Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 12:50:42 PM EDT
Me and a buddy went to the range today and tried to see how hot we could get some barrels. The AK wood wasn't smoking but it was close! The M16 faired a little better, but we didn't push it as hard (naturally).

Enjoy!

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Great pics!

Your slant brake looks like it's slanted the wrong way though........

Thanks!

The muzzle brake is slanted that way because my front sight post doesn't have a detent to hold the brake on so I had to just tighten it down. When I get my new barrel installed, all will be well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:18:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sounds good.  Are you also replacing the gas block so that you have a bayo lug?

Yes, I am going to order one of the complete barrel assemblies from Polytech Parts and have someone install it for me. I emailed them and they said these barrels are new with no holes drilled for the barrel pin. It should be a nice install and will restore this MAK to it's original "pre-ban" state. I already have all the compliance parts installed, and when I switch out the barrel, I will install my Ironwood upper and lower handguards and pistol grip. I also plan to have it refinished (know anyone good?) when I am done. It should look really good. Now just to save the money up to do it all!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Are you looking to blue it like the originals were or a more durable polymer finish like Gunkote or Durakote?

I can't tell you how many pre-89 Chinese underfolders I've been through......you would have thought I'd have learned to keep at least one.....

Yeah you definitely should have kept one. These things are nice when it comes to AK's. I can't see myself getting rid of this one. I was in a shop this afternoon that usually has lots of AK variants and all he has was a way overpriced MAADI. I wish I had picked up more when they were all so cheap!

I think a durable polymer type coat would work best. The original bluing would be nice, but I think it would require too much metalwork to smooth this one out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've heard very good things about Salbo Arms.  He's a mod with me at Gunco.

Very nice guy, and very professional.  His prices are hard to beat too.

Here are some pics of a preban Type 56 he did.

www.salboarms.com/gpage1.html1.html

And general AK finishing.

www.salboarms.com/AK-47.html

Bookmarked! That 56 looks fantastic! Thanks for the link, when I get ready, I will call him first.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#9]
are you sure your front sight doesnt have a detent?  mine was staked down on my MAK underfolder, I just had to do a bit of file and drill work to free it up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
are you sure your front sight doesnt have a detent?  mine was staked down on my MAK underfolder, I just had to do a bit of file and drill work to free it up.

I don't know what you mean by staked down. Can you be more specific? Mine definitely has the hole where the detent would be, but it is filled with metal that is finished the same as the rest of the sight block and it is smooth enough that I can barely tell there is a hole there.

I would like to be able to get to the detent if it is there. Can you tell me how?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#12]
my brothers mak(just like mine) was like yours, I ended up drilling out the old detent pin and dropping in a spare from a kit.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top