Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2016 11:58:51 AM EDT
I have met the enemy and I concede the field.

Nice M59 from Dan's. After taking it apart, it received a mineral spirits bath. Next came Krud Kuttter. After, that, the black garbage bag on the dash for an afternoon. Finally, out in the backyard Tampa sun for an entire day of wiping and flipping.

I then did, three separate half-hour sessions with a blow dryer on hot frequently turning and wiping, turning and wiping. Have shot it with the stock dry twice. Two one hundred round sessions getting it good and warm.

OMG !   The shit that still oozes out ...   just got finished hosing the whole thing with non-chlorinated brake cleaner and after letting it dry, applied Casey's Tru-Oil.

I surrender.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I know what you mean.  I've owned four SKS's in my five decades of shooting. That shit will not completely come out. I just recently bought  my 4th Norinco SKS and that crap is nasty. Took it apart and cleaned for hours. I wiped the wood stock with Old English oil and wiped it down with multiple rags. It still stinks. Every time I handle it, I have to wash my hands. That shit may serve its purpose as an anti rust/corrosion but it sucks to clean it off.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Dunk in a 55gal can of gas.

come back in a week to 10 days. Slosh daily.

I'm kidding but honestly it's really the only way.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Boil the small parts, pull them out and air dry, the water will evaporate almost immediately at that temp.

As for the wood, I built a big fire in the fireplace, put a cosmolined M-48 next to the fire and an aluminum foil heat reflector behind that.
Turn it side to side on occasion to expose the opposite side directly to the fire.  The Cosmoline will weep out constantly.  Pull aside and wipe off, restoking the fire at the same time.
Put the rifle back in front of the fire and repeat until it stops bleeding cosmoline.
You can put the barrel & large parts there as well, preferably vertical.
Finish up the residual with regular cleaning stuff.

Time & heat beat solvents any day with that stuff.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 12:57:38 AM EDT
[#4]
There's always the dishwasher...
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:08:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Simple Green
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I know some people frown in it but I always us Easy Off oven cleaner
Spray it on let sit for about 20 minutes, wipe the Easy Off off with a wet sponge and let dry for a few days
Always works for me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:31:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Have used the Easy Off on an old M1 Garand Stock.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Boiling water works.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Use hot water and dish soap for the stock.

Always worked for me.

Good luck
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks everyone ! I friggin' love my Yugo. My boy is now coveting.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's always the dishwasher...
View Quote

Works very well...just don't let the warden catch ya  
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:40:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dunk in a 55gal can of gas.

come back in a week to 10 days. Slosh daily.

I'm kidding but honestly it's really the only way.
View Quote
$120 worth of gasoline to clean a $100 rifle? Brilliant

What would you do with 55 gal. of cosmo contaminated gasoline anyway? I sure as Hell wouldn't run that through my car engine
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:47:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I soaked all the small parts (trigger group, mag assembly, BCG, etc. in kerosene (about a quart, not 55 gal ) and wrapped the stock and barreled action (separately) in old towels and left them on the dash of my car in the Summer sun. It got to over 120f inside the car. After a couple weeks of this practice, what was left wasn't causing any problems with function.

Still, on a warm day, after a couple hundred rounds, I can still smell a little cosmo weeping out or burning off.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top