Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 5:13:22 PM EDT
I finally got to take my PSL to the range.  I was shooting the wolf 7.62x54r that is like 148gr.

It was a cold day, so I had a hard time holding the rifle still.  That and I've never really shot for super accuracy before, so I'm sure I need practice and advice.  But at 100 yards it was grouping about 3 inches.

Thats about what I expected to see.  But I think its capable of more.  The trigger on mine sucks bigtime.  It has a very long and rough pull.  I am definately getting an RSA trigger for it.

Also, I can't help but think that the 4x scope it came with isn't the best for accuracy.  It has the rangefinding reticle that uses a chevron as the point of aim.  I can't help but think a mildot reticle would be more precise making it easier to aim at the exact same spot each time you shoot.  Am I right?  can anyone reccomend a good scope?  Russian type scopes only please.  I prefer one that sits centered over the bore.

Anyone else have an ideas for my PSL?  I know its not ever going to be sub-moa... but I would like to make it as accurate as I can without spending a fortune.

Its a damn fun rifle too :)
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#1]
will an RSA trigger fit the PSL?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
will an RSA trigger fit the PSL?

Yes, and is a mandatory replacement.

-k
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the barrel on my PSL shortened to 20" for a couple of reasons.  I wanted the "Tiger" length barrel and also I wanted to be able to carry the rifle by it's grip and NOT drag it in the dirt.  Plus, sometimes shortening a barrel can improve it's grouping due to less barrel whip/vibration as it now becomes "stiffer".  Seems to have worked for mine.  Here is a latest target at 100 yards using Czech Silver Tip the (5) shot group measures 2 1/2" at it's largest.  The FAL did slightly better that day at a 1 3/4" group for (5) shots.  

I have no problems with the original 4x scope, it works geat for me.  I can gong the welding tanks standing up at my shooting lease and they are @ 400 yards using Silver Tip and the original 4x scope.  I cleaned the rifle and of course had to remove the scope.  Next time I went out I hung (2) 2" tannerite targets at 100 yards and it only took (2) shots to get (2) kabooms, so mine stays pretty much on target from one shooting session to the next.

Try that scope out before you run buy one of the 6 or 8x ones available.  I tried the 8x and it was just way too powerful for targets within 150 yards and the FOV shrinks so bad any movement and your target is lost.  And, from my experience and from what I have seen and heard, the reticule on an 8x ends up pretty darn high inside the scope view to get it zeroed.  Not really something you want on so powerful a scope due to FOV to start with.  Just my observations I thought I would share.  

My PSL web page

UPDATE: I am refinishing ALL of the metal with Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II and the stocks are getting redone in a more browner "Special Walnut" stain and re-seal with Satin Spar Urethane sealer.  They are drying right now and all should be together by Thursday/Friday.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I chose the  6X for mine for the same reasons
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I finally got to take my PSL to the range.  I was shooting the wolf 7.62x54r that is like 148gr.

It was a cold day, so I had a hard time holding the rifle still.  That and I've never really shot for super accuracy before, so I'm sure I need practice and advice.  But at 100 yards it was grouping about 3 inches.

Thats about what I expected to see.  But I think its capable of more.  The trigger on mine sucks bigtime.  It has a very long and rough pull.  I am definately getting an RSA trigger for it.

Also, I can't help but think that the 4x scope it came with isn't the best for accuracy.  It has the rangefinding reticle that uses a chevron as the point of aim.  I can't help but think a mildot reticle would be more precise making it easier to aim at the exact same spot each time you shoot.  Am I right?  can anyone reccomend a good scope?  Russian type scopes only please.  I prefer one that sits centered over the bore.

Anyone else have an ideas for my PSL?  I know its not ever going to be sub-moa... but I would like to make it as accurate as I can without spending a fortune.

Its a damn fun rifle too :)

I think it needs a bayo lug welded on the end of it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#6]
When I purchased my PSL, first thing I did after taking it to the range is replaced trigger group with Bulgarian group from "k-var" and it worked flawlessly ever since.  I also replaced original 4x scope with 8x42 POSP and very satisfied with it.

If you looking for good mildot scope  www.kalinkaoptics.com have POSP’s 6x42 and 8x42 with mildot reticle.

On the hundred yards I usually get 1 ½” – 1 ¾” group with first 5 rounds, after that, barrel heats up and groups varies from 2 1/2” to 4” (depends on the rate of fire.) I usually use 148gr Wolf ammo.  

Right now I’m planning on lightening and polishing the hammer, maybe do some kind of improvements on the bolt.  

Overall I very pleased with rifle, but wish it had thicker barrel and didn’t had such a crappy
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I think it needs a bayo lug welded on the end of it.

Better yet, a hunk of steel that I will dremel into the shape of a lug.  That will make it a sub-moa shooter!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't want to hijack this thread...but if you buy one of the 4-8x PSOPs and put the BDC dial from the 4x Romanian scope on it, the BDC will only be correct at 4x, right? You really don't see scopes that have BOTH a BDC and variable power do you?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:38:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:16:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh I know the dials will fit - that's not the problem. I'm trying to affirm weather or not the BDC will be correct any anything other than 4 power. I don't see how it could, but I figured I'd ask anyway.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:13:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I need a PSL, never see any used for sale.

I want a standard one with 4x and a few mags.

Already posted a WTB, no joy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:01:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top