Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 9:25:08 AM EDT
I mostly hang out on the AR side of the site but I'm gonna be getting a Bulgarian AKS-74 kit from Ohio Rapid Fire next week or so (which is putting off my M4 project ) and I have some questions.
1. Will regular US made AK parts from Tapco (G2 single hook FCG) work in a 5.45x39 AK74?
2. What kind of work will I have to have done to an Ohio Ordnance Works receiver to use the sidefolding stock?
3. Where can I find some good prices on 5.45 ammo? I can't seem to find much Wolf around.
4. Will Wolf 5.45 work well in a Bulgy AKS74?

Thanks. B_D
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:36:21 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Yes
2. Maybe some slight fitting of parts. The receiver is a tad long so, make sure after you install the front trunion to use the dust cover to help you locate the rear trunion placement. You will also have to cut holes for the folder release button on the rear, the 'catch' on the left side at the front trunion and a hole on the bottom under the front trunion for the pin that holds the 'catch' and spring. You may have to tweak the rails and, but not likely, tweak the ejector rail.
3.Good luck, and if you find some cheap(or at all) let us (me) know.
4. Yes

Both of mine are on  OOW receivers. One from MGS and one I built.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! For future reference, is there anyplace I can send it to have the machining for the sidefolder and the riveting done?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Ken
He's a great guy.

there are a bunch of reputible people, shop around and see, also check about build times.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Alright cool. Any other advice for a guy who's never even shot an AKS74, much less thought of building one since now would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea, keep that tactical crap away from it, it only works on M4geries...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh yeah, I know that much. There's no way I'd Tapco-ize an AK. To tell the truth, my only AR is a totally stock 1981 Colt SP1.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:11:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I have two ORF Bulgy 74s kits made into rifles . One full stock and a sidefolder built a while back on OOW receivers. They were sweet kits. I had a problem with the bolt carrier overriding and not feeding at first on my fullstock. I shoot my OOW sidefolder more and it runs fine. I think it has something to do with the top rails on OOW receivers not being correct thickness. I have heard this problem mentioned everywhere when it comes to FTFeeds.

I wish I had waited and used Global Trades receivers. They seem forever on short supply and I guess I see why.
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top