Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2003 4:42:36 AM EDT
I wanted to put a stock set on my Norinco that was as close to the original color as possible.  I bought a complete Norinco stockset off board member Ned Flanders about a year and a half ago.  I then purchased an Ironwood Maple pistol grip that was cut for ferrule.  Then off to the home depot for min wax wood conditioner, Minwax Golden Pecan stain, and amber shellac.

I installed a Gtech FCG, a US gas piston,and US slant brake.  Then off to work on the wood.

First I wetted the Ironwood grip, then sanded it with 220 grit sandpaper, then 320 grit, then 400 grit, and finished up with rubbing it with steel wool.  Then I applied the wood conditioner.  I let it soak in for 20 minutes then applied the Golden Pecan stain.  I applied a coat of Golden Pecan stain daily until it wasn't getting any darker.  Then I applied 4 coats of the amber shellac.

Here are the results comparing the grip against the Norinco Stockset:

Its not a perfect match, but it is close enough for me!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:32:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks good to me. I've read the golden Pecan is a pretty good match for Romanian laminate too but haven't tried it yet.

I do like the look of a wood pistol grip instead of plastic, especially on Norincos.

Great job!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:46:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah plastic just doesn't look right to me on Norinco's either.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top