Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2017 12:56:46 PM EDT
I've been searching for the perfect deep conceal holster for a while and like many, I have more than a few holsters.  However, last night I was sitting in front of my computer searching for the next best thing in ACH and it struck me to try to position my pistol inside my waist band where I would like to carry it and see if it would fit and feel good "without" a holster.  THAT was it.  I have determined that my pistol simply won't feel good in any position in front of my belt in a ACH position.  It was like getting hit with a stick; a total V8 moment.

I have a great paddle holster that I use for open carry as well as a drop holster if I need to create a quick access point when hunting or hiking.  However, since I wear my pant on the tight side and a little higher than most people, I don't think I'll ever be happy with the level of concealment offer by ACH.  While I really like the "small of the back" position, I am aware that SOB presents security issues as well as access issues because of the twisting and shoulder/elbow contortions required to access that location.

I've been looking at the Urban Carry holster but I believe I'd have problems access that because of the tight beltline.  I've tried the Thunderwear/Lightening style deep concealment carry "belt" holsters but I have almost zero hips/butt the control the position of such a style holster and ended up returning their product.  I'm not really asking for advice or assistance in selecting a holster because I've been around the block on this issue and feel like I've exhausted every option.  I just wanted to post about my V8 moment.  Anyone else having trouble finding the "perfect" IWB holster may want to try to position their weapon in what might be their ideal location and see if you would be satisfied with a specific location before you add another holster to the growing collection in your "holster drawer."
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#1]
"J-Frame in pocket holster." - Sun Tzu (probably)

I've tried a few AIWB options and have never been comfortable sitting or driving.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Appendix is the ONLY position I can carry without it being uncomfortable/printing like a mofo.

Whatever works,  right?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Appendix is the ONLY position I can carry without it being uncomfortable/printing like a mofo.

Whatever works,  right?
View Quote

This for me as well. I don't try to push AIWB carry on people at all, but for some of us its the only way to carry. I am a taller and kind of slim dude, and carrying 3-5 oclock just prints like all get out on me. Its also less comfortable for me to draw from, with having to pull my  arms/shoulders up so much higher to reach back there. I can carry in the front comfortably, and my draw is quicker and more consistent.

I can drive for hours on vacation with a G19 + x300 tucked in there and never get uncomfortable. But again, whatever works for you is what you should roll with.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Whatever works,  right?
View Quote
Strong side is the ONLY position I carry without it being uncomfortable and printing like a telegraph.

Like you said, whatever works. Right?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#5]
You might be surprised that a good holster might help. Jamming the gun in your pants does not correlate directly
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:43:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried a couple times to appendix carry and it wasn't comfortable at all. Maybe there is a holster out there that would work for me but I prefer 3:30 -  4 o'clock.  I'm almost 5'8 and 145lbs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:29:48 AM EDT
[#7]
i need to get a new holster for AIWB...im 6'1 about 220 don't really have a gut but not the fittest guy..sorta...normal lol

and with my concealment express holster sitting my g19 digs into my hip bones or jabs me in the stomach if i move it over...but standing up and walking around, its fucking great and no one sees it.

maybe i just need to deal with it lol
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:28:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i need to get a new holster for AIWB...im 6'1 about 220 don't really have a gut but not the fittest guy..sorta...normal lol

and with my concealment express holster sitting my g19 digs into my hip bones or jabs me in the stomach if i move it over...but standing up and walking around, its fucking great and no one sees it.

maybe i just need to deal with it lol
View Quote
If you're dead set on appendix and trying to make it work, have a look at this video.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:52:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you're dead set on appendix and trying to make it work, have a look at this video.
View Quote

damn...arfcom spending my money again
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been searching for the perfect deep conceal holster for a while and like many, I have more than a few holsters.  However, last night I was sitting in front of my computer searching for the next best thing in ACH and it struck me to try to position my pistol inside my waist band where I would like to carry it and see if it would fit and feel good "without" a holster.  THAT was it.  I have determined that my pistol simply won't feel good in any position in front of my belt in a ACH position.  It was like getting hit with a stick; a total V8 moment.

I have a great paddle holster that I use for open carry as well as a drop holster if I need to create a quick access point when hunting or hiking.  However, since I wear my pant on the tight side and a little higher than most people, I don't think I'll ever be happy with the level of concealment offer by ACH.  While I really like the "small of the back" position, I am aware that SOB presents security issues as well as access issues because of the twisting and shoulder/elbow contortions required to access that location.

I've been looking at the Urban Carry holster but I believe I'd have problems access that because of the tight beltline.  I've tried the Thunderwear/Lightening style deep concealment carry "belt" holsters but I have almost zero hips/butt the control the position of such a style holster and ended up returning their product.  I'm not really asking for advice or assistance in selecting a holster because I've been around the block on this issue and feel like I've exhausted every option.  I just wanted to post about my V8 moment.  Anyone else having trouble finding the "perfect" IWB holster may want to try to position their weapon in what might be their ideal location and see if you would be satisfied with a specific location before you add another holster to the growing collection in your "holster drawer."
View Quote

I carried a few different snubbies SOB. A 30-1 and a 642. If you are right handed going SOB, try a left handed holster. If you are a leftie, go right. It helps with the arm twisting.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:04:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Funny you mention wearing your pants higher, I've found that the only way AIWB is comfortable for me is by pulling my pants up higher, and making the holster ride higher relative to my belt. That way it doesn't dig in to me as much while sitting down. I still don't like it much except for when standing. So far I pretty much only carry appendix when I'm keeping the gun in the center console of the truck, then get out to go somewhere and stick the gun in my pants. Having it in the console is quicker access while driving, and its quick to take it out and put it on AIWB.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you looked at these?  Works great with a PPK but I don’t know how it would do with a larger pistol.

Cooks Holster
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Funny you mention wearing your pants higher, I've found that the only way AIWB is comfortable for me is by pulling my pants up higher, and making the holster ride higher relative to my belt. That way it doesn't dig in to me as much while sitting down. I still don't like it much except for when standing. So far I pretty much only carry appendix when I'm keeping the gun in the center console of the truck, then get out to go somewhere and stick the gun in my pants. Having it in the console is quicker access while driving, and its quick to take it out and put it on AIWB.
View Quote
This is me.  I carried my G26 AIWB for 2 days and it just was a no go.  It's always jamming on the bone down there, (I guess that would be the pubic bone).  I have a little bit of a gut, even though I'm slim, I'm getting old.  LOL.  Now a j frame works wonderfully there.  The handle clears the gut and the 1-7/8" barrel isn't jamming on anything.  I could probably get away with a 2.5" barrel.  Maybe even a 3".
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I use Crossbreed Super tuck.  I have owned a huge amount of holsters.  These are the only ones I currently use.  All the rest went away in a yard sale.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Had WHH and Alien Gear IWB @4 o'clock position and Appendix carry holsters, wearing mostly the IWB holsters.
Purchased an INCOG Eclipse Holster and have been carrying my G33, 13+1 appendix carry ever since, and is my favorite carry set up.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 1:22:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
"J-Frame in pocket holster." - Sun Tzu (probably)

I've tried a few AIWB options and have never been comfortable sitting or driving.
View Quote
There is a fine line between snug enough to stay put, and loose enough to access easily, and good luck drawing while seated.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 1:46:03 AM EDT
[#17]
5' 11" and 160lbs and I AIWB a G17 or G20 depending on where I'm at. I use either a locally made Guerilla Holster with claw and wing, or a Armordillo x-fer if I have the light mounted. I spend a lot of time driving and have no issues with those setups
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top