

The advice you got was right on the money. When I stop someone and they have a CCW I want to know right away they are carrying. It could get bad if I spot the gun before I'm informed the driver is carrying.
 Just let me know first and I prefer to have the permit handed to me with the drivers license. No problem from me since I'm pro CCW.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

this is a real classy dude.  please, tell my your name and addy so that when i'm a LEO i can ignore the burglary in progress call from your house.  Or maybe that time when your wifes purse gets snatched at the mall, i wont even bother with a report.  Someone stole your car? too bad, nah, i wont come down and give you the time of day.hr

I have come into contact with many officers from different areas through the course of my life.  Where I currently live the "law"  as they refer to down south, are very very serious and yet  friendly.  Back when I lived in the Washington DC Metro area, the police officers are issued some of the best law enforcement equipment on the planet.  They take these great hi-tech tools for granted, and their heads swell up.  They are extremely rude as well. Almost all of them act like assholes with a badge. What makes you think that just maybe I haven't had a few bad confrontations with a few officers.  I'm a hard working tax paying citizen and I expect the police to respond as they are directed by the dispatcher to any facility in distress despite any personal feelings they might have towards me. Hopefully they are not that ignorant and the decision to respond to a "call" won't be at the bottom level, meaning the decision of a cop while sitting in his car.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:39:17 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have come into contact with many officers from different areas through the course of my life.  Where I currently live the "law"  as they refer to down south, are very very serious and yet  friendly.  Back when I lived in the Washington DC Metro area, the police officers are issued some of the best law enforcement equipment on the planet.  They take these great hi-tech tools for granted, and their heads swell up.  They are extremely rude as well. Almost all of them act like assholes with a badge. What makes you think that just maybe I haven't had a few bad confrontations with a few officers.  I'm a hard working tax paying citizen and I expect the police to respond as they are directed by the dispatcher to any facility in distress despite any personal feelings they might have towards me. Hopefully they are not that ignorant and the decision to respond to a "call" won't be at the bottom level, meaning the decision of a cop while sitting in his car.  

Ok, most P.O.s will give back exactly what you give them, respect given is respect earned. secondly, no, a PO is NOT going to respond to your call for "someone stole my lawnmower yesterday" with lights and sirens, as if theres a bank robbery in progress. officers respond to calls according to the nature of the call, and they usually have several things going on.  and if you're the kind of person who makes himself known to a police force as uncooperative, yeah, they're going to have personal feelings towards you because they're HUMAN BEINGS.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#42]
In Washington all police know you have a CHP when the run your plate. Granted there are senerios where you might be in a friends car or a rental but for the most part they know you are able to carry.

That's why a officer friend of mine says it's a good idea to rest your hands on the steering wheel with thumbs locked and fingers strait up. Having the dome light on isn't a bad idea if it's dark out so they can see in the cab while walking up to the car.  When the officer approaches his car they will ask you if you are carrying. Where it's located and then decide how to handle the situation from there.

I would inform the officer as soon as I could if not approached about it first. All officers like people who are open with them and for your safety as well as them it's a good idea to get it out of the way. THe last thing a officer needs to learn is your carrying and keeping it from them. I"m sure they would bring the book out on you if possible!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#43]
I blue-lighted a car about 6 years ago for a broken tail light.  Was just going to give him a warning and tell him to take care of it.  He starts slowing down and sticks his left arm out the window, with his left hand grasping a chrome semi-automatic handgun.

Needless to say, I start calling for back-up units.  The gun was never pointed in my direction, and the car finally stops.  After about 2 minutes, I have 2 more units out with me.  The driver still has his left arm outstretched and holding the gun.  

With the PA, I issue commands for him to get out of the car, with the gun pointed away from us and his back toward us.  Then I tell him to get down on his knees and then slide the pistol away from him.  After that, he's ordered to interlock his fingers behind his head as my back-up units approach him.

After he's cuffed, he tells us that he just wanted to let us know that he had a gun in the car and had a concealed carry permit.    He had no warrants and was not involved in any crime that happened in the immediate vicinity.  After telling him the proper way of informing the officer of a CCW (tell the officer after he's approached the car, let him know where the weapon is, and not to make any sudden movements), I sent him on his way with a warning.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I blue-lighted a car about 6 years ago for a broken tail light.  Was just going to give him a warning and tell him to take care of it.  He starts slowing down and sticks his left arm out the window, with his left hand grasping a chrome semi-automatic handgun.

Needless to say, I start calling for back-up units.  The gun was never pointed in my direction, and the car finally stops.  After about 2 minutes, I have 2 more units out with me.  The driver still has his left arm outstretched and holding the gun.  

With the PA, I issue commands for him to get out of the car, with the gun pointed away from us and his back toward us.  Then I tell him to get down on his knees and then slide the pistol away from him.  After that, he's ordered to interlock his fingers behind his head as my back-up units approach him.

After he's cuffed, he tells us that he just wanted to let us know that he had a gun in the car and had a concealed carry permit.    He had no warrants and was not involved in any crime that happened in the immediate vicinity.  After telling him the proper way of informing the officer of a CCW (tell the officer after he's approached the car, let him know where the weapon is, and not to make any sudden movements), I sent him on his way with a warning.

At least he didn't fire it in the air to let you know it was loaded.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Bikecop,

Dude you ordered an armed man out of a car instead of having him drop the gun?? That doesn't sound like the best choice.

If you are dumb enough to stick your gun out the window, you better be ready to drop it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top