Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 8:52:03 AM EDT
Hey, I've had a vepr for about two years and it has been great except for one  problem. One day I noticed that the muzzlebreak was loosening up because the allen screws were walking out. No big deal, i tightened them up and kept shooting. Then i notice that two of them have dropped out and are lost. I contacted robinson about sending me replacements, they promised to but nothing ever came (this was several months ago). Well, I kept tightening that one screw up and shooting, seemed to be working.

Then last week i go out and notice the break is really loose so I decide to just take it off. Well, I can't get it off because all the movement of the loose screws has dug some furrows in the metal of the muzzle and left little ridges that prevent the muzzle break from comming off. So basically im left with a very loose muzzle break that I can't get off. I was thinging of maybe using a dremel to try to file down the ridges so i can get the break off, then working on the muzzle some more to get it real smooth, then putting the break back on and lock-tite'ing the screws in really tight. Does this sound like it would work? Any idea of exactly what screws to get because robinson seems rather useless on this issue? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I might just chuck the break and repaint the muzzle or something. I live in MASS a lot and it will have to be AWB compliant. As I understand it that means I can thread the barrel but only if I pin the break on after I install it (I could be wrong). I'm not sure its really worth the effort.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the same thing happen to me...

Its still relatively tight with one screw.  MidwayUsa offers gun fastener kits, I was wondering of one of those would have a screw that would fit.  I have yet to get around and buy it however.

One example

The only other option I could think of, was to go into a hardware store with a massive bolt bin and find something that would work.  If you do find anything, I'd love to know what it is.  I don't have to worry about an AWB, but until I find a neat flash hider to replace it with, I would like to get some screws to put back in it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the little screws are called "grub screws" so I think I may bring my remaining one to homedepot and see if they have something similar. I just hope i can get the fucking break off.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy one of these.   Measure the thread pitch.  Go here to buy a set screw.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Hello.
Don't but bolts from Home depot or laws - they are not even close to being as good as real RobArm bolts are.

I has the same problem only with new muzzle brake, which I purchased from RobArm.
I also had the same problem when RobArm didn't ship out things when promised.

Here is what I did:
I called RobArm every few days to ask if they shipped it, and always tried to talk to the same person, finally they shipped it, after 2nd conversation with the same guy (3rd or 4th phone call to the company).

When you get the original bolts, make sure you have indentation on the barrel under each bolt. Put alot of epoxy between the muzzle brake/barrel/bolts. Tighten them as hard as you can. Make sure that muzzle brake sits even on all the sides.

This step is up to you, but will surely help it sight and not move.
Take a screw driver or simuler tool and a hammer. And carefully put the screw driver on the head of each bolt and hit it with the hammer, it will leave a deep mark. This mark/imprint from the bolt head will flow in to the muzzle brake and prevent the bolt from unscrewing.

Goodluck.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:34:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Usualy there is an industrial supply store in any larger town. I would take the screw you have left and go in to the industrial supply store and try to get one the same size but with a torx head and maybe even buy a few extra. The industrial supply store usualy have the higher quality fastners. If there is a fastnel store in your area try them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I would do as genghis suggested, but use some loctite.....And put em in good and tight....If you epoxy them and ever want to get em off your screwed....with loctite you can just heat them and they will come out......Make sure you get an allen or torx head though....
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top