Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/11/2005 1:30:03 PM EDT
I just bought a Yugo underfolder that Century is producing.  It is jamming two or three times per mag.  Jamming as in the spent round is not ejected before the bolt comes back and tries to load the next round.  

Any Ideas as to a fix would be great and I am new to AK's.  I have thought that maybe polishing the FGC might help.  The action is stiff and maybe it's slowing the bolt down and that is why the previous round isn't getting ejected.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#1]
century is crap. enough said.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#2]
It sounds like the bolt carrier isn't as free to move as it should be. Take the cover off and remove the carrier spring. And remove the bolt, but not the bolt carrier. Slide the carrier up and down. See if it moves freely.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Id be interested in some pics of these, if you have the time and equipment to do so.

As far as the problem goes, you say the action feels stiff. Is the carrier binding on the rails? Pop the top cover and look around in there. You might find something out of place.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#4]
First, i'd like to see these, so post a ton of pics if u can.

Second, did you strip it down completely and remove all the crud/metal shards/burs and re-oil before shooting? All century rifles I owned required this before shooting well. No-ban cetme and wasr10 GP, and Sar1.

Try doing that first. What fcg does it have? Century made or G2? How's the accuracy with the few barrel, and whats the overall fit and finish?

What kind of mags are you using?

Make sure the bolt/extractor is oiled.

If these dont work, try polishing it, but as a last resort.

Did i mention pics
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Again, please post some pics if you can. The one I saw at the gun shop looked and felt like an excellent build but of course I didn't get to shoot it.

I'll pretty much back up what the other guys said....its seems like the carrier can't move as freely as it should or I guess it's possible that they really screwed up and made the rail with the ejector back to far.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I polished the crap out of the FCG last night.  I will take it to the range this weekend and see if that made any difference.  I will try to post some pics.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#7]
tag for pics!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Check to see if the gas port valve rotor is in 180 degrees out (rolled upside down).  An easier way than taking it apart would be to remove the bolt carrier/piston and gas tube, plug the chamber with your finger and blow into the muzzle.  Air should pass freely through the gas port.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Pics added.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Be careful when polishing the hammer wings and trigger hook, a little too much off and you'll accidently have an unlicensed go-fast rifle ...
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Another factor to take into consideration is the EJECTOR. So many times it sticks out too far to let the action cycle so it needs to be trimmed. Well, from what I've heard of Century, if THEY trimmed it very possibly it could be trimmed too short and not hitting the rim of the shell good enough (solid enough). Check that too!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Another factor to take into consideration is the EJECTOR. So many times it sticks out too far to let the action cycle so it needs to be trimmed. Well, from what I've heard of Century, if THEY trimmed it very possibly it could be trimmed too short and not hitting the rim of the shell good enough (solid enough). Check that too!

If that were the case is there anything that could be done to fix it?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If that were the case is there anything that could be done to fix it?

Just take it apart and inspect the ejector for any signs of filing. Take a pic of the ejector and post on here so we can see.

Did you strip and clean it like everyone said?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Ejector Pic

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a similar problem with a Maadi about ten years ago. You may have a rough extractor.  Try pulling the bullets and firing a primer only and seeing if the case comes out when manually extracting (eg pulling on bolt handle). A little judicial stoning may help
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#16]
That ejector does NOT look too short to me. The only way to see for sure is to check how it interfaces with the bolt but it looks good in your pic. I wonder if it's TOO long and dragging on (slowing down) the bolt? When you take the recoil spring out, with the hammer cocked back, how freely does the bolt and bolt carrier slide back and forth??
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#17]
How many rounds did you fire?  It might just need to go through a couple hundred rounds to smooth things out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#18]
A couple of things come to mind.

1.  The piston is undersized allowing the gas to escape around and down the tube.  Is it a US made piston or is it the factory?  If you take a good pic we might be able to tell, but you will still have to mic the diameter an compare to a factory piston.

2.  Possible that something is in the gas port.

3.  The gas port is to small, but unlikely.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:58:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I may have found the problem, the extractor had a build up of gunk in the grove that catches the cartridge rim.  I took the bolt apart and cleaned everything and will take it to the range this weekend for a shakedown.

www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/trouble.htm
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Well good you think its fixed! But i still see shards of metal shavings and crud in the receiver. Get a can of brake cleaner and blow it all out. Out of the bolt and all the internals, then clean and re-oil. Trust me, it will help. Get it all.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#21]
If that's a Nodakspud receiver, it should be first rate.  

Are there any signs of gas leaks around the grenade sight?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:00:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Actually the stuff that looks like metal shavings is the red sealer from Wolf Ammo.  You are right I need to clean it but it is not from Century's manufacturing process.  

No there are no signs of gas leaks of any kind.  If it turns out to be fixed this rifle is very nice.  My only complaint is that is has a non chrome lined barrel and the crappy Century FCG.  Obviously for $40.00 to $100.00 I could fix the FCG.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I went back to the range and I'm still having the same problem.  I have noticed that I can wiggle the gas piston in the bolt carrier.  It looks like it was about one or two turns from being fully screwed in before they pinned it.  Could this be the problem?

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#24]
There is supposed to be play in the piston.  All AK's are that way.  I'm sorry to hear it is still malfunctioning.  I wonder if there are any members who live near you that could take a look at it?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Wiggle is good, you don't want a stiff piston.  I think the pistons supposed to be backed out one turn and then pinned.  I think you got a gas problem somewhere,  what's the head of the piston look like?  Is the gas tube pitted or gunked up?

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Gas Piston

Gas Tube
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#27]
From the pic, the piston looks good.  Can't really tell about the gas tube.  Are you sure that grenade gas shutoff is opening all the way?  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Do you have an Air compressor?

If you do...Blow some air through the gas block to see if there might me any obstructions.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Are you sure that grenade gas shutoff is opening all the way?  

Thats what I was thinking. Something could have happened to the shut of during the barrel swap.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:29:11 AM EDT
[#30]
I was able to pass a pipe cleaner throught the gas prot into the bore.  There is some fouling around the hinges to the grenade launcher but not much so I don't thing much gas is leaking out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

+1 How do you fuck up an AK?

Kids make them in caves for chrissakes.

CAI had previous issues with crap quality and shitty mag well conversions but the fucking things at least cycled reliably.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Take the top cover and recoil spring off.

Does the bolt carrier assembly  move forward and backwards on the receiver rails without binding?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#33]
If the spent cartridge is staying in the chamber, I had a similar problem with an AK 74.  If the cartridge is in real tight and very hard to pull out.  I used a rubber mallet to drive the bolt and carrier home and then gave the charging handle  a whack in the recoil direction.  This pulled out the spent cartridge.  I knew the extractor was fine.  I then went and got a stainless bore brush that fit the chamber and cleaned it thoroughly.  I used a light and a dental pic to clean the ridge where the chamber meets the rifling.  I was surprised how much crud came out with the dental pic.  My chamber was shiney, not dull like your pic and problem solved.  You can skip the rubber mallet part if you like.  But if the cartridge comes out fairly easy by hand, then a dirty chanber is not the answer and never mind.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:17:37 AM EDT
[#34]
It turned out to be a bad extractor, I swapped the extractor for one off a parts kit I have and it ran fine.

Where can I purchase a new extractor?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:06:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:51:42 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Thats pretty damn counterproductive,Century is breaking new ground with the Yugos.To my knowledge,this is the first time they've offered an AK with a new US made bbl and they're definately offering a nice underfolder for an affordable price.Anytime you use used parts to build a rifle,you run into the possibility of having unique problems,such as this.IMHO,Century has helped the AK community with this one.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:02:05 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats pretty damn counterproductive,Century is breaking new ground with the Yugos.To my knowledge,this is the first time they've offered an AK with a new US made bbl and they're definately offering a nice underfolder for an affordable price.Anytime you use used parts to build a rifle,you run into the possibility of having unique problems,such as this.IMHO,Century has helped the AK community with this one.

John, remember who this was coming from.

Century has it's faults, but I wouldn't of had my first low priced affordable AK if it weren't for century and their SARs and WASRs, among others.  I definately wouldn't have my C&Rs from AIMsurplus if it wasn't for Century.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:06:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Yeah,I know.I usually dismiss everything he spews out,but we have alot of new People around here who don't know he's not quite carrying a full load.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:28:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Voldy, way to be productive

try to offer some advice since you have a Yugo, there's no advice that can't help in some way.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#40]
 posted earlyer by gks452 Member
How many rounds did you fire? It might just need to go through a couple hundred rounds to smooth things out.

+1...my waser is still stiff as hell and i've put about 3-400 rounds through it.....but i can tell the diference from when i first got it....at first it would jam like 3 times a mag.....now it is down to about once a mag.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top