User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:27:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: garr] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kymarkh:
147 grain HST is my carry load so I hope so.
View Quote

My Dad (RIP) used to say heavy 9mm rounds were trying to masquerade as 45ACP.
I like the 147's myself though, they seem to perform well.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 9:53:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CherokeeGunslinger] [#2]
Shot placement is king and any good defensive load will give you the ability to take down an attacking pitbull. If I was attacked by a pitbull, I'd feel pretty confident in having 18 rounds of 124gr HST on tap, that's what I carry.

The 9mm in your waistband beats the .45 ACP you left at home. It's ultimately up to you. You know what's best for you.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 2:26:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Czechers] [#3]
Won't matter one bit when you see how even skilled shooters fail to hit a fast moving approaching target under stress. Been at a few PB shootings in LE and the only certain stopper was 12 ga 00 (already mentioned as not an option by Op). I can't even recall where someone landed a headshot with a handgun, usually body/neck with intent of a headshot. Good news is the concussion usually convinces an angry PB to break off the attack. I've seen them still mobile with multiple hits and even survive being solidly run over. Carry what you want to carry and practice.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Meh, dumped .45 years ago.  The caliber just did not perform well on hogs.  (My preferred ammo test medium)
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 3:02:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8w7] [#5]
Originally Posted By garr:

My Dad (RIP) used to say heavy 9mm rounds were trying to masquerade as 45ACP.
I like the 147's myself though, they seem to perform well.
View Quote

They all perform the same with hollow points. A 124 or a 147 or even a 230 gr will expand and penetrate into the 12 to 18 inch window as designed.

It’s when hard cast, non expanding bullets designed for maximum penetration for animals with more mass in front of vital organs than a human has that bullet weight matters. More momentum equals more penetration.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 1:37:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: REGULARGUY556] [#6]
My pitt prefers a lever action 30-30.  He has big paws lol  On a serious note shot placement ultimately will matter more than caliber. Edited to add content.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By us-kiwi:

Just remember that 1 hit works better than 10 misses.

So figure out which one you miss with the most, and leave that gun at home.

IMHO YMMV

View Quote

One Misses Missus is enough for me.  

Originally Posted By hellishhorses:
It's a dog. Not a grizzly, elephant or lion.

Whatever round you would use on a GSD, Maligator, Goldendoodle or Airdale will be sufficient — or whatever your neighborhood fantasy killing thirst may be.
View Quote

No doubt.  If that’s the case volunteer at a kill shelter or planned parenthood and get that blood lust on.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I think so.

I do know a .40 S&W 180 gr SXT out of a Glock 22 will DRT one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By kymarkh:
147 grain HST is my carry load so I hope so.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 1:34:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I didn't want to post any of this as it has no bearing on the question and I honestly hate talking about it, but for the ignorant posters who assume I have some desire to shoot dogs here is the context.

The short version I was attacked on my front porch then later my dog I have had since I was 14 was pulled apart while on his leash, in my fenced in backyard, at my feet.

Since posting this topic the county has deemed the animals dangerous and has taken all but 2 of the dogs.

Still carrying my Glock 19 with 147gr HST.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 6:32:24 AM EDT
[#11]
That's awful, I'm sorry you had to go through that. The rational people here assumed you had a legitimate reason for asking. Before I got my carry permit I was stood down in my own yard by a neighbor's dog, and I vowed that would never happen again. It won't.

We all have a right to protect ourselves. Best wishes to you.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Forlorn-Hope:
Moving in a few months but until then, is 9mm good enough for pitbulls or should I switch to 45acp?

9mm I carry a g19 with 147gr hst
45 acp I have a ton of 230gr speer gold dots but I would probably buy a glock in 45acp if I switch to it for carry.

Before anyone says 12ga or 556 etc, I agree 100% but they are not applicable to my current situation. As for 10mm I do not own one.
View Quote

Is this a joke?

You apparently CCW a Glock 19 9mm and have confidence in a 147gr HST against a 300 lb determined man,  yet you are so unsure of it stopping a freaking 60 pound DOG (and I dont care the breed) that you question your caliber choice.

Very interesting question!

Can you explain that concern?

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#13]
No Country for Old Men (2007) Here comes the Pit Bull

What would Llewellyn use?
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Larrys1911:

Is this a joke?

You apparently CCW a Glock 19 9mm and have confidence in a 147gr HST against a 300 lb determined man,  yet you are so unsure of it stopping a freaking 60 pound DOG (and I dont care the breed) that you question your caliber choice.

Very interesting question!

Can you explain that concern?

View Quote

Shooting human analogs or actual humans with HST is an extremely well studied and documented occurrence, I have encountered no such efforts in regards to aggressive dogs and I thankfully have no first hand experience.

Many of us also have a working understanding of human anatomy and have spent a significant number of hours emulating damage to that specific structure and its vital organs. I have no such knowledge, practice, or experience when it pertains to the anatomy of Pitbull's. I understand that if I destroy the brain, lungs, heart, etc. the job is probably done, but I have no idea what a Pitbull's ribcage is like or the thickness of its shoulders, sternum, skull, etc. I could potentially make an educated guess but I do not wish to entertain any presumptions I may form from my own ignorance of an animals anatomy, especially when making the original post required minimal effort and any potential failure could cost me significantly more.

In short assumptions cost me one dog already and individuals on this site have the experience I lack, their experience becomes my assurance that I am not on the path to failure.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By triburst1:

That raises a question: Why have all the guys who kill people for a living, and can pick any pistol they choose, been switching to 9mm for the past decade? They want to be less efficient at their jobs?
View Quote

.22lr is good enough for Mossad wet work...
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TxAthlete42:
A pitt's paws are pretty small. I would get him a small frame 9, otherwise he'll keep dropping it from recoil.
View Quote

Dude!
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#17]
OP,

You’ve been a member here way long enough to have already known the answer to that question, so, if you asked that question, there is way more complicating shooting that pooch  than meets the eye.

So, why are you preparing to shoot a pooch? I take it that it’s not your pooch you’re about to shoot?

You’re moving in a few months, so, you’re planning to shoot a pooch? WTF?

This isn’t passing the sniff test, so, you’ve got to provide way more information, or are you just applying for the FBI or ATF?
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 12:55:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Larrys1911] [#18]
I guess you are correct. we all rely on our life experiences, so I digress to hunting.
I dont think there is anything in the southern part of NA and maybe even NA as a whole under 200 - 250 lbs that I would feel Ill equipt to defend my life against with a properly loaded 9mm. (possible hog exception and black bear, Maybe)  There are probably things I would "ralther" have but a charging dog is going to be more of CAN you hit it than what you hit it with.

15yrs of shooting IDPA, USPSA as Master class in each. Ive had to occasions with 2 seperate dogs where I thought I would have to shoot. Both times I was more concerned about being able to hit the dog than I was what I was shooting it with. If you do your part the bullet/s will too.  

Just shoot until the threat is stopped.

Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 11C1P:

Or Labs, Yorkie's, Collies, Golden Retrievers, women holding babies, wait that last one was 308, nevermind.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 11C1P:
Originally Posted By Kokodude:
Cops and ATF agents don't seem to have any problems killing Pitbulls with 9mm.

Or Labs, Yorkie's, Collies, Golden Retrievers, women holding babies, wait that last one was 308, nevermind.

My collie was oversized at 150 pounds. He might have needed something with a little more power.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I read a news story a while back that said cops put 5 or 6 rounds into the body of a Pit and it managed to run away and hide in a backyard until is bled out.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By dogfacepappy:
OP,

You've been a member here way long enough to have already known the answer to that question, so, if you asked that question, there is way more complicating shooting that pooch  than meets the eye.

So, why are you preparing to shoot a pooch? I take it that it's not your pooch you're about to shoot?

You're moving in a few months, so, you're planning to shoot a pooch? WTF?

This isn't passing the sniff test, so, you've got to provide way more information, or are you just applying for the FBI or ATF?
View Quote
I guess you missed the post where the OP covered all this. Sometimes it's good to read the whole thread.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:08:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dogfacepappy] [#22]
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
I guess you missed the post where the OP covered all this. Sometimes it's good to read the whole thread.
View Quote

It’s rather annoying when I ask one person a question, and someone else responds and yet snarky and of no informational value.  

I try to be patient with three kinds of responses, yet there are those moments where one makes my teeth itch, this is one of those.

Edited; word salad tastes better the first time.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#23]

It's rather annoying when I ask one person a question, and someone else responds and yet snarky and of no informational value.  

I try to be patient with three kinds of responses, yet there are those moments where one makes my teeth itch, this is one of those.

View Quote
Sometimes the truth hurts. You'll be alright. Just start reading entire threads.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#24]

It’s rather annoying when I ask one person a question, and someone else responds and yet snarky and of no informational value.  

View Quote

UH.

actually he told you that question had been answered.

but yea you are pretty snarky.

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#25]
OP this was my encounter with a dog

In a previous encounter with him and his friend had injured my right hand.

It was the two of us and did a quick draw with my left hand and fired and missed, with a .357 158gr HP.

He took off running, switched hands and was able to connect and he fell over dead. As I'm walking to check him out he jumps up and charges at me. I'm stunned and unable to understand how he was alive.

Keep in mine this is all happening very quick.

He would have had me but starts running in circles trying to bite his stomach where it had been shot. This allows time for a shot to the chest and he drops to the ground again.

Then jumps up again to attack and shot him in the chest and falls down again. At this point is only a few feet from me.

Then starts to get up to attack he isn't fleeing but determined to fight. Put one in his head and he falls down then his head moves and put another one in it.

Pretty sure he was dead after the first one to his head but wasn't taking any chances.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 4:34:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Tommy2399:

It was the two of us and did a quick draw with my left hand and fired and missed, with a .357 158gr HP.

He took off running, switched hands and was able to connect and he fell over dead. As I'm walking to check him out he jumps up and charges at me. I'm stunned and unable to understand how he was alive.

He would have had me but starts running in circles trying to bite his stomach where it had been shot. This allows time for a shot to the chest and he drops to the ground again.

Then jumps up again to attack and shot him in the chest and falls down again. At this point is only a few feet from me.

Then starts to get up to attack he isn't fleeing but determined to fight. Put one in his head and he falls down then his head moves and put another one in it.

Pretty sure he was dead after the first one to his head but wasn't taking any chances.

View Quote

Similar to an event I'd seen with a Shepard, they don't quit and shit happens FAST
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:02:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Tommy2399:

View Quote

Animals can be tough. I've seen hogs and deer take multiple 270 and 30-06 hits to vitals followed by 9mm 124gr +P GDHP to the heart and head, and still not die. I've also seen a large WTD with his guts completely hanging out from a quartering lung shot from a rifle survive for 18 hours while we tracked him almost a mile away from where he was shot with a blood trail that looked like a wheelbarrow full of blood dumped on the ground. He took 4 9mm 124gr +P GDHP to the heart and still lived for another 15-20mins. I recovered all four rounds fully expanded in the hide on the other side of his ribs.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#28]
I can tell you from experience that 147 HST is effective against a pit from a Sig P239.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Ive killed multiple deers with both. 45 is much better.
View Quote

I use to own / live on an organic farm.  Our chicken operation was very expensive to run so losing birds to predators was dealt with swiftly.  As such, I live trapped and euthanized (shot) a number of animals with the gun I had to hand in the moment.  I had the less than awesome experience of having to shoot live trapped nuisance possums with 9mm, 40SW and 45ACP.  The 9mm is as not a quick stopper (they wouldn’t die quickly or humanely so I would have to shoot them multiple times).  45ACP stopped them (they would just stop moving). 40SW seemed to have hit them with the authority of Thor’s hammer (instant and rather dramatic death).
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#30]
12 guage double ought buck
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
Get a .88 Mag.
It shoots through schools.
View Quote

I got that reference.  Once.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:32:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#32]
Other animals were shot but live trapped possums were the only species that all three cartridges were used upon.

I definitely don’t worship at the Temple of 40 Caliber, but I am a believer in its effectiveness.  I used it to very good effect on a number of animals.  

Regarding APBT defense … I’d want a 10mm.  25 years ago I was an APBT owner.  They’re built stout.

ETA: Despite seeing top shelf 9mm (124 +P Gold Dot and 124 HydraShok) perform rather poorly I carry a 9mm daily with those loads. However, if I knew I might have to deal with a APBT on a given day I would be carrying my USP45 Expert (5”) or USP45 Elite (6” … lots of velocity) loaded with 13 rounds of 255gr hard cast 45 Super since I no longer own a 10mm.  I’d want to bust thru all of that muscle and bone to stop the attack quickly.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:52:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#34]
Chronos about 1140 from the 6” Elite.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I've only put down one dog over the years. I used a 180 grain JHP 40 cal with one shot to the chest. I don't like killing domestic dogs, but my stepsons old female pit mix died right after he showed up. I thought it was a choke hold to the neck. My stepson said she was just old. BS. He started damaging ductwork and wiring under the mobile home after the old dog died. If he had stayed in the doghouse and let everything alone, I'd had no problem with him being around although he was an aggressive MF.

Animal control is a waste in that county. They take forever to come out and do anything.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#36]
I loathe the idea of shooting dogs, but my ne'er do well neighbors are getting quite the dog pack roaming their compound, and those will occasionally briefly visit my property. Pits or pit mixes are in the group I have observed.

I have gone from carrying a j frame .38 special in my pocket to a .40 HK Compact when doing yard work. I hope I don't have to use it, but it makes me feel a lot better than the 5 shot .38.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#37]
I used a .357 sig when a killer pit charged my golden the 124 grain corbon entered his chest and left near his anus. he changed directions and died on his way home with blood spurting out of both ends
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Why would you want to shoot Pitbull?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#39]
My brother dumped 9 rounds into a pitbull to stop it. The video was on youtube until a couple years ago.

It was 45. Cops came out, justified and all. And with a 100$ Glock 21 he got from a cop

I carry a 9mm for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 10:42:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#40]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Ive killed multiple deers with both. 45 is much better.
View Quote

+1

“9mm is just as good,…because technology “ is bullshit to make 5’2” FBI barbie feel better

when a 230gr JHP exits a big deers rib cage, it looks like you could push a golf ball through it

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
Why would you want to shoot Pitbull?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2261/140619211341-pitbull-rapper-and-artist-1-2826298.JPG
View Quote

okay, I laughed
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#42]
45 ACP fanbois are pretty amusing. Their insecurity makes me chuckle.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:24:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SDGlock23] [#43]
Caliber wars are fun, maybe they're old and worn out but they're fun...  It's pretty simple really, the 9mm is fine but bigger bullets do work better.  There are tradeoffs, either you prefer the advantage of better downrange ballistics or you prefer the advantage of something more user friendly.  The 9mm won't win a ballistic argument vs. .40 or .45, etc.  but likewise, the .40 or .45 (etc.) aren't as "user friendly" as the 9mm is.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 3:49:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By sparkyfender2:
I loathe the idea of shooting dogs, but my ne'er do well neighbors are getting quite the dog pack roaming their compound, and those will occasionally briefly visit my property. Pits or pit mixes are in the group I have observed.

I have gone from carrying a j frame .38 special in my pocket to a .40 HK Compact when doing yard work. I hope I don't have to use it, but it makes me feel a lot better than the 5 shot .38.

Good luck.

View Quote

I'm the same, don't want to hurt a dog but the only time I've ever had to shoot a dog was when some pit mix showed up in our neighborhood. The final straw was when it managed to get inside our fenced in backyard and ran my wife into the house. I had my J Frame .357 and it bled out from two body hits from that.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top