Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 5:31:49 AM EDT
I de-greased mine, got a rack to set over a large pot of boiling water to set them on and steam out the dents, sand, fill, sand some more, and finish. Anyone have any tips or tricks they would like to share?

S.O.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Many guys just place the furniture in the dishwasher to swell dents and clean the wood.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:06:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I put TPH cleaining powder (purchased at Lowes) and boiling water in a 5-gallon bucket and let the wood soak. It removes any old cosmolene or oil and raises old dents.

My Yugo wood came out VERY nice afterwards.

thanks,
Ron

ETA: It also removes any old stain or varnish on the wood. Don't use if you want that original stain.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Many guys just place the furniture in the dishwasher to swell dents and clean the wood.  

It wont stain the dishwasher?

S.O.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It wont stain the dishwasher?

S.O.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:42:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I've never done that myself.  I'm just relaying what I've read from other members here.

Bud
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:18:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I am going to be doing this soon myself.  I have several sets of Romy wood and one set of Yugo handguards.  
What grit sandpaper did you use?
Did you wet sand or dry sand?
Sand with the grain or does it matter?
How long do you steam/boil/dishwasher the wood to remove moderate denting?
Has anyone destroyed furniture using any of these methods?

I hope this isn't taken as a thread-jack, it seems relevant.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top