Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2003 9:15:48 PM EDT
FAC and Tapco are selling romanian ak side folder stocks.if i get one how do i make it stay in the fixed position without welding it? or do i just wait to see if the awb goes away in 04.then put it on. thanks
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I think they are ugly looking and I would never put one on my SAR1.  If anything, i'd get a nice Kvar krinkov style buttstock for mine.  If you don't want to weld it in the open position, try using some of that "liquid metal", see if it works and let us know.

Link Posted: 10/27/2003 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I was looking at converting my new SAR-2 to an AKS-74 paratrooper and saw the Kinkov side folder at K-Var.  Will that fit the Romanian SAR-2?

Thanks -  Shon
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Dont do it dont do it dont do it!
The government states that welding is the only acceptable way to make those side folders legal. Pinning and bolting wont work because they are considered 'temporary'.

TEMPORARY=FELONY

They WANT you to mangle the thing.
Solve the problem and buy two. Mount the welded on and wait for the law to sunset. And if it does/or doesn't you still own a commodity that you can sell later.
As far as side folders go I like the Galil para style the best. Can't remember who has em though....maybe ACE.
That Romy sidefolder is a piece of crap. I have seen several, and the quality is freakin horrid!
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:38:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Whoa! Thanks for the heads up!  I didn't know that liquid metal was considered "temporary".

Definately "pinning & bolting" is a No No...

Well you either wait or like the man says, buy 2 of them...  

Link Posted: 10/28/2003 5:55:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Got a web address for ACE?
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey, it bolts on for couch commando missions with the tv, and comes right off for going outside with. So no biggie there. But a longer screw in the rear hole will not allow it to function, it binds on something, so it appears fixed to the untrained eye.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I ordered one of the Romanian side-folders from Tapco. It looks brand new. Fit and function are great. The finish is the typical warsaw pact painted on finish.

I don't know about all of them, but the one I got is in great shape. I think SOG or FAC was selling an SAR1 with the folding stock fixed in the extended position. But I haven's seen the stock by itself.

The triangular "krink" style fixed stock is available from rpbusa - www.rpbusa.net/magazines.html
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#8]
 Special weapons sells their MP5 clones with the side folders fixed in the open position with a mere set screw and a sleeve.
 Does any one have a letter that clearly states that the stock has to be welded to be considered fixed?

Chuck
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#9]
 Didn't think so.

The BATFE stance on folding stocks being considered fixed is that the stock CAN NOT BE READILY CONVERTIBLE. There is nothing that says that the only acceptable way to do this is to weld the stock.

Explain that an AR collapsible stock can be fixed in the open position with epoxy and be considered fixed, when it is not welded!!

Keep on believing what you want, you just have more work to do to make it fold again thats all.

Chuck
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:50:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Found the triangular "krink" style designed specifically for the stamped AK (SAR1-3) at the site you suggested.  I looked at the one from K-Var and it would require machining.  Don't really want to do that unless I had a second AK-74.  I can handle welded for now since they will probably make them folders if (and when) the AWB sunsets.  I can deal with welded for now.  Thanks for the info.

-- Shon
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:26:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Funny thing is that plenty of side folders have been sold for SKS's that were pinned open and come with an additional way to turn them back to foldable if the law changes.

Tapco sold theirs with mounting screws which are identicle in brand to metric screws sold at Ace hardware.  I picked up some the other day and as rak1004 stated, the longer screw will make the Romanian folder into a fixed stock.  I have two, one welded one not and they aren't all that bad for the price.  I think the fix triangular krink type would be better though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 7:55:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's a SAR2 with the fixed "krink" style stock on it. This stock came from rpbusa.

Link Posted: 11/2/2003 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#13]
thanks for all the input. i love your sar in the photo it is sweet.~R
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Here's a SAR2 with the fixed "krink" style stock on it. This stock came from rpbusa.

www.coloradoshooting.org/usmc03%20sar2.jpg

This is EXACTLY what I want to do, convert my SAR-2 into an AKS-74 - including add a Kobra/light.  It is going to be my new home defence weapon.  How much weight did the stock add to the rifle, if any?  And how did you attach the 74 brake to your rifle?

Thanks - Shon
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#15]
The weight is of no consequence. You won't notice the difference.

The brake installation is easy on a SAR2. You replace the front sight tower with the Romanian threaded front sight base. Then you just screw the brake on.

On the SAR2 the BATFE has ruled that the front sight base is okay, the barrel is not threaded the sight base is. And you do not have to weld the brake on.

There is a copy of the ATF letter around this board somewhere I'm sure. The front sight base and brake are readily available. Try Global Trades or K-Var.

Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Got to agree that the Roumanian Side folders are of Low quality. I have a POlish side  folder on my Pre ban Maadi and it is vastly superior to the Roumanian side folder.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's my MkII with RPB non-folder:

If/when the AWB goes away, I'll probably send it out to Inrange or ORF and have a real AKS-type folder put on (receiver machined, trunion installed, the whole bit). I vastly prefer this design to the authentic Romanian folder.

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top