Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/3/2006 7:33:28 PM EDT
I was doing some searching on the Mk18 Mod0 CQBR and came across this picture.  I'm posting it here as it looks like an eastern European uniform and name tag.  Is this Russian?  Is he (horror of horrors) using an Mr instead of an AK74?

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Me thinks Airsoft!

Brick
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#2]
He's Israeli. What i haven't figured out is why is Mr. NANA using his NVG during the daylight?  Or did he just get whited out by a camera flash. TG for filters.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I play airsoft. That's no airsoft gun. They don't have bolt carriers behind the ejection covers. Besides most airsofters wouldn't be smart enough to open the ejection cover ;).
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
He's Israeli. What i haven't figured out is why is Mr. NANA using his NVG during the daylight?  Or did he just get whited out by a camera flash. TG for filters.

Those are P's, not N's.  N in cyrillic is H.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:45:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And the first character looks more like a Cyrillic "L".  It's got the subtle curve in the lower left corner.  "LAPA..."?  Hmmmm, come to think of it, that forth character could be a Cyrillic "D".  "LAPD"?  --NoJoe
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Far as the carbine goes, it looks like a 1998 or 1999 production Colt.  Only thing odd about it is the riveted on front swivel.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I play airsoft. That's no airsoft gun. They don't have bolt carriers behind the ejection covers. Besides most airsofters wouldn't be smart enough to open the ejection cover ;).

Yes, they do.

From images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=airsoft+ar:

Originally from aegworld.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/ar151.gif, but Tripod is poopy about linking from off-site.   Airsoft crap for sale at aegworld.tripod.com/index.html.

Five minutes on Google Image Search, and poof, an airsoft with a bolt carrier behind the ejection cover.

I can't claim with any certainty that the dork with nightvision is or isn't holding an airsoft gun, but I'd bet it is.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm going airsoft.  It looks like it has two extra pins at 12 and 3 from the safety, and the brass deflector has no skidmark, only the edges rubbed silver. Or I'm full of it.  One or the other.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#9]
His helmet looks like US kevlar.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:41:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm going airsoft.  It looks like it has two extra pins at 12 and 3 from the safety, and the brass deflector has no skidmark, only the edges rubbed silver. Or I'm full of it.  One or the other.

I am too.

going airsoft..........or full of it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And the first character looks more like a Cyrillic "L".  It's got the subtle curve in the lower left corner.  "LAPA..."?  Hmmmm, come to think of it, that forth character could be a Cyrillic "D".  "LAPD"?  hr

Nope those are p's
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:50:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Air soft has and auto sear pin hole?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:00:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Like I said before, looks real to me, but I don't know nothing about airsoft.  Does airsoft have those gas relief ports in the carrier like this one?

Those are not extra pins around the selector, those are the roll markings.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:47:46 AM EDT
[#14]
How about the external switch plugged into the back of the laser?  Looks kind of cheesy..  Airsoft, or real?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:00:17 AM EDT
[#15]
The camo is a russian pattern, Kamysh I believe it's called.  Maybe Ivan is training with fancy bourgeois rifles?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:02:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Doesn't look like Kamysh... It looks like greek lizard.. which would explain the cyrrilic looking symbols..
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:20:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Air soft has and auto sear pin hole?img204.imageshack.us/img204/7786/eta120ob.jpg

Looks real to me.
Blammo!!!  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Doesn't look like Kamysh... It looks like greek lizard.. which would explain the cyrrilic looking symbols..

I think you're right, I was sure it was Kamysh!  

http://www.shape.nato.int/shape/graphics/2005/10/06/b051006j.jpg

Found this pic, it's definitely easy to confuse the two with the similar lettering and camo.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Airsoft M16 mags dont wear like the one in his M4. They're painted and it just flakes off, not wear down to metal coloring like his is. Also, the bolt carrier is oiled pretty well, while an airsoft one would be dry. Maybe the wire out the back of the laser is an attachment for a optional pressure switch.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll concede that the camo does look Greek (though SERIOUSLY faded), and the nametape kinda works for that (Papadopolous, Papazoglou, Papagiorgiou, the list goes on).

Rifle still looks goofy, though.

I'm still leaning towards Airsoft, with some well-used imported surplus Greek BDU's.  Compare how faded the proposed airsofter's gear is, to these guys (not to mention the Greek use of G3's.  Don't they still use them, or have the switched to the AR platform?):

The helmet also doesn't look right for the Greeks - someone pointed out that it looked like a PASGT helmet, which it does, with a different cover.

The helmet's that these guys are wearing are markedly different:

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Alrighty, I'll correct myself.

I've found some other photos over at www.defencetalk.com/pictures/index.php/cat/4223 that seem to indicate that the Hellenic Army is migrating (or has migrated) to the AR-based platform.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#22]
look how solid the IR is bolted down on that AR, usually airsoft setups are just to hold a larger battery, and the delta ring looks metal to me, the pictures of the airsoft AR's the delta ring looks kinda dark black and shiney. if thats Airsoft its one hell of a copy.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#23]
That's not Russian on the patches
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like in the pic, I see a gas tube, going into the upper receiver right by the delta ring. Airsoft doesn't have a gas tube.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Weapon is real

(1) AutoSear Pin
(2) Roll marking for all 3 positions
(3) Weapon is on SAFE based on line pointing UP
(4) Gas Tube seen between Delta Ring and Upper receiver
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Weapon is real

(1) AutoSear Pin Airsofts have these
(2) Roll marking for all 3 positions Airsofts have these, they also have Colt, RRA, Armalite logo's
(3) Weapon is on SAFE based on line pointing UP   It is pointing up, which mean Fire-AR15 or Semi-M16
(4) Gas Tube seen between Delta Ring and Upper receiver Only difference, visible.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top