Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/22/2006 10:43:38 PM EDT
I know this has been covered many times, I tried to search....but couldn't find any info

Just purchased an new RPK style rear sight for my ak, anybody have any hints or tips for me to remove/install ak rear sights?

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:23:43 AM EDT
[#1]
If you dont have a vise set it down hanging over the edge of a couutertop to keep it steady or have someone hold it for you.Using the rubber coated end of a pliers with your left hand push down hard on it while with your right pull out towards the rear simaltaniously.

A screwdriver works but I found the rubber handle trick leaves no scratches
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#2]
This is from an archived post by socandyman which should be in the BIY tacked thread, but isn't.  You use this modified wrench to compress the flat spring and the sight is easy to remove.

find a elcheapo made in taiwan 3/8 inch open end wrench (you actually need the cheap 1 a good wrench wont work)
grind some meat off the bottom of the wrench till its .100 thick

now take a hammer and beat the bottom jaw till it points to the top (this is why you cant use a us made wrench good steal wont bend lol)

now just cut the lower jaw off .200 long and your done

some wrenches you will need to remove alittle off the top jaw aswell (for clearence) but most you dont

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:35:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks a lot for the replies guys!

I will give it a try..
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#4]
WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THE WRENCH AFTER THAT?  DO THE PIN EARS ON THE REAR LEAF HAVE TO BE PUSHED DOWN TOWARDS THE SPRING AND THEN IS THE SIGHT TWISTED OUT OR WHAT?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Like this.  When you have the spring completely compressed, lay the sight down slightly allowing the ears on the sight to drop down then it kind of comes straight back and out.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks.  Now I see.  You are pushing the very tip of the spring with the wrench.

Midway USA sells a tool for this.  

I've got a few small wrenches lying around for my dremel- you know those thin shitty metal ones...

Maybe I can grind that up and use it...

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
thanks.  Now I see.  You are pushing the very tip of the spring with the wrench.

Midway USA sells a tool for this.  

Midway sells a tool for this? I was just at thier sight and can't find it anywhere. I'm a gun tool junkie.

JoeLad
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Midway and Redstar Arms both have them for 20 bucks or so.

ETA, but the home made one looks just fine to me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Flip the sight up perpendicular to the barrel, smack it lightly with
a rubber, or plastic mallet, it pops out.

The angle of the spring feeds the pins out through the little channels
when struck at this angle.

To reinstall, feed it in at about 45 degrees up from its base and hit it again.

Works everytime for me.

Originally posted at:

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=248532
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top