Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 8:14:19 AM EDT
When I cock the gun verrrrrrrrrrry slowly, the round ends up getting caught inbetween the bolt and just below the barrel.  When I cock it normally, the round ends up making it into the barrel just fine.  The problem is that every bullet I load ends up being deformed when it enters the barrel.  It only puts a small dent in FMJ and HP bullets, but when I use a soft point it completely morphs the front of the bullet.  This causes my bullets to yaw significantly during flight and naturally greatly effects accuracy.  Anyone else have this problem?  Anyone have any solutions?

The only solutions I can think of would be to machine the bottom of the barrel to act as a ramp, but that just scares me.  Or to add a ramp inbetween the front of the mag well and the bottom of the barrel, but I'm not real sure what I could put in there that will stay put.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I had that problem with hollowpoints, the only solution I came up with is to modify the mags slightly to bent the front feed lips out and cause the next round on top to have a slight upward tilt to it...problem solved as far as feeding goes...deforming the tip of the bullet causing trajectory problems....I'm not sure I could say my fix solved that problem...adding a Kobra sight to the gun made it incridibly more accurate, as I can't use those commie, Iron sights worth a crap...good-Luck.

PS: don't do anything to the barrell as it will damage it permanantly, and it probably would cause the shell casing to deform. Bad Karma.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]
What caliber WASR ??? Model Number ??? My WASR-3 had that problem because the mag catch was filed down too much.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What caliber WASR ??? Model Number ??? My WASR-3 had that problem because the mag catch was filed down too much.

How did you diagnose it, and what did you do to fix it?

John W in SC
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#4]
7.62x39 WASR-10.

Messing with the barrel is completely out of the question unless I get a gunsmith to do it.  I'd like to avoid modifying anything that is permanent, so I'd really like to get something to place inside of it... I just can't think of what would do the job.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:30:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a friend's WASR-10 that did the same thing, but his wouldn't feed HPs. Upon closer examination, I found that, instead of filing the top of the mag catch, they (whoever 'they' is) had bent the back of the magwell, the part just above the mag catch, inward. This was causing the magazine to present rounds too low in relation to the breach.

I fixed the problem by bending the receiver back to where it should have been with a long steel rod and hammer and then removing material from the top of the mag catch with a dremel and file.

You might have a look at your WASR to see if something similar is going on. It sounds exactly like the problem my friend's WASR had.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I have also read that a bent in receiver will cause this problem. I diagnosed my problem by slowly releasing the bolt handle and seeing the bolt ride over the bullet. The result was a misfeed or a badly banged up bullet. I just returned my WASR-3 to AIM for a new one. Pulling back on the mag while shooting it also helps determine if this is a problem.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't see any of those problems to it.  Nothing looks bent or filed down.  I guess I should consider bending something if I want to fix this problem.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top