Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2003 8:53:33 PM EDT
Is this the right forum to discuss the Saiga Shotguns?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Either here or forum.saiga-12.com.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, it uses an "AK" action....

What you want to discuss 'bout them?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I chose the Saiga because it was the only shotgun I could find that is both semi-automatic and has a detachable magazine.  Lacking either one seems so inconvenient and outdated.

I spent a while looking for Saiga-12's in my area, both at dealers and at shows.  I didn't want to buy one until I had an opportunity to check one out "in person."  When I finally saw one, I "hadda have it." So I have a Saiga-12 with a permanent full choke barrel.  

This is my first shotgun.  The one area I failed to learn about , during my research, was chokes.    If I understand correctly, a full choke means I cannot fire slugs or other full diameter ammunition.  (I would prefer to have an either an adjustable or replaceable choke to allow for optimum use of all types of 12-gauge ammo that the Saiga-12 can accept.)

If the above is correct, what can I do to replace the full choke barrel?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Actaully, an 1187 Remington is not bad.  You can use the speed loading tubes on it.  And I think putting a tube extenstion is still legal.

I have a full choke Saiga and I shoot slugs out of it... so far so good (fingers crossed)... not that many mind you.

Well, the "easiest" way to get the choke tube option is to trade your current gun in and get one w/ it.  I'm not sure of the cost to replace the barrel, but probably not worth it.  Just get the Saiga 12 that uses choke tubes.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, it's nice to know that someone has shot slugs from a full choke barrel.  I wasn't sure if it would blow up or what.

Actually, I'm planning to get into trap/skeet shooting.  Is the Saiga generally acceptable for that sort of competition?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I've only shot about 10 slugs and that was to see what it could do on paper.  Mind you, it was only at 25 yards.  All five slugs were on center of mass on the B27 target.  It had a nice grouping.  It shot the 00 buck nicely too.

I don't compete in clay/skeet, so I don't know if it would be accepted. You might get funny looks if you plan to shoot compatition with it.  If it's just w/ a group of friends, let them complain.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#7]
ive shot slugs through my saiga12 as well

i suggest you guys DONT DO IT.
those that have, look inside the muzzle (use a light) and you will see where the slug makes contact with the choke, stops, conforms and contricts to the choke size (implodes?) and gets spit out.
i guess you all used 1oz soft lead slugs with a hollow base, if you were to use a solid hard lead style slug like a brenneke or sabot slug you could (in theory) do some damage to your gun.

ive thought about reloading some 16 or 20 ga slugs for use in the saiga. the diameter of the 12ga slug is larger than the full choke.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#8]
if you only loaded 1 or 2 rounds into it at a time, depending on trap or skeet it might be ok. Most trap and skeet shooters use single or double barrel shotguns, but I have seen at least two pump actions, one was a .410, that were used in a trap league with multiple clubs in the league, so it was more than just a group of friends
if they allow a pump action to be used when only loaded with 2 shells at a time they would probably allow a semi-auto, but I'd find out before showing up just in case
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I won't be able to go shooting at my local club until next week probably.  The range has been closed since the beginning of July due to the Inventing Flight celebrations here in Dayton.  It's not some draconian measure - it's just that the range is on Huffman Prairie, where the Wright brothers learned to fly (more than just a straightline takeoff and landing), so we can't  really be shooting over the heads of all the tourists. :)
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I won't be able to go shooting at my local club until next week probably.  The range has been closed since the beginning of July due to the Inventing Flight celebrations here in Dayton.  It's not some draconian measure - it's just that the range is on Huffman Prairie, where the Wright brothers learned to fly (more than just a straightline takeoff and landing), so we can't  really be shooting over the heads of all the tourists. :)

I forgot that it was 100 years since 'man' flew...
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top