Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2016 11:12:55 AM EDT
I recently purchased a Shield 45 to replace my Para P10 as a CCW. After exhaustive research on holsters I ended up going with a local companies Kydex OWB holster that my LGS carries. The problem I'm having is the grip on the newer shield's grip against bare skin is like 80 grit sandpaper. A lot of times all I wear is a T shirt. I was thinking about contacting the "custom holster co" that made this holster and seeing if they would make an inner panel that extends up over the grip to protect bare skin. Can anyone think of a reason this is a bad idea?
The people that made the holster are out of Bunker Hill WV, call themselves Mountaineer custom holsters, or something like that.
https://www.facebook.com/Mountaineer-Custom-Holsters-LLC-1630826220548290/
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Just get an Agrip for it and thank me later. Thats what I had to do  I think I just used one for the regular 9/40 Shield. Worked PERFECT!
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Some people have lightly sanded the grips to knock the texture down a little bit with good results.

Another option:  http://talongungrips.com/grips/smith-and-wesson/shield.html
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 4:48:56 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the Talon grips in rubber. I had to get one for my Shield 45 as well because that abrasive stuff is just horrible.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 8:17:55 AM EDT
[#4]
The grip surface is one thing I really liked about the shield. Never thought about it rubbing o hole through my skin when carrying. When I was trying out holsters, I borrowed a shield from the lgs's inventory, that's when I figured it out. My shield doesn't seem as bad, but still a bit much. I'm tempted to lightly sand one side of it, but don't want to screw it up. I'll probably be buying one of the grip covers you guys recommend.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#5]
The Agrip is MUCH MUCH softer than Talons. It looks weird as it is like black velvet on the grip. It does however work amazing. Also the more you sweat the better the grip. They are much better than talons and last much longer. I have had some for over 10 years. They are a little more money and harder to install than the talons. If you want soft and grippy get the Agrip and pay attention to the instructions. Make sure you have a new straight edge razor blade handy if you need it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Just ordered the Agrips. Thanks for the tips.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Follow the instructions carefully and go slow. You can trim the material with an Xacto (new blade) and/or straight edge razor blade. To put the oil around the mag release use a toothpick. Once you have done it once it goes much easier if you put it on anything else. I have it on all my polymer pistols. It reminds me a black velvet Elvis painting.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 10:55:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just get an Agrip for it and thank me later. Thats what I had to do  I think I just used one for the regular 9/40 Shield. Worked PERFECT!
View Quote

Thank you. Got my Agrip the other day, installed it and so far, so good.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds great. Like I said I have had some of them on for close to 10 years maybe more. I may have replaced one but not positive! They stay working great even when well broken in
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top