Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Always have a light and have for the past 15 or so years.

Link Posted: 5/2/2023 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I carry a hand held. Have considered adding a TLR7A to my Glock 19 though. For those carrying a Glock 19 and TLR7 does it increase the profile much when carried OWB? I carry mine in a Raven Perrun would probably get the same for the TLR7A.
View Quote

I’ll answer my own question.

TLR7A is perfect for a Glock 19 or similar. Does not add any length or width. Easy to activate with support thumb. Surprised at how bright 500 lumens is.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I ALWAYS carry a flashlight, I use it many times a day at work and home. I use it more than my pocket knife for looking into dark areas on things I’m working on, looking into dark areas at home, bringing something outside in the dark, walking around outside, etc.

Having said that I have a TLR-7 on my 365XL (carry) and M&P2.0 (nightstand). It weighs as much as a few quarters and seems to take up no extra space in my IWB carry (same width as the slide it sits under). I walk a lot at night and really like having the light.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Question for those that do not have a light on their EDC guns:

Have you trained to get that flashlight out & activated as FAST as your firearm?

For example:
You are in a very dark area and hear someone running towards you & shouting loudly.  You have enough light to see the outline of a large person coming towards you, but can see if he is armed or any expressions on his face.  He is holding both of his hands together in front of him and MAY be carrying or holding something.  He's less than half a city block away from you (30 feet) and is moving fast.

Have those that don't have a light on their EDC weapon trained enough to be able to get their flashlight out, along with their firearm, to be able to illuminate such a situation?

I seem to remember something similar happening when a homeless person charged at a couple walking down a street.

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Nevermind. Didn't realize I had already replied to this thread over a year ago.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Question for those that do not have a light on their EDC guns:

Have you trained to get that flashlight out & activated as FAST as your firearm?

For example:
You are in a very dark area and hear someone running towards you & shouting loudly.  You have enough light to see the outline of a large person coming towards you, but can see if he is armed or any expressions on his face.  He is holding both of his hands together in front of him and MAY be carrying or holding something.  He's less than half a city block away from you (30 feet) and is moving fast.

Have those that don't have a light on their EDC weapon trained enough to be able to get their flashlight out, along with their firearm, to be able to illuminate such a situation?

I seem to remember something similar happening when a homeless person charged at a couple walking down a street.

View Quote

Even with a wml on my EDC I would use the flashlight in my pocket first.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 1:04:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm rarely outside at night except when I'm going to my van to go to work.  In that case and the rare time I'm out at night, I'd say 80% of my walking time has my light already in hand.  

I've got so many skunks in my neighborhood, I'm always looking for them at 11pm while I'm outside
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 1:10:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies.  But at home I can see getting in a gun fight in the dark, on the streets is that the same?  I definitely get the idea of "why not" but I don't see drawing a firearm with a WML to do initial ID if I'm walking on South Grand.  In STL that would probably open myself up to return fire.

I need to look at some smaller lights though but I love this 1500 lumen light.
View Quote

Well, we walk the same streets.  That is for sure.  I live next to Tower Grove park.  I carry a hand held that I have used to identify folks lurking in the park after dark when I am walking the dog.  I make it about the dog but sweep the area.  Cannot do that with WML.  I am having a hard time figuring out what circumstances having a wml would help.  Not being PoPo, I don't hunt for targets.  I think I am going to stick with HH; since I do not need two hands to draw anyway.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 1:17:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I’d argue if you’re already out of the holster, return fire is already a concern. And with contrasting urban light conditions, you may be able to see or if a threat as that shadowy figure in the dark who’s trying to kill me. When you try to get a sight picture on said shadowy figure in the dark it can be rather difficult, thus the utility of the light on your gun.

My thought process is I’ve been there done that, not doing it again. The bad guy always gets a vote and 99% of the time the bad guy has the initiative, so why not give yourself any advantage you can?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies.  But at home I can see getting in a gun fight in the dark, on the streets is that the same?  I definitely get the idea of "why not" but I don't see drawing a firearm with a WML to do initial ID if I'm walking on South Grand.  In STL that would probably open myself up to return fire.

I need to look at some smaller lights though but I love this 1500 lumen light.

I’d argue if you’re already out of the holster, return fire is already a concern. And with contrasting urban light conditions, you may be able to see or if a threat as that shadowy figure in the dark who’s trying to kill me. When you try to get a sight picture on said shadowy figure in the dark it can be rather difficult, thus the utility of the light on your gun.

My thought process is I’ve been there done that, not doing it again. The bad guy always gets a vote and 99% of the time the bad guy has the initiative, so why not give yourself any advantage you can?

Well, I am not going to be aiming at a swadowy figure in the dark.  I live in an area where I have had to light up several sketchy low light situations.  Exactly none would be appropriate to have used a WML.  Also, if you light someone up with a handheld and see that you may need to draw, you have frozen your opponent and provided cover for a surreptitious draw.  If their hands are empty, you can stage and see what they do.  If their hands are full, the light will be of help freezing them momentarily while you balance the initiative.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 2:35:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a light on every gun I have with 3 exceptions: G26, REPR, and M1A scout.  Better have it and not need it rather the other way around.  I also have lots of experience in training and real world.  Why would you not have it if you can?  However I don’t tell people what they should do.  It’s your life.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 11:28:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer my opponent to have a weapon mounted light.  They make wonderful aiming points as the head is often times right behind it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#12]
No as far as my edc.
My G19 that I keep in my bed has one.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I prefer my opponent to have a weapon mounted light.  They make wonderful aiming points as the head is often times right behind it.
View Quote

How do you know its not a cop with a handheld?
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well if he doens't identify himself...  And even if you shoot an handheld light you will hit something.  I should imagine getting shot in the hand might just be disconcerting enough to at least slow your opponent.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#15]
The best solution is to employ common sense. If it’s dark or sketchy I can have my HL-X in my hand and no one cares. If I need to identify something I use that, if it’s a threat I drop the handheld. If it’s not a threat “Woops, you startled me. Sorry about that!” covers it.

It’s not hard.
Don’t use a WML for identification.
That’s retarded.

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good luck with that. In force on force training I’ve had a powerful WML in your eyeballs turns the whole world white. It sucks.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Well if he doens't identify himself...  And even if you shoot an handheld light you will hit something.  I should imagine getting shot in the hand might just be disconcerting enough to at least slow your opponent.

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#16]
For those that carry a handheld and have a WML, what do you do when you transition from the handheld to the weapon light?

Do you drop the handheld?  Do you pocket it?

I have a WML on my home defense pistol, but not on my EDC's.  I do always carry a 1L-1AA in my left front pocket.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

When someone says something this fucking stupid they should be forced to participate in low/no light force on force sim round training.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:13:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a Surefire light mounted on my 1911 on my nightstand. I honestly do not go out enough after dark to ever be compelled to add any weight to my EDC.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Indoors is dark when the lights are out.
View Quote

True there...
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I have probably posted in this thread already, but here goes again ...

Most SD shootings occur in low light. Obtaining 100% positive ID of your target and any innocent bystanders are non-negotiable factors in the "shoot / don't shoot" decision process.  Would you want someone taking a defensive shot in a theater with your wife or daughter in the over penetration or missed target cone/zone?

It is irresponsible to carry a defensive handgun without a light.  My preference is to have the light mounted ON the gun because most of us don't have the muscle memory to deploy a handheld and handgun while some murderer is trying to kill you.  Every gun I carry has a light on it, and I also carry a hand held flashlight clipped in my front pocket.  I use the pocket light quite often for "normal life" stuff.

I know this sounds "preachy" but the fact we have to ask questions like ... "should I have a way to ID my target" (this is what the OP's question translates into) is rather concerning for this group of people.  I would think those who spend time on a site like ARFCOM would be more adept at discerning how best to defend life AND future rights.

There are times when the interwebs remind me that I'm better off staying home whenever possible.  This lifestyle will also decrease the likelihood of having to use my EDC firearm.  I never want  to deal with that situation.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Not lately.

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I do not.  Before I retired, departmental policy forbade weapon lights.  "Do not point a weapon at anything you are not willing to destroy."  It works for me.
We trained with a flashlight in the support hand and held out as far as possible.  Light up the target, identify, fire.  Every fourth quarter qualification was a night shoot and I'm not changing now.  Night sights are awesome with the light pollution here.  I don't live in the sticks
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#26]
I usually don't. I find it makes IWB a little bit more annoying and during the southern summer I'm seldom out after dark anyway. Now that it's getting towards fall and actually gets dark before bedtime I'll likely switch back to carrying one with a light.

either way when I travel I have a small WML that I slap on at night (as my carry gun is pulling HD duty at that point) and then pop it off in the morning.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thinking of getting some kydex holsters for my carry guns that are setup for lights, of course this means they are largely model specific for the type of light I'm carrying.  But I'm thinking, do I need to have a light on my EDC gun?  Its not like my house where I would need that if I'm investigating something on my property and don't want to shoot a family member or whatnot.  If its so dark I'm having trouble seeing and I'm out on the street I'm probably going to use that to retreat from the situation.  It will make the gun heavier as well.  Do you find a weapon mounted light a key part of your EDC setup?
View Quote
Yes.   Unless I'm carrying a revolver I tend to have a light on the gun.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:44:20 AM EDT
[#28]
I ALWAYS carry a handheld 18650 or 2X cr123 light clipped to my left front pocket but most of my carry guns don't have a provision for a light or the lights available are piss poor (60 to 100 lumens) and have no holster support.

I know it's sub optimal and I'll "get kilt in da streets" but its a risk I am willing to take, at least for deep carry.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 2:01:13 AM EDT
[#29]
No. I carry a G43x and a handheld.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 3:25:22 AM EDT
[#30]
No. I carry a flashlight though. And I use it daily. So far 100% more than I use my carry gun
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:19:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Yes, Streamlight TLR1-HL
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:25:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Rarely do I not carry with a WML, in this case a TLR-1HL. I don't own smaller lights like the TLR-7 because their candela is too low to push through photonic barriers. I always have a handheld Cloud MCH with a Thyrm Switchback no matter what. I've spent my whole career until last October working at night and I've gone out of my way, much to the annoyance of the brass, to seek lowlight training on my own. Proper tactics and techniques are a requirement. A WML isn't mandatory, but a good high-candela handheld and knowing how to employ it and shoot with it are.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't, even though I like the idea.  For me I mostly pocket carry and I did try the TRL6 but I just don't like the way the light activates as it feels unnatural.   If I were to carry a bigger gun then sure, as long as I had a holster to fit it, I'd probably carry it with a light, even though truthfully I don't go out much after dark.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top