BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 3:11:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canukausiuka] [#1]
Been lurking for a few months, finally registered.

Going to graduate school in MS, as is my wife.  Our son goes with us sometime, too, but I think it will be a while before he gets a degree, being as he's less than a year old.

Been shooting since I was a kid, but decided to actually purchase a rifle only recently.  Of course, I made the mistake of telling myself I'd buy a rifle if Obama won, when I should have said if Obama might win.  Could have saved myself $100 or so.  Since I'm living on a relatively meager income, it was a WASR-10 for me.  She has since been sighted in (as well as I could using a hammer and a punch anyway), and I just got done refinishing her.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/Canukausiuka/Misc/IMG_1375.jpg

Now if only the ammo I have backordered from Cabela's would come in.
Link Posted: 3/10/2009 12:21:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I have floated between the dark side and the light side. After owning 3 different AR's I am back. I have nothing bad to say about AR's at all they are great. However after selling my AR's off I broke down and purchased a Saiga 16" in .223. Just waiting for the conversion kit to get in. Though I kind of like the rifle stock, so we will see. May save the conversion kit for the Saiga in .308. Great rifle's.
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems I'm the new old fart here...retired airline pilot, ex military/LEO, father of two college-aged money vacuums, and appreciates nearly any device that expels a projectile or goes bang or boom...nice to see a group of enthusiasts who appreciate their constitutional rights and share knowledge of their favorite toys...God knows I am always learning!  Looks like a well-run site from what I see so far!
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm new to this site too, but not guns. I'm 31, from VA, married with two sons and another child on the way, ex-military, now in L.E. (sort of). I have quite a few guns including two AR-15's and one AK, getting ready to buy another one at work tonight though actually, so that'll be two AK's soon! Finally joined this site because of all the political troubles that may lie ahead, and for all the great tips that most of you guys seem to offer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 10:52:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: camjr] [#5]
Been researching (lurking) for a couple of weeks, and jumped into the AK world today with the purchase of an AMD-65 (now, if I can just be patient until the bulk 7.62x39 starts showing up again).  I've been a shotgun and handgun shooter for quite a while, but this is my first tactical rifle.  I've been a member of a lot of the other common forums out there, but just joined this group.  Thanks for all the helpful info to this point.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Hi,

My first post and I'm from Kalifornia

25 years old and married

into ARs, AKs, Glocks and plinking w/ .22lr.  In to future I hope to add another M1A, that I don't have to sell, to my collection.

Also looking to get into reloading in the near future.  And am going to enjoy looking around the site.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 12:43:13 AM EDT
[#7]
hey i just figured out this site, proud to be a member, all you need to know is that im just another american clinging to guns and religion!http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt324/xp41007/PICT0110.jpg
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Paul here, 49 yrs, 10 yrs, U.S.A., 19E40 type. Love anything martial that goes bang. The usual suspects, '03, M-1, Mosin-Nagant, SKS,AK, AR
SA M1919A4/A6. and a 1942 Ford GPW 1/4 ton to carry it all!

Like 'em all!

Lurked around here for ever before joining.

Lot of good folks here
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 7:48:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StagArmslower] [#9]
55 years old , married 35 years, kids on their own, I started with AR from Del-ton, have another lower plus building 2 uppers, today I finished riveting my first Romy G; need to weld(Mig) the lower rails, stocks already refinished. Have another Romy demiled waiting. Shooting for over 20 years, still hunting from time to time. Love Arfcom site.

Oh, forgot, I have Yugo 70B AK too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Wazzup!!

I'm Kevin, I live in Arkansas out in the sticks.  I'm not much of a military arms buff even though I typically know more about them than most (probably not so much on this forum though).  I'm actually more into Sporting Clays and fine English shotguns...But my first gunsmithing job was working on machineguns for a class 3 importer.  Can't work in that environment and not pick up a thing or two.  I've worked on most anything you can think of with the exception of belt fed (we had a belt fed expert, so it's a skill I never acquired)...lots of SMG's and older military rifles (Garands, Carbines, MP-44's, Johnson's etc.).

I recently bought my first AK in over 15 years; kinda like coming home for me.  Fun stuff!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm Matt.  From N Ohio.  41, Married, Kids, animals n alla the usual stuff.  Been reading here a while.  Finally joined this month!
Wonder what else many of us would have in common?  I'm an experienced autobody man and fabricator.  I've got a few cars n trucks from the late40's thru 70's.
Also into renovating my Victorian country home.  Moreso than I'd like to be sometimes!  Was getting burned out on the cars last year as the economy and political shift happened
and decided to pay more attention to my guns again.

Always been anAK fan.  AR's don't really feel as good in my hands.

Currently have SKS M, MAK 90, AMD-65, AES-10 B.  I'll hafta get em together for an orgy pic with the mags cases n cans sometime.
Till then I'll be lurking around that dark corner...
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Brian in Richmond, VA.  34, Married no kids, 5 dogs.

I've been shooting AR's for years.  Got into AKs in 2003 with a SAR1.  Picked up a Maadi RML, Yugo M70 Underfolder and Yugo M70 straight stock since.

The dark side isn't as fun as it was when you could get 1k rounds of r 7.62x39 for $80
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#13]
married 34 years, 2 kids, 2 grandkids, first ak today!
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Hello, new user here. Just signed up. My buddy has been a member for along time and he said this is the best site to be a part of. Former service member who LOVES weapons and firing them. Just added some UTG handrails to my Romainian SAR-1. Pretty sweeeet. Adding maybe a Magpul colapsible stock and ergo grip. Trying to find some cheap ammo but I know it's tough out there. Bought some Egyptian stuff but haven't tried it yet. Anyone have any luck with that stuff?
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#15]
New to the sight, 35, married, 4 dogs. Never owned a rifle until before the election. Now I have 2 Arsenal AKs and couple of Glocks. There is so much great information here and it's so fun learning. Goal is to buy more ammo. I love this place.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Howdy........Names Charlie. I've been floating around here off and on for a few months now but just checked out the AK section today. Started out in AK's back in the late 80's with a Norinco and a Clayco , couple of MAK-90's then went through the AR thing for a short time but came back to my AK roots a few years ago with a healthy measure of C&R rifle stuff (Mostly Mosins) thrown into the mix. Pretty much just into AK's, SKS's and Combloc bolt guns in the rifle stuff now. Pistols.........It's all 1911's and N frame Smith's. Can't beat a good GI 1911 or a nice model 28 or 29 wheelgun IMHO.

Married, 2 daughters (Stay away from them you preverts ) live in the eastern rural area of Va. just minding my own business and working my little peice of the earth.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#17]
married, no kids, some pets and a beat up Maadi.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 11:47:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZdrifter] [#18]
Just bought a WASR-10 this afternoon.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:48:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HunterDave] [#19]
Hi Y'all ,
    David here. Just an old country boy from Louisiana . 43 yrs old, Married , 2 boys almost grown. Been shooting and hunting since I was 6yrs old. Just love guns ,all kinds.
I own, at last count ,about 45 of 'em.  Cowboy guns- SA revolvers,lever actions , WWII - Jap 99 , US  M1carbine  ,Garand , German - Mauser K98  British  303 ,  Modern Mil - AR's  AK's  SKS's
Hunting- Bolt actions , lever actions,single shot 45-70's   Shotguns- semi's ,pumps , double barrels ,  semi auto pistols- 45's ,9mm . My wife and kids knows how to use them  also. A bad guy comin round here to do mischief ,has a high probability that he will leave here with some major holes, in some vital areas .

Oh , and thousands of rounds of ammo. You see, I'm one of those right wing terrorist that DHS Sec. Napalitano warned about. That and I'm a Christian and few other things on their list.
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#20]
shooter1201, here.  Formerly of The Alpha Group ( www.alpharubicon.com ).  Retired school teacher and former LEO.  Currently residing in The Heart of Dixie.  Former AK-fanatic, now returned 'home'.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I just bought my first AK last week - Krebs custom.  I should be here on Friday!  

New to this forum as well, looking forward to checking it out and learning some mew stuff!

Les George
Corpus Christi, TX
www.georgeknives.com

Link Posted: 5/18/2009 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Ya, you all got me, I lurked awhile but now coming clean! AK fan for about 20 years now, as I bought my 1st one new in 1989.  Still have it of course, Polytech spiker.  Like most of you I have other, lesser guns...Mosin, SKS, RRA AR.  

For me, the Kalashnikov rifle offers everything I need and my faves are my Intrac MK II, Romak-1, my Tantal and of course the spiker.

PS.....the aforementioned weapons were all lost at sea just today, I am still grieving the tragic loss!!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2009 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Guilty as charged,  for being a lurker around here.  Roger,  41,  Asheville,  all ARs,  until about three months ago, and bought me a Yugo underdfolder,  and I cant quit fondling it!  
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Another fellow lurker.

I'm from WI, I shoot a Mossberg 500 tactical and a Beretta 9mm Storm. I am 35 years young and looking to purchase an AK. Since teaching my girlfriend of 7 years to shoot, she has pretty much taken over the Beretta, which means I have to purchase an AK so I have a rifle to shoot as well, at least that's the excuse I'm using
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Hello to everyone. I have been lurking in a dark corner for some time now. I recently purchased my first AK ( unfortunately I can't find my camera) and decided to officially introduce myself.

My name is Wes and I'm 47. I'm married with 2 kids of my own and my wife has 5 of her own ( yeah I know sounds like the Brady Bunch), fortunately they don't live with us.

I'm a Desert Storm vet and former Police Officer. My son and I are also building our first AR15's together.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#26]
hi im 24 in S.C due to the AIR FORCE 2 kids currently own a romanian ak was hopeing to build a AR but after buying my lowers i just cant see myself waiting 12 weeks for parts so decided to go back to AK's im currently trying to gather up parts for my first build
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#27]
hi im 24 in S.C due to the AIR FORCE 2 kids currently own a romanian ak was hopeing to build a AR but after buying my lowers i just cant see myself waiting 12 weeks for parts so decided to go back to AK's im currently trying to gather up parts for my first build
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:18:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZRaptor] [#28]
Hitting 40 in a couple months, married 15 years (in two days) and have two kids. Registered some time ago to learn about ARs, but never pulled the trigger on one. (Bad pun I know). I came looking to build my first AR, but something always seems to attract my attention with the AKs. Still have to decide which way to go. Probably gonna depend alot on rifle and ammo availability.

Off to read up and find out how to select a great AK.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:42:05 AM EDT
[#29]
31 Married, serving in New Zealand Army. Always had an interest in the firearms before joining up, Got a Molot Vepr in .223 a couple years back and it hope to add some more  AKs in the future.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Hello all...I've been around for a few months now, but never formally introduced myself. I'm 33, never been married, but I have a beautiful 12 year old daughter. I've always loved guns, but never got one until September of last year. I guess when I was younger I didn't trust my bad tempter lol I've calmed down dramatically! My first gun was a Springfield XD 9mm, and then about a month later I picked up a GSG5 carbine. I thought I was done, and then then my friend said he wanted to sell his Olympic Arms AR15 and his WASR-10. I did some research and picked up the WASR...I've since fell in love with the Russian beauties. I've since picked up a Polish Tantal built by a local AKsmith I met at a local gun show. I'm getting ready to sell my WASR and get a Romanian PSL. I will probably pick up another WASR soon as a project gun. Well that's my brief history...see you all around!
Link Posted: 7/9/2009 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#31]
hey guys. i'm an AK noob but have a couple other fun toys. i'm 22 and live with my girlfriend. i'm a pre law student finishing up undergrad degree and then i'm off to law school.

my toys are as follows
-Century GP 1975 with NC star receiver cover rail and NC star red dot (noob stuff, i know, let me have fun being a tacti-fool before i spend the big $) it was bought used BTW
-Mossberg 590 with side saddle and pistol grip/6 pos. stock
-Springfield XD45C in olive/stainless with truglo TFO's
-Springfield XD9SC all black
-Taurus PT1911 Duotone with approx $300 in ed brown perfection parts and other trinkets (will outshoot kimbers, SA's, etc)
- (Girlfriend's) Taurus PT111 (millenium subcompact) 9mm in Duotone
Link Posted: 7/9/2009 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey.
I'm George from Arizona, married with 3 kids.  Just got my first AK this week,  It is a WARSAR 10/63.  It has needed a little work, ordered a sherpads crook or whatever it is called to hold in the trigger pin..(was having double shots as it kept coming loose).  Had to take a file and shapening stone to the mag well to get mags to fit well.  Sanded and stained the stock (dark wallnut, an improvement astetically).  Not sure I'm sold on them yet, will have to make alot more range trips without any problems before I can say it is reliable.
I have a friend who has a YUGO folding stock AK, it is nice, shoot well out to 200-300 yards, but not an AR 15 for sure in that respect.  Mine has shot well enough out to 200 yards, and I think once I sort out the reliability issue I will like it more.  I would have bought a YUGO as well, but I'm not going to pay 700 bucks for an AK, still a fun gun to play with, and is still cheap (relitively speaking) to shoot.  F@$%*&$ ammo prices.
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally from NY and now back in this shithole.

Proud owner of a Pre-Ban Poly AK-47S, a modded MAK-90, a VEPR K, and a Krebs KTR-03V.

Still on the market for a classic AK-47 with wood furniture. I'll post a picture of my motivation later. It'll make you drool.
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Hello, I'm George, 45 from Arizona.  Married with three children, 2, 4, and 11.  I just got my first AK recently, it is a WASR 10/63, after putting in a shepards crook it is good to go.  I also had to file out the mag well a little bit to get it to accept steel mags.  It is alot more accurate than I thought it was going to be...but have to say I still prefer the AR.  I have never had one fail on me and I do shoot them alot.  The AR may work when dirty ect, but if you run your AR wet, keep it moderatly clean it will run and run, alot more accurate as well.  I have thought about getting a polish Tantal in that 5.whatever x 39, ammo seems quite available, mags a little harder to get, but I can't say it would be better than an AR, just fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 4:21:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Citadel-SC] [#35]
Michael from SC upstate area. Been lurking on here for a couple of years; thought I would finally join up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Hey guys.  I am 45 and have been in the military for 26 years.  I love my job!  I also love guns.  I have owned ARs, Nazi and US WWII handguns, civil war weapons and AKs.  I finally got rid of the ARs because they are boring, the Nazi and US WWII handguns because I wouldn't shoot them and the civil war weapons because they are tooooooooo expensive.  I have had AKs since the mid 80s and wish I could go back in time and get back all the ones I sold..  Now I own a total of eight Aks with only one being CIA (Yugo M70 UF).  I don't post much due to my schedule, but I am trying to change that.  I love to shoot.  I grew up in an area where I could shoot in the front, side or back yard any time I wanted.  About a year ago I hooked up with a guy who owned a private range and we shot a couple thousand rounds in a six month period.  I am in HI now, so I want get to shoot for myself for a while.  Everyone on the forum seems to be friendly and helpful.

Thanks

Warrant
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#37]
In Houston - Married, No Kids.  Just bought my first AK last weekend!  
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Howdy,

My name is Floyd and I'm a gunaholic....  (HI, Floyd!).  Been collecting since mid-60's and bought my first AK (legend) in '89.....Later sold it...what a dumb ass.  Anyhow, own everything from an 1859 Sharps to a Noveske Recce AR.  Bought a MAADI back in '93 along with a Yugo 7.62x39 and Yugo .308.  Still have all three.  Just bought an In-Range AK-74 (should get here Wed) and am thinking about one of the Russian 74's from Kvar.  Actually bought a Chinese SVD (s/n in the 200's) back in the 90's...sold it too...REAL dumb ass there, although it actually didn't shoot all that well.  If you've read this far, I'm 60, married 27 years, oldest Son graduated from West Point in '06 (Never Falter, Never Quit), live in the mountains of NC (love it).  Always wanted a Polytech side-folder with red furniture...but then I also wanted to be handsome....neither likely to happen
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 2:10:26 AM EDT
[#39]
From MO.  I like AK's, found this site searching for information on the TGI/In-Range AK-74s.  Enganged, one kid, cool dog, and a cat.  I own a Romanian G kit build ak, a Yugo M70ab2, and a Taurus PT111. Hope to add a 74 sometime soon.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 5:13:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: California_Kid] [#40]
I'm thinking about joining the Dark Side.

Turner's has an ad for a rifle called "IOInc CASAR", which appears to be a US-made AK variant in 7.62 x 39.  It's Occupied Californistan-legal becaue it lacks Evil Features and is sold here with only a 10-round magazine.  No doubt the brake is "permanantly" attached.  It takes standard AK mags.

Does anyone have an opinion of that rifle, good bad or indifferent?  At $599 I don't see how you could go wrong with it.

Turner's ad

TIA for any advice.  BTW, I also have a receiver blank and plan to do a build some day, in my multitudinous spare time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#41]
I think I am joining the Warsaw pact too. I just hate the tiny high velocity ammo and teeny  detents and springs on ARs, and I have built 3 of them.  I'd like to migrate to all 30 cal rifles over the next couple years.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#42]
My name is Thell, from Ft.Worth, TX...just joined the DARK SIDE and the site for that matter; love it! had a SAR 2 since 2001 and a AMD-65  loven  it, planning on getting a bulgy in the next couple weeks. i collect military rifles and anything that goes BANG!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Hi guys!  I am 35, live in middle TN and have owned several WASRs.  Right now I have one that I need to stain the wood on but I just cannot decide is I want to go with Russian red or Plum.  Glad to join the dark side.
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#44]
From VERMONT 50 years old and have been a bulleyes target shooter for years. As the eyes got older I decided to do some fun shooting.
So 4 weeks ago I bought my first, a MAK 90!  WOW this gun is a blast, So much that today I ordered a SGL 21-66. Can's wait to get it.
My son shoots an AR so I am sure there will be some friendly competition go on soon.

Love this site
Link Posted: 11/18/2009 12:09:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: calicoss47] [#45]
Name is Josh and just turned 29. Living at the bottom of the map in South Florida. Started with AKs in 1999 w/ my first purchase being an SAR-1 (which I still own and lost count of ammo down the barrel after the 3,000 mark). No kids, many hobbies (cars, fishing, the usual) and just purchased the Saiga SGL-21-66. Also have a WASR-10 for $hits and giggles but handed it over to my pops for his birthday. Also just settled on a Bushmaster to get my AR fix and one of my favorite pieces, the M-4 Super 90 to fulfill my shotgun gap. Got more hardware in the closet but I'll end it here...  
Link Posted: 11/18/2009 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Harley riding USMC vet in DFW, 55, two dogs and a wife, CHL holder, mos'def nobody's victim, investigating the world of the AK74 in anticipation of the collapse of American civil society.
Link Posted: 11/18/2009 11:26:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Falcon09] [#47]
Hi, my name is Falcon09 and I am addicted to Black Rifles.  Just got an SGL-21 from K-VAR, my first AK.
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#48]
I am EL Perdido. Lost down on the border in West Texas. I used to have an L1A1 and an Imbel FAL. Had to sell due to my Uncle Sam, who is my employer, transferred me to California. Now he has seen fit to send me back to Texas. The first thing I did was buy a WASR 10/63. It needs a little stain on the stock(maybe), and some tung oil, but it seems to be a solid weapon. I have a crate of Yugo M67 on the way from J&G, and will be sighting this puppy in as soon as I can. The fun has begun.
Link Posted: 11/27/2009 2:24:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Masterbeef] [#49]
Born and raised in the asshole armpit of the midwest. Recently returned here after a long stint in the san diego area.
I miss the weather, the water, the women, the food. Everyone here is fat and looks as if they just emerged from a time warp that takes you directly to season 1 of Roseann, but i no longer live with  the anti gun hippie state.
Been shooting since i was a kid. My father collected firearms of all kinds, and i have been doing so since i was legally able to buy them after turning 18 . When he died, i inherited everything he had. Sold most of mine when i left and am in the process of slowly replacing them. Mostly into black rifles. Really into AKs. So far have a saiga conversion and a century GP 1975. Indeed the fun has begun.
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 11:18:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hiram] [#50]
Hello, name's Ike. 62, married, three grown and married kids. Still married to my high school sweetheart, we got hitched right after she graduated HS (I was 2 years ahead of her) and I was on boot camp leave from the Marine Corps. That was the summer of 1967, she waited at my folks house while I then did a tour and 2/3 with Bravo Co, 1st Bn, 5th Marines as an 0331 in I Corps, RVN. I resisted the AK for a long time (the enemy's rifle ya know), I had took multiple GSW's from one (or more) in Oct of '69. What happened to me that day was why the 2nd tour was not completed. Anyway, that was a long time ago, and I keep my AK with me whenever I'm out on our place. We live in very rural E. Kentucky on a good sized piece of land where I pursue various agricultural ventures (all legal, lol). That rifle with a few spare mags gives peace of mind when I'm the only help I'll get if anything was to happen. Been shooting all my life, the safe is pretty full but I won't list what I have in it online. Suffice to say that I have what I want with ample ammunition for everything. Best to all here.
Page / 14
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top