Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2003 8:43:49 PM EDT
I just got a used VEPR K in .223 with 6 magazines and a 4 Mag pouch for $499. Since I can find no evidence it has ever been fired I think I got quite a deal.

When I picked it up for the first time it felt solid on my shoulder, unlike a Romanian SAR-1 I compared it with, so I had to have it. The quality of the finish, lettering, stock, etc., is first class and has me thinking of the Valmets of lore, which skyrocketed in price before I got interested in them. I think it is going to be a lot of fun to have around.

The magazines are an interesting topic and I will give my impressions, but as I am new to AK type magazines, they are just my impressions and can't be taken as gospel. The included magazines appear to be standard orange plastic AK-74 magazines with 3 alterations. First, the follower is replaced with a unit for 5.56 caliber. Second, just forward of the feed lips a small amount of plastic has been removed along the inside edges. It is barely noticeable and probably just makes a little more room for the American/Nato round. Third, the magazines are painted with a crinkle type black paint.

I tried inserting an SAR-3 magazine, but the forward edge of the magazine is too wide to fit into the receiver. The same goes for Galil steel and Orlite magazines. The Orlite could possibly be ground down enough in front to fit, but I'm afraid it would be structurally weakened too much in the process.

Somewhere in the past I picked up a steel .223 magazine that says, "Made in China" on the floorplate. The front is narrower than the others and fit right in. The back has a bit to much metal to fully insert, but it is excess metal that I think can be ground away with no ill effect. If this works, and feeds reliably, I will have a steel magazine for the VEPR!

The only negatives are in the choice of barrel. It is way too heavy, making it slow to swing into position, and adding too much weight to a gun of this caliber. The rate of twist is also a disappointing 1-9 instead of the magic 1-7. With a 16.5" barrel I would prefer 77grains for defensive shooting, but rare is the 1-9 barrel that will stabilize such bullets. Therefore it will remain a close range 150 meter rifle unless new bullet technology steps up to plate.

It would also have been extremely easy for the factory to add a Galil type thumb safety on the left. I hope they start doing this in the future. Doing so, and adding a Galil type rear sight would make this an equal, if not superior arm to the Galil (In my opinion of course).

I am so impressed with this rifle I will be looking for one in 7.62x39 at upcoming gunshows.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Glad you like it; it is on my list for the 5.56 addition to my AKs. The steel Chinese mag is probably better off sold to a chicom 5.56 AK owner rather than ground to suit. You can go to robarm for more 5.56 followers at $6 each to make more mags from either the orange bakelights or hunt down some black Bulgy poly 5.45 mags and file to suit.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 10:06:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had a bit of a problem with rear sight blur causing accuracy problems. Does anyone have an easy way to install a Galil type rear peep sight on a VEPR?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:03:23 AM EDT
[#3]
visit Mark Kreb's site, he something like that I believe
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#4]

This is from Krebs' site.  Here's the link:
www.krebscustom.com/KalashnikovRifles.html
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a "K" in 7.62x39mm and I like it the best of the 5 AK varients I have. It seems very well make and I can hit amilk jug at 150 with out much effort. I would like to lighten the stock though....
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Magazine Update:

I just received some 5.56 Bulgarian Waffles.  They fit perfectly. Haven't shot them yet, but I expect no problems. I like them better than the converted AK74 mags.

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top