Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2005 5:14:39 PM EDT
      I just got a WASR-10 for 300$OTD. I really like it, and I was wondering if there was any way to "pretty" it up because the finish on the wood and the blue was kinda scratched. Its not metal deep. Is there any bluing stuff I should try. also, what should I do with the furniture? Is there any place with cheap plastic furniture? Thanks a million.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I took a few ideas from the linx310 website when I got my WASR. I polished the bolt carrier and refinished the wood. Nothing to the metal finish however.

Click to enlarge

The wood finish was easy. I took the lazy mans route. Sand the old finish off, stain with Minwax Walnut, spray about 12 coats of Minwax Polyurethane. Check out the "Refinished Romanian Stocks" thread here for great information about the many ways to refinish..
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I got two GPWASRs and neither has a paint over park finish, they are blued, it's a dull blue because the maetal isn't polished very highly but it's still bluing. Actually the others I handled aren't painted either, is this a new thing they are doing?
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#4]
On my stock I just sanded it a bit with some medium and fine grit sandpaper, put a couple coats of a rosewood stain and then 4 coats of tung oil.  Looks ok.  Obviously I was lazy and didn't get the stock totally smooth before finishing, but it's not as if it's a fine showpiece.  It's a shooter and function over form.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#5]
try hitting it with some CLP, it worked wonders on mine.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I removed the furniture off of mine (The wood) lightly sanded it and applied a coat of boiled linseed oil (I intend to srip off the oil finish and stain it this winter).  I used 000 steel wool to polish  the metal, degreased it and applied some cold blue.  Rinsed it off polished again with the steel wool, repeated the process and coated it with CLP.  Put the furniture back on and it looks much better.  Still not real pretty but I like the way it shoots and functions!!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I got my red headed step child(wasr 10) at the gun show today for pretty cheap.  I think it looks pretty good.  I just checked before they  put serial #'s down to see if the sights were straight and the mag fit and the general fit and finish.  There were a few there that were pretty crooked. They actually had some already set up with the Tapco folding stocks.  They look pretty cool but are kinda junky.  I figure if it's not sturdy enough for military I don't want it. Especially after reading on here about a tapco stock breaking after the charging handle hit it.  I'll definitely refinish the stock at some point.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I love mine. The sights are somehat of a pain to use but the gun shoots well and is a blast to use. The furniture is not the best and can definately be improved but the AK is not meant to look pretty. It is a very basic combat weapon that will endure much abuse and shoot anything you put in it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#9]
On the metal, you may want to try Oxpho-Blue from Brownells.  It can be applied right over the existing finish and will darken up  really well.  I've refinished all of my AK's in Norrell's Molyresin.  It takes an air brush to apply and requires baking to cure.  The Romanian wood can finish up really nice.  Here's my SAR-1 that looked like crap when I bought it:

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I refinished mine in Alumihyde 2 from brownells and am very happy with it. You must let it set for two weeks before reassemblingthough since it is not a bake on finsh. It will dry to the touch before two weeks of course but it will not harden all the way and is easy to scratch until it cures. They have it in several colors.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#11]
THey are blued not painted..

This one was blued by AKUSA.....

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:36:23 AM EDT
[#12]
For you folks who "painted" your AK and baked or waited - did you blast off the old finish OR apply OVER the existing finish?  Also, how durable is your finish.

I know that with Gun Kote, you can apply over parkerization, but probably not over paint, and definitely not over blue.  I just would not want to get a nice paint job that would just rubb off.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought a SAR2 off a guy who painted it and baked the finish on. It is flaking off and has some "fish eye" blemishes... I am gonna have AKUSA strip it and blue it like it should be. I do not consider paint a viable finish option and detracts from the gun's originality
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Duracoat is wonderful stuff.  I've never applied it, but have it on an SAR-2 and couldn't be happier.  The safety doesn't even take the finish off!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Put some plastic on there if you don't like the wood or don't want to refinish.
www.k-var.com

Krebs Custom sells a nice peep sight to replace that tinny rear sight.
www.krebscustom.com

Or get yourself a Kobra Red Dot from:
www. freedomoptics.com

I had Krebs refinish my SAR1 and and left my WASR10 as is for finish.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Got my first AR, GPWASR 10. sling, bayonet lug, bayonet, sling, mag pouchs, 2:30 round mags. Flash Hider.

The laminated furniture is rock solid,  but seems like no oil on it, like it matters on laminate.
Metal looks ok.

Would plain old MINWAX stain darken it up a bit? or should I sand it & use a liguid poly stain?

hinking.gif
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top