Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I've carried AIWB for some time but on Sundays, I often find myself in a suit so I resorted to ankle carry.

I had to get a new suit (lost weight) and the more modern cut of the legs meant I couldn't ankle carry so I started looking at a number of other ways. 5.11 holster shirt...too hot...shoulder holster...printed badly under new suit...got a bellyband and it works perfectly.

With a suit coat on and just a small amount of blousing on the tucked in dress shirt, I AIWB either a Glock 19 or P365 in the belly band and you can't tell. I regularly stand in front of the church and it's not noticeable.

Most importantly, I can draw quickly from the similar position I carry every day.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a g34 AIWB in the correct holster.  I can draw very fast.  Situational awareness is also important.  I watch the door and if anyone new comes along, they are spotted in the parking lot and watched closely.  We have many armed congregants.

Plus, I keep a nice Uzi SMG in a computer bag that is ready for rapid deployment.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A Glock at rest is one of the safest pistols on the market. Their striker is only partially cocked...not enough to actually fire the cartridge in the chamber...
View Quote
A Glock will very reliably ignite most any primer from the at rest striker position.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A Glock will very reliably ignite most any primer from the at rest striker position.  
View Quote
Uh oh
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Uh... no.

Unless you remove the striker safety plunger, the striker cannot pass the plunger and the firing pin does not protrude.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Got a source for this?
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Got a source for this?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got a source for this?
It's been discussed on pisol-forum numerous times.

It's why Glock failed the frisbee test a long time back.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got a source for this?

I thought it failed because the slide and frame seperated
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got a source for this?

The way I understand it, and could be wrong, is that the firing pin plunger could be depressed while the slide was departing and cause it fire the round in the chamber.

I think the redesigned trigger bar was the fix.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Uh... no.

Unless you remove the striker safety plunger, the striker cannot pass the plunger and the firing pin does not protrude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh... no.

Yep.

But people saying that the firing pin doesn't have enough energy at rest to light a primer is wrong.   They absolutely do.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The way I understand it, and could be wrong, is that the firing pin plunger could be depressed while the slide was departing and cause it fire the round in the chamber.

View Quote
So it's not actually a problem anymore. Your post infers that it is still a common issue,  which isn't so.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So it's not actually a problem anymore. Your post infers that it is still a common issue,  which isn't so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fix solved the slides flying off.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep.

But people saying that the firing pin doesn't have enough energy at rest to light a primer is wrong.   They absolutely do.
View Quote
You should explain your posts. Without explanation, the uninformed will misinterpret what you say and lead to bad information being spread.

Yes, the striker is under load due to the striker spring pushing the striker against the safety plunger, but it's not going to fire unless the plunger is depressed by pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The fix solved the slides flying off.
View Quote
Which he claimed was the reason they would fire. As the slide was coming off.

Which still means it's no longer a problem like despite his implication.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#15]
What I'm saying is that where the striker is held in a Glock with the trigger  fully forward, there is enough energy in the spring that it would ignite a primer if the striker could be released from that position.

We all know that a properly functioning gun won't allow this to happen.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 2:21:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I have been an AIWB convert for nearly 15 years. Started carrying appendix back when Gabe Suarez first started pushing it hard back at the beginning of the movement. Back then, there was a pretty large group of anti AIWB that made sure to let you know how idiotic you were any time you would share your carry setup, or suggest it as a valid carry option. Lots of references to mexican carry, etc.

Bought a Dale Fricke archangel holster as my first AIWB holster.  At the time, Dale was one of the only people in the game making good AIWB holsters. His design still holds up. Still a favorite and carry with it often. That and a tier 1 concealment holster are my go to holsters.

Even way back then the benefit of fitting a reload in the "pocket" created by the holster was apparent.

I still carry an xd 9 service model nearly every day. The exception being if i am open carrying my glock 40 out in the woods.

I know lots of people have hate for the old school xd, but mine has been flawless through countless thousands of rounds. I prefer the grip safety for the purpose of re holstering appendix. I moved onto a glock 19 for awhile, and during dry fire draw exercises, i actually had a ND when reholstering when the tail of my shirt got stuck in the trigger guard. Luckily it was dry fire exercises.

For me, Appendix is the way.

Link Posted: 2/25/2020 2:50:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Once the bad guy has you at gunpoint, you are already in a losing situation.   I don't think I would have reached for my gun if I knew others were watching the guy and had my back.   I feel like I would have put my hands up to try to de escalate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The guy who got deaded needed to get off the X, IMO. Move and survive now, shoot when you can.

He stood right there, square in front of a killer, obviously fumbling for a gun, for too long.
I don't mean to demean or speak ill of the dead.

But I did show the video to my wife and it was the first time she heard of 'get off the X'. I think the video cemented in her mind (and reminded me) of the value of doing whatever you can to force the aggressor to react to a changing situation...rather than the good guy have to react to the situation imposed by the aggressor.
Once the bad guy has you at gunpoint, you are already in a losing situation.   I don't think I would have reached for my gun if I knew others were watching the guy and had my back.   I feel like I would have put my hands up to try to de escalate.
You would have just died with your hands up. That guy went there intending to kill unarmed people. Being behind the curve is not ideal, but giving up would not have worked. Good guy should have closed the gap and tried to get hands on the weapon or displace dudes balance IMO. Easy to judge a video after the fact though. Either way he tried to stop him. Just because he failed doesn't make him less of a hero.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 3:07:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You would have just died with your hands up. That guy went there intending to kill unarmed people. Being behind the curve is not ideal, but giving up would not have worked. Good guy should have closed the gap and tried to get hands on the weapon or displace dudes balance IMO. Easy to judge a video after the fact though. Either way he tried to stop him. Just because he failed doesn't make him less of a hero.
View Quote
Guy was just too slow period. Not to judge, but he did not look like he was proficient or confident in his draw. To top it off he was drawing on a drawn gun. It was a bad situation all together, and im not sure he could have won even if he had a sub 1 second draw from appendix, but it does highlight the fact that most people who carry a gun do not train regularly, and are not proficient enough.

How many people carry every day on an empty chamber? etc. For most people who carry, its a paper weight that makes them feel good while they are out. Look how many other members of the congregation pulled their guns wayyy after the encounter was over. Half those people look like they are pretending to be extras in an action movie.

Fact is, if you cannot put your pistol to work in under 1.5 seconds, your likely to have a bad day when you need to draw.

Yes, he should have got off the x immediately, but thats a different topic all together.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 3:22:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The guy who got deaded needed to get off the X, IMO. Move and survive now, shoot when you can.

He stood right there, square in front of a killer, obviously fumbling for a gun, for too long.
I don't mean to demean or speak ill of the dead.

But I did show the video to my wife and it was the first time she heard of 'get off the X'. I think the video cemented in her mind (and reminded me) of the value of doing whatever you can to force the aggressor to react to a changing situation...rather than the good guy have to react to the situation imposed by the aggressor.
That wasn't a simple robbery.  That gunman was there to kill people.

Instead of "hands up" he might have closed the gap and gone "hands on" instead.

The gentleman was heavy & older (can't blame him) but the moving off X and into the bad guy might have made it difficult for gunman. The 10  step rule can work both ways...

Not to criticism him in any way, but just an observation.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 4:36:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That wasn't a simple robbery.  That gunman was there to kill people.

Instead of "hands up" he might have closed the gap and gone "hands on" instead.

The gentleman was heavy & older (can't blame him) but the moving off X and into the bad guy might have made it difficult for gunman. The 10  step rule can work both ways...

Not to criticism him in any way, but just an observation.
View Quote
Perhaps I'm misreading you or you misread me, but it looks as though we are in complete agreement here. For what it's worth, I went AIWB years ago and personally feel other methods of carry are far less effective in terms of fighting with a pistol. I also agree with the poster above that a four to five second static draw is sub par at best and at worst will get you killed. Training is key for responding to these types of situations and just standing on a line and shooting groups at seven yards once a year isn't near enough. Just having a gun on you will no more keep you safe than a rock if you can't use it effectively.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 4:53:25 AM EDT
[#21]
If you are on a security team, you need more than one tool.

A drawn gun isn't always the solution for many Church disruptions or situations.  Having been security for a downtown Church in a major city, we spent much time dealing with "problems" that pulling a pistol would have been completely the wrong solution.  Most disruptions are solved by firm language and a firm hand.  Most "Church Incidents" are more related to trespassing or theft.

If the gentleman had quickly closed the gap and grabbed the crazy guy he MIGHT have prevented him from bringing the weapon to bear or operate it effectively.

There were two adult men within feet of a person of obvious concern.

I do wonder if they had any "Training" outside of getting a CHL?  Both with & without handgun?

Not in anyway criticism of those two Gentleman.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I've never had issues with debris in Kydex holsters, regardless of position. I can say that I've had debris get between the hammer and firing pin on a 1911 before.
Part of the problem with the situation in TX was mindset as I see it...but then again, it's difficult to draw down on someone in a church when they haven't presented a weapon yet - from a social perspective.
Someone could have had a pistol on him already as I understand, they knew he was there and he was up to no good. I may be wrong.
AIWB would be a good solution though.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:15:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Lose weight and pull up your pants. Dont have to be erckle but higher than you probably do now
View Quote
This is my issue with appendix right here. I tend to wear my pants low on the waist which leaves little space between the belt line and flex of the hip. I can get away with a 2” snub but anything bigger won’t work unless I change the way I dress- dressing around the gun is key here ( any method really)  and I will agree appendix works best for thin people
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 5:20:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This is my issue with appendix right here. I tend to wear my pants low on the waist which leaves little space between the belt line and flex of the hip. I can get away with a 2" snub but anything bigger won't work unless I change the way I dress- dressing around the gun is key here ( any method really)  and I will agree appendix works best for thin people
View Quote
Now that I don't go into the office, I've been packing the G19 more. Was never much of a fan of AIWB - mostly because I had a bit of a gut, but lost almost all of it in the last year or so. Proper belt (Wilderness) and a kydex holster and off we go. Carrying the G19 for 5 days straight now, sitting in the truck, doing chores...no problem. Folks underestimate physical condition a lot when carrying. That said, the old adage of dressing around your gun and not the other way around, is true. Pants a size bigger than needed and one hell of a belt goes a long ways.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I carry my Kahr P9 in a Spencers Concealment Errand.
It is the best and most comfortable AIWB holster that I have ever used.

I don’t like to carry In any other position at this time.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top