Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/26/2006 4:17:49 PM EDT
Does anybody carry while they jog and what's the best method? An ankle holster sounds very uncomfortable while running, and I would think a fanny pack would bounce a lot. Anybody have any secrets they'd like to share? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:57:56 PM EDT
I knew someone who held a little 25 auto in their hand when they went jogging. Had it wrapped in a handkerchief.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:51:58 PM EDT
I use an EAGLE fanny pack for jogging, I just overcompensate for the bounce by really tightening the waist strap. In cooler months, I carry my 442 in a Desantis ankle rig under my nylon windsuit pants, and add a 1lb ankle weight to my right ankle to "balance out", looks like I'm wearing weights on both ankles. Only problem so far with ankle carry is splashing water all over my 442 when it's wet and rainy!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:04:18 PM EDT
My wife and I walk regularly. I normally walk in shorts with a belt and I carry my full-size Kimber OWB with a t-shirt over it. Since I am not running it doesn't bounce. Although even at a light jog it is still very comfortable.

Brian
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:30:46 PM EDT
Fanny pack.....
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:13:03 PM EDT
I bought a bellyband for jogging and it works great.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:38:11 AM EDT
Might want to look at the Safepacker from The Wilderness here

In their accessories,they offer the Runners pack attachment. Holds the holster plus water bottles....

T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:27:56 AM EDT
I have been thinking about this issue as well. I am considering a chest holster to wear under a jacket when jogging.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:47:53 AM EDT
I just run with my G22 in a belt holster. I wear tan bdu's and running shoes. If it's day time, I pull my shirt or sweatshirt over the gun to conceal it. At night I open carry it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:14:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Uncle-Sherwin:
Does anybody carry while they jog and what's the best method? An ankle holster sounds very uncomfortable while running, and I would think a fanny pack would bounce a lot. Anybody have any secrets they'd like to share? Thanks.

This comes up pretty often. I can't imagine running with any gun worth carrying. For you guys that "run" with belt holsters what kind of distance/splits are we talking? When I was running seriously I didn't even take my keys with me. On a trail run I might have staged a water bottle along the way and carried a SAK in my hand.

I would suggest carrying a good can of fox labs spray in your hand and rely on your blinding speed to keep you out of trouble.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:44:59 AM EDT
The trick is not to run in elastic banded pants with no belt loops. 5:11 pants/shorts or SigTac pants/shorts would be great for running, and still be able to carry a decent sized weapon comfortably. Go with Kydex though, due to the extra sweat, and kydex generally has tighter retention options.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:53:57 AM EDT
I'll tell you what not to do.
Don't put the gun in a ziplock and tuck it under your clothes. I used to carry a J-frame S&W Titanium and one day I noticed some serious corrosion. Turns out I had been using the same Ziplock bag and it had developed a hole/leak and some of the sweat was seeping inside. It corroded the gun like a mofo. If you're going to carry while sweating I recommend you have it coated with a serious anti-corrosion coating.

I prefer Black Ice Teflon, but I haven't had that done to my J-frame just yet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:01:13 PM EDT
S&W Model 642 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster, loaded with Speer Gold Dot 135gr. +P.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:14:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 12:15:33 PM EDT by _DR]
IWB holster, usually the P64 or XD9 because they are lighter.
Run about 2 miles with the dogs about 3-4 times weekly.

Sweat is not a problem if I keep them coated with a light coat of CLP and let the holster dry out in between.

Did have to replace the grip screws on my P239 with Hogue stainless ones as the steel ones keep rusting with the sweat.

But I hate fanny packs with a passion.
Top Top