Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/4/2006 6:24:57 PM EDT
Where is the best place to get a completed Underfolder, and what should I look to pay for it?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:58:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2006 7:04:56 PM EDT by JoeBud]
Keep in mind there is more than one style underfolder. Most of the ones you will see are Polish or Yugoslavian. The Yugo's use a thicker receiver, so the rear trunion is a hair thinner. Romanian folders are far and few between. They have a totally different rear trunion and they hang down at a slight angle. Centerfire lists Yugo folders for $70. I don't know of anyone offering complete Polish folders. They show up on the EE every now and then, $70-85. Copes has Romanian underfolders for $110.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:44:52 AM EDT
Well, this is a start. In your opinions which is the best to buy?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:52:47 PM EDT
I personally like the European*straight* underfolder compared to the Asian*slanted* styel. The European underfolder gives you a straightline stock which makes rapid fire more controllable. The Yugo stock has a longer length of pull than a standard Warsaw length stock. IIRC, there are also NATO length underfolders which may be appealing to you as well. Besides compatibility issues, you main choice will be European/Asian or NATO/Warsaw length of pull. Some people say the slanted*Asian* stocks offer a better cheek weld and are more comfortable. They all have lousy cheek welds and are less than comfortable, so the advantage is negligible to me. I have noticed that Asian underfolders have a tendency to accentuate muzzle flip due to thier non-straightline configuration and it seems like up and down slop is more pronounced and further degenerates control. Much of this is subjective and whats important is how it feels/looks to you though a straightline stock is more effective at negating muzzle flip and controlling a weapon during rapid fire. Seems like stocks go for around 70.00 or so. My recomendation is for the Yugo stock, but if you have weapon which originally came with a slanted Asian style stock and you prefer it, then by all means get it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:33:29 PM EDT
Well as it stands I don't have the weapon so I'm up for suggestions! I found some Yugo's, that had "Dark Bores" that kind of made me a bit hesitant, so I'm still in the hunt now for what I want!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:45:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ryno_the_wyno:
I personally like the European*straight* underfolder compared to the Asian*slanted* styel. The European underfolder gives you a straightline stock which makes rapid fire more controllable. The Yugo stock has a longer length of pull than a standard Warsaw length stock. IIRC, there are also NATO length underfolders which may be appealing to you as well. Besides compatibility issues, you main choice will be European/Asian or NATO/Warsaw length of pull. Some people say the slanted*Asian* stocks offer a better cheek weld and are more comfortable. They all have lousy cheek welds and are less than comfortable, so the advantage is negligible to me. I have noticed that Asian underfolders have a tendency to accentuate muzzle flip due to thier non-straightline configuration and it seems like up and down slop is more pronounced and further degenerates control. Much of this is subjective and whats important is how it feels/looks to you though a straightline stock is more effective at negating muzzle flip and controlling a weapon during rapid fire. Seems like stocks go for around 70.00 or so. My recomendation is for the Yugo stock, but if you have weapon which originally came with a slanted Asian style stock and you prefer it, then by all means get it.

The Romanian UF stock is "slanted" like the Chinese. Also, all the original UF stocks on milled Euro AKs were also slanted.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:12:35 PM EDT
Get a Polish underfolder kit from Dan's Ammo and have it built on a quality heat treated receiver by a professional builder.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:12:05 AM EDT
I'd suggest going with a sidefolder instead of an underfolder, personally.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:30:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TrooperCody:
I'd suggest going with a sidefolder instead of an underfolder, personally.

+1
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:38:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2006 10:39:53 AM EDT by TrooperCody]
The only AK that I own is an underfolder, and I really can't complain that much. I've gotten used to the longer length of pull and am going to try to remedy the uncomfortable cheek weld with some paracord. It's a really beautiful weapon and folds up into a nice little package.

Underfolder Pros:
Occupies slightly less space when folded than sidefolder
Very attractive, old school design
Could make a very effective club (?)

Sidefolder Pros:
Better cheek weld (assuming you don't get the Romanian wire folding stock)
Shorter length of pull, decreasing overall gun length and allowing shorter-armed users more comfort
Can be purchased to fold to the left or fold to the right
You can use a vertical fore grip without being concerned whether your underfolder will clear it
You can use a sidefolder with larger capacity magazines like 40 rounders and drums
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:19:34 PM EDT
Alright Dan's Ammo where else is a good place to get some AK parts, or a build. I prefere the parts I want to atempt the build. My C2 buddy says he will help assemble it, and has all of the jigs to assemble it. I'm looking now for good parts! You will have to forgive my ignorance on this matter, I'm a member of the evil black rifle club. I only have 1 AK now and it is a pistol from JoeKen. That was my first AK experience and it was horrible! I had to wait almost 3 months before I got the gun!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:30:44 PM EDT
I love my Vector arms Polish build. Polish kits are nice. The furniture is top notch.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:33:12 PM EDT
If you are going with a kit then Dan's Ammo is still the best choice. $209.00-249.00 for kits. They are Polish. If you go with the dark bore Yugo you get an non-chromed barrel that could be pitted and takes a special receiver. I think the only place to get the receivers for the Yugo is www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm though there may be another supplier now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:34:59 PM EDT
For a complete rifle Atlantic Firearms
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:22:20 AM EDT
Get a Vector. This is a Vector. Newer ones are even better.
Top Top