Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Reverse the question, would you want someone you don't know, but your wife knows their spouse, to pack without you knowing in your own home?

ETA: Fix grammer.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#2]
If someone invites me into their home, I always tell them hey I carrya  gun , is it ok to have it on me at your home?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Reverse the question, would you want someone you don't know, but your wife knows their spouse, to pack without you knowing in your own home?

That's fine with me, except for the spouse part, are you afraid of people with guns?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I would ask the guest for two reasons. All carry rights can be voided by the guest. Also if a shooting takes place, your lawyer will have a bit more ammo for your defense.

Common courtesy by lawful gun owners is something I think we all should extend. The press will never admit any gunowner was courteous, but you can bet it would be front page if:

DERANGED GUN OWNER HIDES GUN TO THE HORROR OF THE HOST, CAUSING A FULL NERVOUS BREAKDOWN TO ALL IN ATTENDANCE!!!!!

I'll bet you 1800DIALASCUMBAGLAWYER would be all over that one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Add another state to the list.

In alaksa you must ask the person ho owns the residence prior to entering with a concealed handgun.

here is the linkalaska dps (see item c.)
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Everyone has heard "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it".

Sure.  It is a rather cute saying, but of rather limited relevance in and of itself and has to be balanced against other factors.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Common courtesy by lawful gun owners is something I think we all should extend.

Exactly.  Why that concept seems to make so many gun owners mad is unsettling.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I wouldn't have a problem with it at all as long as they don't plan on using it on me, in which case I am prepared to respond .  If I have already discovered that someone is carrying a firearm in my home and they aren't pointing it at me, then if they were going to do something wrong with it the time for that would have already passed.  If that makes any sense.  

Also, what good would it do for me to get mad at someone who carries a firearm on their person for self-defense because they entered my home upon invitation, but with a firearm without notifying me that they were armed?   That's the part I don't get about anyone oppossed to CCW anywhere.  If someone wants to do something bad with a gun do you think they give a shit whether or not they are "allowed" to have that gun tucked in their waiste band as they walk in?  Hell no.  If I am so damn chicken-shit that I would be mad at someone who is carrying a firearm discretely to protect themselves for not informing me that they were armed before entering my home upon invitation, because I feel threatened by that, then what the hell is my plan for the guy that enters my home with a gun planning to actually use it?  I can see it now: "Mr. Home invader, I can't believe you had the nerve to bring that evil gun into my home, get it out of my house immediately!  Don't you know that you are more likely to hurt yourself with that thing then me?"  

What I don't get is we have all of these people who think we can't trust the common citizen with a firearm, yet everyday they drive down the interstate and cross the crosswalk at main street surrounded by 100's of people that are in operation of a deadly weapon, and they are giving those people the opportunity to kill them both purposefully or by accident.  These same people are probably the ones that fucking step out into the street without paying attention or even looking first because "they have right of way as a pedestrian", and the same ones who drive down the street completely fucking oblivious to their surroundings.  Everyday they are trusting their lives to the competence and good-will of other motorists.  Yet people who are willing to obey the law can't be trusted with a gun.

Point is, it's not going to do me any good to tell people that they can't go about armed, because the only ones who are going to give a fuck what I tell them are most definitely NOT the ones that pose a threat to me.  Since most people are good, more people with guns = more good people with guns.  The bad guys already have them.  Why people want to shove their heads in the sand and hang their ass out in the breeze for the raping is beyond me.    

So no, I have no problem with anyone carrying a firearm into my home without asking permission first, so long as they have been invited in and are carrying their firearm in a safe manner and keep it holstered.  At the same time, I realize that some people might not be as enlightened as I am, and it is their home and property after-all.  Hence the dillema.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe it's just me being confused again, but using the logic that you shouldn't go somewhere if you "fear" not having a gun with you, makes me think I should not go out at all. Soooo what's the point of even having a ccw if you don't think you should go somewhere that you think you need a weapon? I would guess you have never been somewhere that something happened that you did not have your gun with you when you wished you had. I also carry homeowners insurance and auto insurance just in case.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Most freinds houses I go to, especially the ones where I would be likely to stay overnight expect me to be carrying, just like I do when they are around. I kind of like that warm fuzzy feeling I get from being around armed freinds.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This is a situation where "don't ask, don't tell" would apply.  What they don't know will not possibly upset them.  

There you go...

It is "concealed" carry after all.

Act politely and only "draw down" when absolutely necessary

GM
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:37:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Maybe it's just me being confused again, but using the logic that you shouldn't go somewhere if you "fear" not having a gun with you, makes me think I should not go out at all.

Not really.  All that it means is that you should not consider the gun to be some sort of magic talisman that makes you safer.  The gun MIGHT give you a better chance of survival, but it does not change the safety consideration at all.  Consider it like this:  If you knew you were going to get shot at if you went someplace without a gun, would you go?  Now, if you knew you were going to get shot at if you went to that place if you had a gun, would you still go?  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#13]
NO & YES / so it looks like I'm taking my gun. & if you didn't know you would be shot at, does the saying " what you don't know won't hurt you" still apply?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:04:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't ask don't tell!

Carry your weapon and be responsible for it at all times. If you are sleeping over someone's house you must be ultra careful where you place your Roscoe when you shave, shower, get changed and so on. If there were children living in the house I would be inclined to make the weapon safe by unloading if it must leave your immediate possesion or stash it in your vehicle's locked glove compartment.

Let your common sense guide you.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top