Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 5:44:11 PM EDT
Besides the obvious compactness, why else would AK nuts buy an underfolder...or for that matter, a sidefolder?

Help me talk myself into buying one! (It just seems uncomfortable to shoot).

Bud
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:50:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 5:51:01 PM EDT by SelectFire]
Why for the Uber-coolness silly.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:52:59 PM EDT
PURE EVIL

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:26:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bachelor_of_Science:
Besides the obvious compactness, why else would AK nuts buy an underfolder...or for that matter, a sidefolder?

Help me talk myself into buying one! (It just seems uncomfortable to shoot).

Bud

That's about it. Why are you looking for anything more?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:33:59 PM EDT
They're not really un-comfortable,I'm kinda partial to an underfolder!
Yugo underfolder

Polish PMKMS

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:34:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 6:35:12 PM EDT by Tommy2399]
I got one to make up for my little pen@%

During the Ban years paid a mint for one but had to have one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:16:58 PM EDT
Compactness. Cool-factor. Evilness, to name a few.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:44:49 PM EDT
They just look cool, just like the side folders

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:46:11 PM EDT
Congratulations on your promotion to SFC.

Bud
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:26:23 PM EDT
I enjoy folders because they are a bit less awkward to carry around. I noticed this right off the bat when I slinged mine over my back to carry around in a rural area. The compactness isn't a big issue, but they do take up less storage space. This a plus- particularly for people who store their firearms in safes.

They make Dianne Fienstein cry, and this is always a plus.

Lastly, they- underfolders in particular- are a part of AK history. I grew up watching news reports, movies, and TV shows about cold war conflicts. The bad guys often had AKs and some of their rifles were folders.

I personally wish someone in the U.S. would make a close copy of the plastic sidefolder the Russians use on their AK-47M rifle. In my opinion it is the best compromise between tacti-coolness and ergonomics.

Galland
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:43:39 PM EDT
I recently bought a Yugo underfolder, which I love. IMO, the Yugo AK's are some of the best 7.62 AK's availible, especially the underfolders. I like the longer length of pull that the M70 offers and I also like how it has a "straight line stock". Its not nearly as uncomfortable to shoot as it might appear. The Yugo has increased weight and a staight line stock, which helps to manage recoil. I use recoil buffers in all my AK's and they make a big difference. My girlfriend put 300 rounds through my Yugo yesterday without incident. If it was uncomfortable, she wouldn't have shot it more than once. I personally don't prefer "asian" underfolders as recoil feels more pronounced

and muzzle jump seems to more of a problem. I use AK's as my "truck gun" and having a folder is imperative for this role. AK underfolders are compact without sacraficing shootability as some folders do. With the exception of Chinese Type 56, AKS74 and "Galil" type side folders, I really don't prefer them. They are usually crude steel bars which can be uncomfortable and sloppy. While they are convieniet, they compromise shooting performance. Underfolders are a much better choice for 7.62x39 AK's. Besides the obvious functional advantages, they are extremely cool.
When the next ban comes, they will be worth a fortuen...just like pre-ban underfolders were. The only non-folders I have are post-ban AK's and I won't buy another non-folder.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:59:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 11:05:23 PM EDT by Woody600]
How do you get a good cheek-weld on a metal bar? I think the underfolders look awesome but I can't imagine them being comfy to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:18:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Woody600:
How do you get a good cheek-weld on a metal bar? I think the underfolders look awesome but I can't imagine them being comfy to shoot.

Some minor discomfort is more than made up for by the kewlness
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:40:35 AM EDT
I have to admit, it ain't the most comfortable thing to shoot, but it is still one of my favorite rifles. I like the idea of adding a buffer to reduce some of the recoil. Anybody else using one?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:20:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:42:29 AM EDT
Holy crap! Fienstein owns a gun!?!?!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:21:16 AM EDT

I like the idea of adding a buffer to reduce some of the recoil. Anybody else using one?

Now this is just my opinion but, I have one with a buffer and one without, and I think the one with the buffer kicks more. I think the reason is that the bolt comes back and pounds the buffer, where the one without has some more spring travel to soak up the recoil, just my thought I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:10:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:55:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JOHNO:

Polish PMKMS

i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/jaodom722/8-11-05a.jpg

Where'd you get the polish underfolder? kit build?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:18:23 PM EDT

Come to think of it, that alone is enough to make me want one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:27:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Templar:

Originally Posted By Galland:
Galland

img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/FeinsteinHungarianSA-85M.jpg

I think that silly bitch is holding a Hungarian underfolder. Finger on trigger, but I can't tell if the safety's on.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:57:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Templar:

Originally Posted By Galland:
Galland

img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/FeinsteinHungarianSA-85M.jpg

I love that picture...lol... the ladies face in the back is priceless...lol...
Top Top