Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 7:17:05 AM EDT
I need to find someone who can install a barrel on my MAK-90. Instead of trying to find all the parts to deban my MAK, I figured why not just by the complete barrel assembly and have it installed? So, who can do it and how much?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:26:04 AM EDT
[#1]
What state are you in.  That might be a good starting point as to who you may want to use.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#2]
South Carolina but I will send it anywhere I need to.

Thanks for reminding me though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#3]
You can do it this way , but the barrel pin probably will not
line up with the hole on the new barrel.  
If you just line it up to fit,(If you can) the head space will be WAY OFF.
KyARGuy
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:22:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe one of the Site Staff or Moderators had this done.  You will also have to put the correct compliance parts in the rifle when you start changing the configuration it was imported with.  Such as when you take the thumbhole stock off, etc...

Email Jeepcreep as that is who had this done I believe.  If I remember right, Inrange did it for him, but I maybe mistaken. They are in Kodak, TN which is about the closest one I can think of to you.  www.inrangec2.com/  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#5]
You could also talk to DukeNukem.

He is the moderator in the MO hometown forum and has his own shop and I believe specializes in AKs.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
KyARGuy

Why would it not fit and why would the headspacing be way off? I am asking sincerely because I don't know but I would assume that since the barrel is identical to what I have now, it would work just fine?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
KyARGuy

Why would it not fit and why would the headspacing be way off? I am asking sincerely because I don't know but I would assume that since the barrel is identical to what I have now, it would work just fine?

Because no two barrels are made exactly the same.  Each barrel are specially headspaced to each individual gun.  the pin hole on your new barrel was cut to fit the rifle it was originally on, therefore there's a good posibility that the same pin hole won't headspace on your rifle, thus a new pin hole may need to be drilled on your barrel.  

If the barrel you have is brand new never installed on a rifle (meaning it hasn't had the pin hole cut), then it shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh, I see what you mean now. I emailed them to ask if the assembly is new or used. If it is new, how much do people charge to do this? No one has responded yet saying they can do it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#9]
if it's new there will be quite a bit of work involved, here is the post about it.  Troy at Inrange quoted me $125 for a new barrel install.

if it's used the builder can headspace it then if the pin notch on the barrel is off they can drill the hole larger and put a bigger pin in.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
if it's new there will be quite a bit of work involved, here is the post about it.  Troy at Inrange quoted me $125 for a new barrel install.

if it's used the builder can headspace it then if the pin notch on the barrel is off they can drill the hole larger and put a bigger pin in.

So let's see, $240.00 for the MAK, $80.00 for the barrel assembly and $125.00 to install it. That comes to $445.00. I then have another $50.00 in the underfolder stock and about $100.00 in compliance parts (a big chunk of that will be some nice wood from Ironwood) which brings the grand total to $595.00! Too rich for my blood!

This one will stay a partially neutered underfolder. I am pretty sure I can get the slant style muzzle brake on and have it stay put. Along with the underfolder, I think it will look just fine.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#11]
keep looking for a used barrel, the headspace issue isn't a big deal when done by a competent smith.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
keep looking for a used barrel, the headspace issue isn't a big deal when done by a competent smith.

Well, now I am kind of wondering if I should go ahead and get the Polytech barrel assembly just to have on hand in case one day I do decide to have it done. I guess I could always sell it if not. And I noticed on the site, it says limited quantity. I wonder how much longer they will be available?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#13]
who knows how many they've got, they've had these for 10 or 15 years but the latest barrel ban has people scared they'll never see a barrel again.  they've gone up in the last month or two, they used to be $60.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top