Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 7:47:38 AM EDT
I have an SSR-85c as am considering polishing the charging handle. I am still a bit of a newb and am not positive if rust and blue remover will remove the finish on the charging handle (parkerizing or what?)   So, if I were to use rust and blue remover is it OK to remove all of the finish off of the charginf handle or is there any area that I should be careful of? Once it is is stripped clean should it be cleaned with anything in particular to remove any residue from the rust and blue remover? Also, will CLP be enough to protect the now bare metal or is there something else that shoud lbe used? Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#1]
i used birchwood casey blue remover and it worked like a charm. althouh i had to use sand paper to get the blueing out of the deep scratches on the charging handle. i also just removed the bluing on the part u can see from the side of the rifle.

i didnt put anything to protect it but so far no rust or problems. i just keep a coat of hopps orange bottle oil on it during storage.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Blue remover will work. Then some steel wool. Finish off with some Brasso or Noxon polish to get it bright and shiny. CLP will work the protect the bare metal but you should check on it every so often in the summer months.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Bench grinder with a wire wheel is what i use, It removes all the finish and removes surface imperfections as well. I Then put a stiff buffing wheel on the bench grinder and use a brown bar polishing compound, once its shinning with that i remove the stiff wheel and replace it with a fluffy wheel and use a green polishing compound bar. The green bar has chromium in it so it will polish it real shiny and protect it from rust at the same time. McM
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top