Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2003 4:30:28 PM EDT
just bought a real nice used sar-3 for 289.00 with 1 bakelight and a strap...looks new..but did i make the right choice..picked from 2 sar 1"s  1 laminate other reg.and a egypt maddi.the sar 3 was used so marked down...the others started at 330.00 and up...just thought it good deal since i hardly ever see them..cant wait to shoot it...i have a ar-15 so ammo interchanges...pro or cons...isnt 223 legal for deer in arkansas.mike out..
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Good gun/price. Interordnance has the best deal on SAR3 mags right now, 4 for $60 for the Weiger steel 223 mag makes them no more expensive than a bakelight mag and the 223 follower. Check the hammer for signs of denting at the bolt/firing pin impact point. SAR trigger groups are cheap US compliance parts, all vary some. Romys do not make a 223 bbl, so they put a nice Bulgy bbl in their receiver, which sits a bit differently and the Century hts is not the perfect geometry so it tends to whack the bolt at an angle. Not good for longevity. Red Star Arms makes a SAR3 specific hammer for $30, and their whole hts set is worth the $80 IMO.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 11:34:04 PM EDT
[#2]
 GOOD BUY GOOD BUY GOOD BUY

I got a SAR3 awhile back, and love it to death. Understand too that I was 7.62 all the way and made it a point to make fun of my buddies with pip squeak caliber Aks. Well guess who is eating crow now!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely positively absolutely get Wieger mags to run in that rifle, you will not regret it when you can run and run with no failures.

Cheaper than a Galil, and all the best features, can't beat it!!

Chuck
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#3]
appreciate it im a happy man...gonna hunt up inter ordnance now.....mike out..
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#4]
also my hammer is not dented...its a 2000 model...i sold a mac 90 all fixed up...missed it ....dont miss it anymore....mike
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I also got mine for the ammo interchange with my AR and I'm a happy camper about it.

When you go to interordenance the sar3 mags are listed as "sarpset" They come in a mag pouch with a cleaning kit and spare sling.
Just installed the RSA trigger group and hammer assembly in my sar3 a couple of weeks ago, all I got to say is it's worth it,IMO. You can adjust it just about any way you like - single stage - double stage - light pull, heavy pull. you set it to what works for you.
Lake city xm193: groups 1.5" @ 50 yards for me from a bench rest. Muzzleflash? Flamethrower!
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 3:11:46 PM EDT
[#6]
howdy all.....that sounds awesome i like them flamethrowers...got me 2 weigers today for 25.00 one a 30 and a 10 round...gonna go to my stand and try and thump me a coyote this halloween night...mike out.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a good deal to me. I'd definitely replace the hammer with a Red Star hammer just to be sure. $30 is well worth it for the peace of mind. You might want to monitor your brass as you shoot this gun. Mine has had a few case head separations using Winchester value pack .223 ammo. The headspace on these rifles is usually a little tight. The Winchester value pack brass is pretty crappy, and I have never had a separation using any other ammo. I love my SAR-3, and at this point I shoot it better than my RRA AR-15! Maybe I need more practice with the AR? The SAR-3 is definitely one of the more accurate AKs, as you will find out soon enough!
Enjoy!
B9
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Case head seperations are indicitive of long headspace, not tight headspace.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Case head seperations are indicitive of long headspace, not tight headspace.

Not necessarily true. This gun's bolt does not close on a field gauge. This means it is likely too short on headspacing. Several owners have found that short headspacingis common on these SAR-3s. Check this out for more user reports:

www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=123725&highlight=headspacing
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 7:07:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds good for a Sar3. I got rid of mine because I like my 5.56's to be ar15's and my AK's to be 7.62 . I still have some Weiger mags if anyone needs any.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Do any dealers still have SAR 3s for sale?
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#12]
hey borecua is that a ace stock...me likey..likey.. what about handguards.. i want that look.....thanks..also buddy lee theres sar 2 and 3"s on gunbroker...for 329.00 or 349.00  dont remember 1st ive seen in weeks though...mike out.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
hey borecua is that a ace stock...me likey..likey.. what about handguards.. i want that look.....thanks..also buddy lee theres sar 2 and 3"s on gunbroker...for 329.00 or 349.00  dont remember 1st ive seen in weeks though...mike out.

The stock is a fixed Krinkov stock from RPB USA made by FSE. www.rpbusa.com The handguards are (looks around) the standard handguards sanded down and then re-finished in truck bed liner from Wally World. ~$7.00 per can.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#14]
thanks for the info....man this sar is a shooter...i love it...mike.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#15]
 Your rifles bolt SHOULD NOT CLOSE on a field gauge at any time!!!

The true name of the field gauge is FIELD REJECT GAUGE, at no time should you fire a rifle that will chamber a field gauge. Because your rifles bolt will not close on a field gauge DOES NOT mean that it has short headspace.
When your bolt fails to close on the GO gauge, then you have a short headspace condition.

The above statement that a case seperation is indicative of long headspace is true, but also be advised that if the bolt does not close completely due to short headspace, the weapon is still capable of firing. This is more or less an out of battery discharge and can cause a case seperation also.

Headspace is normally set between GO and NO GO, the FIELD REJECT GAUGE was implemented to give depot level maintenance personnel an easy way to determine the servicability of a barrel.
In an issue weapon, the headspace is set at the manufacturer, once it goes in for maintenance the field gauge gives them a quick idea of the weapons suitability for reissue. If it takes the field gauge, it is done, finished, over. Unless of course it is a time of war and weapons are in short supply and the commies are in the wire and every weapon is needed like right now!

Chuck
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 6:39:32 AM EDT
[#16]
clean,

you are correct and thanks for clarifying the use of the gauges.  i just saw this post and was about to chime in.  anway, those pics in the above link (a good thread to read) to the aknutz board were of my sar3 failure and i attributed mine to new rifle/ rough chamber/ hot ammo(q3131a)/ bulgy mag feed/ abuse.  the two sar3's i have only close on the GO and they both function flawlewssly with the wieger mags. i also used a little jb bore paste to carefully polish up chambers in each.

btw, broke32, good find on the sar3 and get those wiegers four packs from interordnance and rsa trigger group.  as for deer, i got a doe in east texas last december with my sar3 using win 64gr power points.  front chest shot and ran 15 yds.  with any gun, its about shot placement.  this year, i'm hunting w/ a converted saiga308.

good luck!
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Were all the case head seperations while bumpfiring?
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top