Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#1]
This thread is relevant to my interests. I am also about to start ankle carry for the first time. I settled on a DeSantis rig for my 9mm Shield after a lot of review for functionality, comfort, and reliability. The Shield isn't my primary CCW, but I wanted something that presented more options for carry as needed.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I ankle carry a J frame in a Galco Ankle Glove over a boot. Probably the best ankle holster available. It’s purely a backup and works well for that, no issues. Gun stays in place running or fighting... from experience
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 10:19:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I carried an SC340 in a Desantis Apache ankle rig for a few months.

Pros:
• Easy to conceal as long as I wore boot cut jeans.
• Serviceable solution for a job where I was spending most of my time sitting. This is less true if you're obese or have mobility issues.
• Comfort and walking fine were not issues for me.

Cons:
• Slow draw.
• Depending on your setup, you may need to take your eyes off the target to draw in order to clear a pants cuff.
• If discretion is important, you have to be conscious about things like crawling under a desk to plug something in.
• I reconsidered my tactics when I ankle carried. Faced with a threat while carrying on the belt, I would generally seek cover / return fire. Faced with a threat while ankle carrying, I would generally seek cover, draw, and assess.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Glock 26 in a Tagua brand ankle holster.  Its not bad but my fight doctor says it is making me walk weird.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I found it hard to get to, uncomfortable, and rather hard to conceal all that well. I found a .32 or .380 slim pocket gun (like the Beretta Pico) is better by far. If you need super-amazing concealment get a Seecamp .32 and the Aker pocket holster from their store. Same size and thinner than a wallet, though the gun gives up a lot of ergonomics to be that way. A .22mag NAA mini revolver is also good but forget about reloading after 5 shots.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Carried a snubby 38 for years in a Galco ankle holster, just make sure it has the support strap that rides above the calf.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Carried a snubby on my ankle as a back up for decades.

Worked fine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:43:10 AM EDT
[#8]
The key is a quality holster and a lightweight gun.

I prefer a J frame because I never worry about bumping the mag release.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#9]
It works MUCH better for people who have a very slender build.
If you don't skip "leg day" you will have a hard time buying pants that have room for an ankle holster. They aren't made, but I know skinnier persons who love it.

If you're a lumpy out of shape cop, attending a fellow cops Bday party at a rugby bar (dumb on the surface right?), and the cops start an (even more dumb) fight with a sweaty, belligerant, seriously buzzed rugby team, don't hop around on one leg trying to access the ankle J-frame as your answer to a "friendly" fist fight that you initiated, 'cause the bouncer may be gun savvy and clock you to avoid a gunfight in the friendly neigborhood rugby bar
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glock 26 in a Tagua brand ankle holster.  Its not bad but my fight doctor says it is making me walk weird.
View Quote

I can’t imagine trying to carry my G26 in an ankle holster.
I know peeps do it, but if I tried it, I’d end up dragging my leg behind me like the Mummy in an old Universal Pictures horror film.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:26:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For those who have carried small Berettas, or maybe J frames, or lCPs (or any similar size gun) on your ankle, what was your experience like?  I get that it has limited utility, but it clearly has some utility (seated positions, driving or maybe at a work desk Etc.)  Did you maybe do it during the winter and abandon it when the weather got warm?  Any funny stories of your pants riding up or maybe having to wear certain types of pants?   I'm not saying I'm for or against but I am curious and I'd like to hear from people who have lived that life even if only for a little while.
View Quote

I sometimes carry a BUG (J-frame) in a Galco Ankle Glove with thumb break and the calf suspender strap (or whatever it's called).

If wearing shoes I wore black shoes with black socks.  It would blend right in.

Usually I wear Bates duty boots, it goes on right over the boot.

No crazy stories, just a solid way to carry back up.

When I carried "New York Reload" with that rig I was working a Stob and Rob in the winter, no problems walking through deep snow.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Airweight J-frame in a Galco ankle glove.  Only carried it that way as a BUG in plain clothes, and wasn’t expected to do anything physical.  It was comfortable and I wasn’t bothered by the weight on my ankle.  Would not recommend for primary carry, as it’s probably the least accessible option.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:04:36 AM EDT
[#13]
properly fitted dockers and slacks allow for a J frame in a pocket holster to disappear.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:39:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Carried for years, 10+ in uniformed patrol.  Gun was always a back up to the primary carry on my hip.  Would wear an Uncle Mike's nylon rig over a patrol boot.  Had to size up the pants 2 or 4 inches in the waist so that the pant leg was large enough at the bottom to fit over the gun and boot combo.  Then would have the waist taken in to where I wanted it to be.

It worked, but never had to deploy it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top