Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 4:51:11 AM EDT
I am in the hunt for an AK...

At the last show I saw the usual WASRs for about $330-360 with all the trimmings.  I also saw a guy with a couple of SARs for $400.  Which to get?

Here are some specifics:

-  I read elsewhere on this site that one guy had a WASR that shot as accurately as his Paratrooper SKS (Norinco).  My Para shoots VERY well  is this really the case with WASRs?  I heard they were not that accuate.

- Is the finish really parkerization?  If so, I assume that I could spray and bake on Gun Kote?  OR - does cold blue over the parkerization darken it up nice enough?  pics anyone?

- What about mag fit?  Are WASRs that much looser because of no dimples?  (My Hungarian SA 85 has mag wobble too...)

- Anyone own BOTH a WASR and SAR and have a comparison?  I do like the dimple, but if the fit, finish, function, and accuracy are equal, why not pay less and get the goodies?

Or is it REALLY worth the extra $200 and blow it on a Vektor Arms AK?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:02:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Although WASRs are nice, cheap starter AKs, if you have the money get either the SAR-1 or the Vektor.        
 I had an SAR-1 and loved it.  The only reason I don't miss it is because I have built several AKs that are at least on par with the SAR.  My next AK will probably be either a Vektor or an Arsenal.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:21:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I just have to be convinced that the materials and the mechanics of the SAR are better than the WASR.

Also...

- can you make sure of the front and rear sight alignment easily by the naked eye?  The WASRs I saw seemed fine.  The SAR seemed a little less 'true'.  (I hear there are cant problems with Romanians and MAADIs).

- Anything else to look for?

- I have read elsewhere on this forum of Romanian receivers and barrels not holding up in military use, etc.  Anyone KNOW about this?  Anyone shoot about 5000-1000 rounds in their WASR or SAR and know the deal?

- Durabililty and function matter -so if there is no difference in this between say a WASR, SAR or Vector, $200 is a bunch of ammo!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:30:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually the SAR series of rifles are about the closest thing we've seen in this country in awhile that is close to a Mil spec AK...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:11:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Well dude, it seems that you are already set on getting your WASR, so why did you even ask about the SAR?   Like has been said 1,000 times before, the SAR is about as close to military issue as you are going to get in this country.  Your WASR came into this country as a single stack configured rifle and was "converted" by some questionable craftsmen, while the SAR came into this country made for hi cap mags.  Oh yeah, your WASR doesn't have dimples either.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't made up my mind on a WASR at all.

I am just asking some questions.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#6]
BUY A WASR-2. the bullet is kool and does lots of damage and is more accurate than m43 ammo. Light rifle, light loads, accuracy is nice, low recoil, good hunting/battle rifle, bullet tumbles nice
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I would get an SAR first, but if you can find a good wasr then you should be good to go.  If you decide on a wasr make sure you check the gas tube and front sight to make sure they are straight.  You might want to check the mag well and how mags fit.  It's worth the minute or so it takes to check it over.  I really like my wasr, no complaints except the stocks need some refinsh work.  I liked it at first but I want to refinish it now.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one of each. Both are great rifles. My Sar1 has easily 6k+ rounds though it with no problems.
I picked the Wasr10 up used and rusty real real cheap. I had to open up the magwell a little bit to get it to take drum mags but it has been a nice gun.

Never heard anything about Romanian rifles not holding up to military use.

If I were you, starting out, I would get the Wasr with all the trimmings. Saves you alot of work being it's already threaded and has the bayo lug. Use the money you save to buy mags and ammo.

Here's my Wasr10.

And my Sar1.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks.  Nice guns.  I have plenty of mags - I think 16 - mostly EGs.  I have a Hungarian SA 85, which I need to convert also.  Can you just Gun Kote over the parkerization on a WASR/SAR and bake?  This would really be easy for me to do if the parkerization is half decent.

I'm not sold ONE way yet, but it seems that with the SAR, you get better mag fit out of the box, and dimples.  With the WASR, you get goodies, bayonet lug, threaded muzzle, and maybe a TAPCO trigger group.  I know you must check cant on BOTH versions.  The WASR I held last month had minimum mag wobble (not much diff from my SA85), but not quite as tight as the SAR.  But, it had a better trigger and not bad at that.

I know you can thread a muzzle, but this seems to be a hassle...  Just would love that they imported dimples again...

(I'll buy a WASR, then they'll reimport SARs with US parts, all militaried out with lugs, muzzles, etc. etc....)

BTW - all the new WASRs at t shows are GP WASRs right???
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I love my WASR, a SAR is a more authentic AKM but they both get the job done. If you want to save money  bit and just want a good rifle get a WASR. Really the way I see it comparing AKs is a little like comparing Rolexs.  Most post ban WASRs are made from unissued Romanian AKMs, you can tell the year by the last two numbers on the serial number. Mine is from 78. All wasrs being sold are not post/pre ban per se, just shine a light through the action and look down the barrel for threading to make sure it's post ban. Of course you'll want a flash hider or muzzle break as well and bayonet lug. (All features the expiration of the ban allow).
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Steel mags wobble in both of my guns. Only mags that dont are the Bulgy Waffles and Polish polymers. I prefer the steel ones, just seem less bulky to me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had a SAR-1 for quite some time now and I love it.......

I've shot the WASR and for some reason or another it just didn't seem as reliable for some reason or another.....I guess it just seemed that it was really cheaply built.......
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Texas 1138 - does you WASR jam?  FTF?  FTE?  

First I have heard of a Romanian with reliablilty problems...

Also - how is it that WASRs are made from AKM recivers?  I thought that those all had dimples?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#14]
AKM- I won't even try to butcher what AK stands for but I believe them M stands for moderna. AKM basically means stamped receiver.

AK47 = milled receiver.              

As far as finish, I had Krebs Custom refinish my Sar1. I could be wrong but doubt they stripped it of all blueing before doing so. I think as long as you degrease everything you ought to be able to refinish nicely. Krebs is located about 30 to 45 minutes from me so it wasn't a big deal. Also had them thread the muzzle.

The finish on my Sar1 looked like they kicked it accross a gravel floor to the shipping department.Average around here to refinish a gun at a smith is $50 to $75. Immagine you ought to be able to clean it up pretty easily yourself.

I have some parkerized gun- - FAL, 2 1911's and used to have a Vector Uzi that are / were parkerized. Sar's / Wasr's have more of a blueing on them than a parkerizing. Both finishes Parkerizing and whatever's on the SAR/WASR look better with a little oil on them. I find that true parkerizing soaks up oil.

Are there nicer AK's out there? Yes.
Are they better? No.

I like those Vepr's, I really like what Krebs does to them and hope some day to own one. Right now they are just too rich for me. I believe the Romanians, right now, are the standard that all AK's are judged by. Other brands may look nicer, have better fit and finish, higher cost, but will they work better?

No.

Will they shoot better groups?

Some here and there might. Some here and there might not. I know of no AK company that garantees accuracy. Different weapons platform, but DSA, doesn't even garantee accuracy.

I think the Romanians offer a good buy for little money.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top