Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2014 10:09:41 PM EDT
Factory Vepr 308 mags are expensive, aftermarket mags are now available from 3 vendors. However, it is always fun to Built-It-Yourself!  If you compare Vepr 308 mag to M14 mag, they have similar outside dimensions. some M14 mags will fit into the Vepr mag opening, but some would interfere at the front but rear is OK. Promag makes Vepr 308 mags from M14 mag body and some users say by squeezing the front in a vise, it works OK. According to Promag Tech Service Department, their Vepr 308 mag is identical to their Galil 308 mag except packaging. Galil 308 mag is known modified from M14 mag! So, it sounds promising to make my own Vepr 308 mags from M14 mags that I have many!
Step 1- Remove mag internal parts. Check the mag width at the front. If too wide, squeeze a bit in a vise! Don't over do it.
Step 2- Making front locking tab. I made it from steel flat. Ideally 3/16"Hx1/2"W would be perfect. I go cheap and use a piece of wire fence tie brace that I have, grind to the shape.
Step 3- Silver solder the front locking tab to the mag body. The locking point should be at the lower edge of the square window.
Step 4- The front of the mag needs to be above the floor about 1/8" when locked in, to point the bullet tip to the chamber. To do that the mag front end and also the 2 front tabs of the M14 mag need to be grind down about 1/8". Don't over do it and leave some room for adjustment since this height determine how far the rear can rotate in, it has to match the rear tab locking notch for a tight fit.
Step 5- Modify the M14 rear tab to make a locking tab. Remove about 3/32" of the metal from the bottom to form a notch, make a tab and grind down the metal above the tab, otherwise the mag would hang up.
Step 6-Chamfer the rear top corner by about 1/8"; otherwise the edge would catch the mag opening and also interfere with the cross pin inside.
Test fit and adjust and you have a Vepr metal mag with bolt hold open!
In the picture below, top one is M14 mag, middle is a modified mag, bottom one is factory Vepr mag.

Next picture shows making the front locking tab from a steel flat, compare to the tab on another mag already made, before cutting it off.

Last picture shows the modified M14 mag on my Vepr. The handguard is a modified Saga handguard and muzzle brake is a modified Tapco AK brake. Tapco folding stock.

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Not something I'll ever do, but good info nonetheless.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:58:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Back in the early 2000's, Robinson Arms used to have Krebs convert their VEPR 308 to accept unmodified M14 mags.

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top