Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 6:57:19 PM EDT
Thinking of purchasing a pre-ban Polytech AKM in 5.56x45.  Are they as reliable as their counterpart 7.62s?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#1]
One thing that you should know, the Polytech .223 took a mag that is different than the Norinco.  Hard to find and pricey.  It should be just as reliable as a 7.62 AK.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely be careful here my man.  Poly Techologies made an AKS model (underfoilding "pig sticker" bayonet) model in 223.  This used AK-47 form factro mags that are damn hard to find.  Norinco used AK-74 form factor mags.  Think $100 apiece for the Poly Tech mags and $500 for a drum.

Beautiful gun (I passed on one) but the mags are a bad surprise.  If you love that Poly AKS look (who doesn't) pick up a 7.62 firearm.  What a classic.

Norinco 84s doesn't have quite the soul of the Poly - but is a rugged beauty in its own right (at much lower cost).  

My Norinco 5.56 is one of my favorite shooters - utterly reliable and less perceived recoil than the average 5.45x39 due to the heft of the Norinco build.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:48:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you, fellas.  I see someone else was asking about 5.56 AKs.  I should have read further down the threads.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top