Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 9:24:54 PM EDT
I've seen some rifles for sale lately made by ITM Arms, or with ITM recievers, anybody know what their story is? Decent builds or no? Any real problems to speak of? I've been around AKs for a bit now, but for whatever reason I've never heard of these guys. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#1]
ITM makes the receivers for Ohio Ordnance works... so they are basically kit builds on what everyone calls an OOW receiver.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Impressions on Ohio Ordnance Works? As I recall, I've heard mixed comments.....
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:33:56 AM EDT
[#3]
5.45x39, zero issues.

7.62x39, the selector hole is too low or something - not quite in spec.

The Armory USA receivers seem to be the new industry darling, since they're sold for about the same price as the ITM/OOW receivers, and they come fully heat treated, UNLIKE the ITM/OOW receivers.

That's potentially something to keep in mind about a kit build with the ITM/OOW receiver - unless the owner or the builder had the receiver fully heat treated (I had mine done), then only the pin holes were treated, and the rest of the receiver may not hold up over time.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:55:42 AM EDT
[#4]
OOW receivers have been around for years.. lots of people built on them when they were the only
receivers around..in a properly built rifle  they have no issues as far as durability goes..

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:32:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#6]
just got an underfolder that was built on a russian kit with the itm receiver. the builder I got mine from said he heat treated everything-lisc'd manufacturer and full time smith and would gladly fix it or exchange it free if I were unsatisfied...at 409 bucks, I think I did pretty good.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#7]
They are pretty good receivers. I wouldn't worry about the heat treating just because over 2-3 years I havent read anything to say they failed. I would bet they have quite a few in circulation; over 10k atleast, so we would of heard about a failure by now.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I heard somewhere that they fix the selector gap in the 7.62 receivers. The also make some strange looking sub guns.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Regarding the heat treating, I've seen two different posts with pictures here where the ejector rail (or whatever the hooked rail is) was getting seriously beaten up on non-heat treated reciever guns.

I had my ITM/OOW receivers heat treated by Chris @ AK-USA.

This is just my personal opinion, but I'd either pay the $30 or $35 or whatever he was charging, or buy an already heat-treated Armory USA receiver.

While, admittedly, there haven't been a LOT of issues with ITM/OOW receivers that haven't received heat treat, I'd rather resolve any potential issue now, rather than have to rebuild a gun later because of it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top