Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/13/2003 7:10:48 AM EDT
Oh I know everyone loves to rave about the RSA fire control group. After messing with it last night I have a few questions. First off, did anyone need to cut the receiver trigger window to make them work? I read that in the instructions and you can forget it, engineer it better, I'm not cutting holes in the receiver. Also, I did a very nice gun kote refinish on my receiver now destroyed by the completely unnecessarily tight safety selector. tore the finish right off, thanks RSA. I wanted to buy the FSE FCG and didn't because I fell victim to the hype. Sad that the Century stuff drops right in and doesn't destroy your rifle. Any tips on making this obnoxiously over engineered thing work would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I have found that on several of my AKs, I really had to play with the trigger to get it to go into the trigger hole properly.  One rifle (I think my MAK 90 was a real PITA).

All of my rifles have also had to have slight filing work done on the safety as well.  Each type of rifle had to have a different type of filing done.  Your reciever can not be destroyed by an overly tight safety.  It very likely has put a bad scratch in the finish, but that would happen in time anyway.

Look at the safety some more, it just need a little filing to make it fit right. It doesn't take much of a mechanical eye to see what you will need to do.

The RSA trigger is the same as all other trigger groups, it is just made to higher standards, so most likely some of these problems would have happend any way.

You are putting a high tolerance part into a low tolerance weapon, it usually requires a little playing with it the first time around.  After that you will be a pro.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#2]
This is a SAR. Think I have to cut the trigger window open wider? It really is a nice set but i am so sick a freakin tired of companies claiming that their parts "drop in" thats total utter BS!!!! Nothing is drop in. It is a nice set but I find it very unnecessary to have an adjustable AK trigger group plus one that is such a PITA to install. I see where I have to machine the safety and thats fine but it's too tight, i don't care what RSA says, it is too tight and the scratch is not your typical selector scratch it ripped half the finish off. So other than the safety selector, what else has to be machined? Anything on the receiver? I will say the FAL wanna be hammer and trigger plate is great. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Oh and RSA guys, please don't take offense to this, It gets frustrating though. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I have put the RSA trigger in 6 SAR rifles, a MAK-90, SA-93, and a Romak III.

Sometimes you just have to play with the trigger to get it in.  Try to fit it without the pin in place first, then try to duplicate it with the pin.  The first time is really frustrating, but it really is easy after you figure it out. (Sort of like Algebra)
The safety might need filing, but not machineing. I ahve never seen that particular problem.

Ken from RSA posts here in the Genral AK forum.  I will talk with Campy to have him get ahold of RSA to walk you through it, or move this thread to the AK GD so others can help you.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks so much Ken, it is really a nice trigger group. How do I know if the trigger window needs to be opened? Thanks again. Oh and the hammer/trigger plate is outstanding. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I am man enough to admit when I am wrong. I just got the RSA trigger group in and yes indeed, it was drop-in the mistake was mine. very, very nice. This could be the finest trigger pull I have ever pulled, seriously. Thank you ken for the advice and the great product. Now one question, why would I fire the rifle prior to replacing the safety as listed in the directions? That seems weird. Thanks much.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 5:58:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Nope, your instructions are fine i just "had a moment" so to speak. I have it set up nice now but am still playing with it. My newest bone head move was that i filed the safety down just a tad too far and now ended up with no safety. I got the welder out and safety is being fixed. i swear to god I am not a pro but I am above average working on guns and very mechanically inclined, I just have had the worst luck with this one. Well, it's all together now and is the best looking SAR around. Your trigger group is great ken and the instructions are fine. I am a big Falaholic, I hear you guys are designing FAL trigger groups, can't wait to see them. Thanks again.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top