Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2017 8:37:31 AM EDT
I'm zeroing in on the gun I'm going to make my daily carry. I'm probably going to pick up an XDmod2 service model with a 4inch slide and 16+1 magazine capacity or a an XDm compact with a 3.8 slid and 13+1 magazine.
One thing at a time. Slid length is what I am considering. I've carried a g19 for a while.  It seems to me that with the gun riding up high enough to get a proper grip on it, a shorter slide is just a bad idea. I am basing this only on my very limited experience and stuff I make up in my own head. But the glock seems like it doesn't have much leverage to prevent the gun from rolling out over the top a bit. I'm pretty sure the gun would be uncomfortable when attempting to bend over if it was any longer, so there is the compromise.
But the truth is that I have never carried a gun with a 3.8 inch slide so I simply don't know. That's why I am asking others.

I started thinking maybe a 4inch slide with a 13+1 grip would be a better carry package. So I did some research. I am far from the first person to have this thought. LOTS of people have take the 4.0 service model and chopped down the grip to the compact 13+1 grip and they seem very happy with it, so there is that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 3.8" XDm, a shield and a 4" XDs. I got the shield to replace the xdm because it is just too big of a grip to conceal consistently in a tshirt. I also couldn't carry the xdm appendix because of the type of holster I bought. I have carried the shield for the last 3 years in a kydex appendiz holster with zero issues and I love it.

Now, I just got the 4" xds a few weeks ago and was apprehensive about appendix carry after comparing size with the shield. I ordered the same kydex holster I have for the shield and I can barely notice a difference at all. Being in Florida where I'm in tshirts almost year round I personally prefer to carry a small single stack and spare mag, instead of a big double stack. It's just easier to conceal for me.

What has made the biggest impact for carrying was the belt. I had the issue you were referring to with the gun tipping out at the top and moving around a lot. I finally broke down and got an actual "gun belt" and holy crap, it blew my mind. The width and thickness of the belt, coupled with the rigid nature of a gun specific belt completely eliminated ANY movement or "tipping" issues. It is the same size as the J clip on the holster, so the holster actually snaps onto the belt. Having the holster held more tightly to my body is what eliminated the forward tipping.

Sorry for the novel, got nothing to do today lol. Basically I don't think you can go wrong with any of those guns. Get a good belt and carry often and you will get used to anything.

Edit: Nothing against double stacks, I could carry my xdm if I got a more appendix specific holster. I may actually just do that, thanks for the push
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 3.8" XDm, a shield and a 4" XDs. I got the shield to replace the xdm because it is just too big of a grip to conceal consistently in a tshirt. I also couldn't carry the xdm appendix because of the type of holster I bought. I have carried the shield for the last 3 years in a kydex appendiz holster with zero issues and I love it.

Now, I just got the 4" xds a few weeks ago and was apprehensive about appendix carry after comparing size with the shield. I ordered the same kydex holster I have for the shield and I can barely notice a difference at all. Being in Florida where I'm in tshirts almost year round I personally prefer to carry a small single stack and spare mag, instead of a big double stack. It's just easier to conceal for me.

What has made the biggest impact for carrying was the belt. I had the issue you were referring to with the gun tipping out at the top and moving around a lot. I finally broke down and got an actual "gun belt" and holy crap, it blew my mind. The width and thickness of the belt, coupled with the rigid nature of a gun specific belt completely eliminated ANY movement or "tipping" issues. It is the same size as the J clip on the holster, so the holster actually snaps onto the belt. Having the holster held more tightly to my body is what eliminated the forward tipping.

Sorry for the novel, got nothing to do today lol. Basically I don't think you can go wrong with any of those guns. Get a good belt and carry often and you will get used to anything.

Edit: Nothing against double stacks, I could carry my xdm if I got a more appendix specific holster. I may actually just do that, thanks for the push
View Quote
You said the grip of the 3.8inch is too big for you to conceal under a t-shirt. Is that with the 13 round magazine?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Negative, should have given that disclaimer. I got mine when it first came out and only had the 16rnd mag. I tried a buddy's compact and it just wasn't quite as comfortable as my little single stacks. BUT I think I may get another holster to carry the big gun, because why not?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm zeroing in on the gun I'm going to make my daily carry. I'm probably going to pick up an XDmod2 service model with a 4inch slide and 16+1 magazine capacity or a an XDm compact with a 3.8 slid and 13+1 magazine.
One thing at a time. Slid length is what I am considering. I've carried a g19 for a while.  It seems to me that with the gun riding up high enough to get a proper grip on it, a shorter slide is just a bad idea. I am basing this only on my very limited experience and stuff I make up in my own head. But the glock seems like it doesn't have much leverage to prevent the gun from rolling out over the top a bit. I'm pretty sure the gun would be uncomfortable when attempting to bend over if it was any longer, so there is the compromise.
But the truth is that I have never carried a gun with a 3.8 inch slide so I simply don't know. That's why I am asking others.

I started thinking maybe a 4inch slide with a 13+1 grip would be a better carry package. So I did some research. I am far from the first person to have this thought. LOTS of people have take the 4.0 service model and chopped down the grip to the compact 13+1 grip and they seem very happy with it, so there is that.
View Quote
I'm happy w/ my Glock 26 and a Pearce +2  AIWB.   I can't comfortably carry a longer slide right now, but with all my loss I've still got a belly.   I might be able to carry a longer one if it wasn't for that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
AIWB the G43 I have is pretty nice but bigger stuff is to painful for me due to prior injuries.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#6]
What type of holster/devices for holster are you using?

I had comfort/printing issues with my 19 at first, but then I added an rcs claw and g code clip.

No more issues, and it carries very well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#7]
The vast majority of guys I know and train with carry a g19 appendix.  That has a barrel length of 4 inches. That's why I'm stuck on that particular detail. It seems to be the maximum length to be comfortable to carry. Marksmanship is paramount and a bigger gun results in more hits, within reason. But what I am reading here is that most find a shorter slide to b more comfortable. I probably shouldn't care about losing that  2/10 of an inch with  the 3.8inch XD. But....I do.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The vast majority of guys I know and train with carry a g19 appendix.  That has a barrel length of 4 inches. That's why I'm stuck on that particular detail. It seems to be the maximum length to be comfortable to carry. Marksmanship is paramount and a bigger gun results in more hits, within reason. But what I am reading here is that most find a shorter slide to b more comfortable. I probably shouldn't care about losing that  2/10 of an inch with  the 3.8inch XD. But....I do.
View Quote
Other dimensions may play on fit as well, overall length, any hammer spurs or beavertail grip extensions, overall grip height or grip angle, etc.  So that .2 inch probably isn't really a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I carry my m9a1 compact in a aiwb holster made for a full size Beretta and a g19 in one made for a G17. The longer body helps to keep the grip in.

My 5" 1911 is carried in a jmcustom aiwb holster with a slight bulge in the kydex by the muzzle that really helps to keep the longer grip sucked in.

All of the above holsters have rcs wings as well
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#10]
IMHO, slide length isn't as much as an issue as grip length.  I can still comfortably AIWB a G17 but, for my body type, the grip length is too long making it less concealable due to printing.

As you have found out, with AIWB, if you have the holster height where you can acquire a good grip then a very short slide will make the gun/holster have a tendency  to "flip" or "roll" over the belt.  There needs to be enough slide mass below the belt line to keep things balanced.  Some folks have worked around this issue by using a longer holster.  Like using a G17 holster for a G19.

How you carry depends on a lot of trial and error to find what works best for you.  I have found the G19 is the best fit for me for AIWB.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I carry my m9a1 compact in a aiwb holster made for a full size Beretta and a g19 in one made for a G17. The longer body helps to keep the grip in.

My 5" 1911 is carried in a jmcustom aiwb holster with a slight bulge in the kydex by the muzzle that really helps to keep the longer grip sucked in.

View Quote
I know how this is going to sound, but I'm going to ask anyway. Could you tell me what your body type is? A 5inch gun is kind of big for most people with appendix carry. I'm average height, average torso, average weight, medium build. If you are skinny and 6' 5", I'm not surprised you are fine with a full size 1911.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Negative, should have given that disclaimer. I got mine when it first came out and only had the 16rnd mag.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Negative, should have given that disclaimer. I got mine when it first came out and only had the 16rnd mag.
That makes sense. The 16 round mag is 1/2 inch longer than the g19 that everybody carries. It seems like that 1/2 inch is just enough to start causing problems.

BUT I think I may get another holster to carry the big gun, because why not?
I couldn't agree more.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know how this is going to sound, but I'm going to ask anyway. Could you tell me what your body type is? A 5inch gun is kind of big for most people with appendix carry. I'm average height, average torso, average weight, medium build. If you are skinny and 6' 5", I'm not surprised you are fine with a full size 1911.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all. I'm 5-11 at a little over 220. I'm a little softer right now after a winter that I had to put my dog down after cancer. I'm typically 10lbs lighter from running and hunting with him but this year we just sat on the couch together.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I appendix carry my Glock 17 daily and don't really have any issues comfort wise. I am actually planning on carrying a 34 soon when I get the slide milled for an rmr. Granted I do wear my pants at belly button heighth like an old man and that plays a huge part in getting away with the slide length.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not at all. I'm 5-11 at a little over 220. I'm a little softer right now after a winter that I had to put my dog down after cancer. I'm typically 10lbs lighter from running and hunting with him but this year we just sat on the couch together.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1492367268925547457595-188719.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1492367323534-2115013493-188721.JPG
View Quote
Thanks!
Now, I'm sitting here with a springfield XD45 tactical. Which is a double stack .45, 5 inch slide, and a short 10 round mag. Doesn't that 1911 jamb into your ribs and your crotch everytime you bend over?

Maybe the fact you are 3 inches taller than me makes a difference of 1inch or 1/2inch on the slide length. That would actually make sense.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Bend at the knees, not at the waist. Just sitting isn't uncomfortable at all. I suppose if I bent at the waist to tie my shoes it would be uncomfortable but why would I do that?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1492367268925547457595-188719.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1492367323534-2115013493-188721.JPG
View Quote
Sorry to hear about your best friend.

I wish I could carry appendix that easy I had trouble just carrying my G43 for the first time this weekend.  It is going to take getting used to if at all.  That beavertail seems like it would be hella uncomfortable sitting in a car.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks.

It's noticeable but I wouldn't call it uncomfortable. You said you had an injury or something? What kind if you don't mind me asking?. It might help knowing in regards to a good holster to try.

What gun/holster types have you tried?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Have carried a comped 19, 17 or 34 with an X300U for about 6 months in a CNC holster.

The longer the slide, the more stable and comfortable. Guess it would also depend on where your pants ride and length from crotch to beltline.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#20]
4" or under.

3"-3.5" is really nice though.

G19, G26 or a Shield are the best guns for this role in my opinion but whatever gun in that size range that you shoot well is fine.

Been carrying A IWB exclusively for almost 6 years now.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#21]
It really is all dependent on your build/proportions my man. At 6' 205ish I carry a G19 with x300 every day. I think the longer slide holsters are actually more comfortable because they are long enough that they don't dig into the soft tissue below your beltline.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#22]
This has me wondering how well a Glock 34 w/ a TLR1 will work.  Anyone doing it?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Theres sonethibg to be said for a slide long enough that it wont point at your nuts when you sit down.

From time to time i carry a 3.3xds, p07, g17 and even g34 aiwb.  

I still really havent found the perfect holsters, especially for sitting.  I like the enhanced safety measures of the xds and p07 because theyrr small Nd eaaier to end up pointed at artery & nuts
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This has me wondering how well a Glock 34 w/ a TLR1 will work.  Anyone doing it?
View Quote
I have a badiwan Gotham holster that works with most guns and a surefire x300 that's pretty comfy. It is bulky enough that I don't EDC it with a tshirt. It is great for date nights with the wife where I'm wearing untucked button up shirts though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I think safety wise for appendix carry the XD is a better choice.  As long as you keep your hand of the beavertail safety you can be pretty sure it can't go off when reholstering if something gets caught in the trigger guard, which can be a real risk.  As far as slide length I think it doesn't matter as much as the configuration of your holster.  Some will push it higher or lower on your belt line.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#26]
G19 is about the max for comfortable AIWB carry for me. G43 is much more comfortable.

I can conceal my G34, but the slide really digs in. I'm 5'11" 185 lbs.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Glock 26 is what is most comfortable for me. 19 is doable, but the 26 allows me to bend and sit without any issue.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:52:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think safety wise for appendix carry the XD is a better choice.  As long as you keep your hand of the beavertail safety you can be pretty sure it can't go off when reholstering if something gets caught in the trigger guard, which can be a real risk.  As far as slide length I think it doesn't matter as much as the configuration of your holster.  Some will push it higher or lower on your belt line.
View Quote
Except if you're not gripping the gun with a full grip you are giving up control of the weapon
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:30:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Except if you're not gripping the gun with a full grip you are giving up control of the weapon
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also if you add a SCD or "Gadget" (and train with it) to the Glock to remove any worries about reholstering with it.

I find a Glock 19 (4") is the longest I can comfortably carry when riding in the car. A longer holster will torque due to my short torso.

ETA I'm just under 5'4" and use a JM Custom holster that was ordered with the split belt loop where you have to thread your belt through the loops.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:56:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Also if you add a SCD or "Gadget" (and train with it) to the Glock to remove any worries about reholstering with it.
View Quote
Which I do. It's very convenient since I also carry hammer fired guns and have always placed my thumb on the hammer upon reholster.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

G19 w\x300u
21 rnd magpul mag reload
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
For me, the thumb is up on the back/left of the slide as the gun clears the holster. Thumb comes down as part of the drawstroke as the gun clears the holster. This same action would disengage the safety on a 1911 or hi power as the gun is clearing the holster. Personally, I want the safety off as the gun clears so I can start putting rounds on target from 0 feet.
When reholstering, the thumb comes up to the back of the slide, going from retention position to reholster. If it is a 1911 or hi power, this engages the saftey. If it is an XD, it also engages the safety. I train to reholster slowly and deliberately, no rush. I'm not a cop so I don't train to reholster while cuffing people or anything like that. If I'm reholstering it's because I'm positive there is no longer a threat.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#33]
It looks like 3.8" slide is about right for me with my short torso. A 4" starts to become a lot more uncomfortable if I bend over. A longer slide would be a lot more acceptable if I carried with the slide at about 1oclocl or 2 oclock because it would be in that crease between my gut and my leg. But since staying concealed in a tucked shirt is very important, the slide is closer to 12 oclock where it is easier to twist the grip into my stomach and hide it.
It's what currently works for me.
I used to carry a 10mm with a 5inch slide and a 6 inch barrel and I loved the gun, and I still could if I carried at 3oclock under a loose shirt, but things change.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
I am tall.  Ive appendix carried a g43, g19 and g17.

The g17 is a tad too long.  The g19 and 43 carry the best.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

For me, the thumb is up on the back/left of the slide as the gun clears the holster. Thumb comes down as part of the drawstroke as the gun clears the holster. This same action would disengage the safety on a 1911 or hi power as the gun is clearing the holster. Personally, I want the safety off as the gun clears so I can start putting rounds on target from 0 feet.
When reholstering, the thumb comes up to the back of the slide, going from retention position to reholster. If it is a 1911 or hi power, this engages the saftey. If it is an XD, it also engages the safety. I train to reholster slowly and deliberately, no rush. I'm not a cop so I don't train to reholster while cuffing people or anything like that. If I'm reholstering it's because I'm positive there is no longer a threat.
View Quote
I agree with what your saying. I do the same
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#36]
I didn't realize Magpul was making 21rd mags. Ill need to find some
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I didn't realize Magpul was making 21rd mags. Ill need to find some
View Quote
I like them especially for appendix, as they're easier to grab. Appendix-canted mag pouches tend to sit low.

Very reasonably priced and bulletproof reliability.

http://www.primaryarms.com/mpi-pmag-gl9-9mm-21rd-mag661
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top