Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2003 5:08:52 PM EDT
I'm looking into buying my first AK. I've heard good things about the romanian SAR-1 but are there any better rifles than that for about the same amount of money($250-$350).
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Just make sure the front sight isn't crooked and that the gas block is aligned properly. Also, if possible, check the scope rail to make sure it will mount a scope on right. I spent a lot of money to fix those features on my SAR-2.

Other than that, they shoot great, and 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 Russian ammo is dirt cheap.

Edited to add: The only thing better than the SAR-1 is the Saiga rifle for that price. The problem is that the Saiga does not have a pistol grip, and it does not accept high capacity magazines. You have to convert the rifle to do so.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#2]
R14 -- Please, please check out the SAR-1.  If you have the opportunity to look at one in person I believe you will be sold!  They are SWEET!  I bought two in a matter of 3 weeks.  I now have around ten magazines in 20 and 30 rounders.  Where abouts in Colorado are you?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in Colorado Springs, why do you ask?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 3:54:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the info guys.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Guy's, pls welcome a Romanian AK dummy.....LOL.
I looked at one of these, and was impressed.
Evidently a milled reciever, and some American parts, to get the pistol grip on it, w/out the thumbhole stock.
What, if anything is needed to make one a shooter.
I understand the B Square mount, will not work on these( for a scope, if wanted)..
So, what's the fix here, and how do you tell if the "gas block" is crooked??.
Thanks!!!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing compares for under $350,(except the Saiga like themao said) keep in mind however, what you are planning to do with it. If you want an affordable shooter and only plan to maybe refinish the wood and maybe do some trigger work then they are OUTSTANDING.

If you are the kind of person (like me) that will buy one and then want to buy a new stock. And then decide polishing the trigger isn't good enough and buy a Red Star Arms FCG. And then decide the finish isn't good enough and send it to AK USA and get it powdercoated or send it to Global Trades and get it re-parked, well then you've got 500 or 600 bucks in a $350 gun and for that price you could probably have done better with Bulgarian/Hungarian or a Vepr. Just be honest with yourself up front.

PS: Romy's are stamped, not milled.
And as far as scopes are concerned, the russian POSP scopes and Kobra red-dots are cheap, work good and already have the bracket that clamps on the receiver.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh yeah, as far as the canted front sight and gas blocks. Just look down the barrel at them (from both ends), should be kinda obvious. Keep in mind that from what I have read lately, the 2003 models are arriving much straighter than some in the past where (and also have better matching wood). My 2003 is perfectly straight. Just look at the serial number on the receiver (opposite side from the safety). The last four numbers in the serial number are the year of manufacture
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top