Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2006 12:08:01 AM EDT
Thanks guys for the advise.  I think that I will keep them in their original config.  Now I just have to figure out how to get all that damn cosmoline off.

I am new to owning an SKS and like it very much.  I have two of them and would like to turn one into a shooter and one into a display.  With the shooter, I would like to put on a detachable high cap magazine, but have been told to be careful due to the 10 or less rule.  Though I still don't understand the rule very well, can anyone please suggest the easiest way (and most cost effective) that I can legally put on a detachable high capacity magazine to my SKS (Chinese)?  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:24:10 AM EDT
[#1]
WEll, I have kept my SKS (Yugo)  all original. So I can't give you direct help, but no one, and I mean no one, has ever told me that they did a 30 rd detach mag to their SKS and kept it that way. All kinds of failure to load and other issues with them.

Best of luck to you, but I think you should just get some stripper clips and practice reloads.

No Expert
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#2]
You can add a detachable mag fairly easily by just removing the trigger group and taking out the fixed mag - which leaves a spot for the detachable to fit in.

***HOWEVER*** this should ONLY be done if you have replaced the appropriate number of foreign parts with US parts. This is hard to do on an SKS as it requires many more parts replaced than an AK does. I believe it is a FELONY to add a detachable mag if you haven't converted it to US.

BTW, I have a few SKS's with detachables that were configured that way in the late 80s before the ban went into effect, and they work flawlessly with my USA Mag - never a problem. It is difficult to find 30 round mags that work well as most of them are crap.

I will keep those two SKS's in the detachable configuration, but for others I prefer the original mag. 10 rounds on stripper clips are quick & easy to load and hardly ever have issues. I can reload with stripper clips quicker than I can change out a detachable mag...
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#3]
This was on the second page you should try reading previous post.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=83&t=83384
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top