Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2003 2:44:42 PM EDT
Senator delivers on promise to stand up to the NRA

Washington, DC - Senator John Kerry (D-MA) has co-sponsored S. 1431, a bill that will renew and strengthen the federal assault weapons ban. The action reinforces recent comments he made promising that his would not be the "candidacy of the NRA. We stand up against that."

"Senator Kerry clearly means what he says about standing up for gun safety and saving lives," said Joshua Horwitz, Executive Director of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. "We call on the remaining candidates to state their strong support for renewing and strengthening the assault weapons ban."

Senator Kerry joins Reps. Kucinich and Gephardt as the only Democratic presidential candidates co-sponsoring legislation that not only renews but also strengthens the federal assault weapons ban. Candidates Carol Moseley Braun and Al Sharpton also support a strengthened ban, according to their responses to CSGV's candidate survey. The current ban is set to expire September 13, 2004 unless President Bush and Congress act.

Why the Ban Needs To Be Strengthened
The 1994 ban outlaws specific models of military-style semiautomatic assault weapons. But in a willful attempt to violate the spirit of the law, the gun industry continues to manufacture "post-ban" assault weapons guns identical to those banned except for minor cosmetic changes. The Bushmaster XM15 used in last fall's sniper attacks, for example, is a "post-ban" version of the AR15 assault rifle, which is banned under current law.

S. 1431 and H.R. 2038, its House companion, will not only renew the ban, but also prevent the gun industry from manufacturing "post-ban" assault weapons such as the Bushmaster XM15.H.R. 2038 has 108 sponsors.

For more information on the candidates' positions on the gun violence prevention issue, visit www.CandidatesOnGuns.org

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#1]
DOG FLAMMIT!  Willfully violating the spirit of the law??  They don't know what else to say, short of fessing up that their law -- even by their own standards -- sucked a big fat one and didn't do a THING (except hassle honest citizens).  

I keep hearing more of this "manufacturers have thwarted the law!! and "loopholes!! they abused loopholes in the law"

NO, they COMPLIED WITH YOUR LAW.  They OBEYED the regulations you set out and still tried to eke out a living for themselves.

MAN these people piss me off.  I'm starting to be less optimistic about the ban sunsetting as it is getting more and more attention every day :(

</rant off>
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#2]
The law had an evil spirit.  It was right to violate the evil spirit of that law by making post ban rifles.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Writing doesn't work!!!! Do yah really believe those congress critters really read the letters...

I'm sure a staffer skims thru them to see what topic they are written about, then fires off a form letter(Signed with an AUTOPEN, Yeah did you really believe that was signed in person by the Senator?), expressing your Congressman's sincere thoughts on this matter???

Whatever, I think it is time for more verbal expressions...Like a demonstration in Washington...This gets media coverage...This sort of thing gets heard by the House.....Not letters that some intern reads, and doesn't care one bit about!!!!!!

I've lobbied in my state Capitol!!! I know how this works....

Its time to kick the war up a notch....Yes folks this is a war!!!! No different than the war in Iraq,,,Just there have been no shots fired in this war, Yet!!!!

This is a war for FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I ask you this, Do you want some college kid working his or her way thru a political science degree to screen your letter??????

OR

Do you want your Senator to see you on the news with a million other gun owners at the Mall in Washington???????
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree that letter writing doesn't work. My rep had the nerve to write me back lecturing me about how the 2nd amendment doesn't actually give an individual the right to bear arms! That is his automatic response to anything gun related I've learned. I called the white house today. Mentioned this. The receptionist sounded happy when I voiced approval for GW, but was less than thrilled to hear my opinion on the sunset. I am at a loss as to what to do now. Even at the range here in MD black gun owners are viewed with open contempt and suspicion. M4 Aiming at U was at the range we shoot at once with two guys from the IDF. They were shooting ARs from the prone position. I've shot with one of them. They are genuinely good people. This local deer hunter walks up and mockingly asks if they are in a militia or something. Laughs all around. Every time we go to that range two or three people act like assholes to us. The only reason it's not worse is because we usually have good numbers and I think they are afraid of us. Seriously. I foresee a dark future for our guns if the rest of the country is anything like this.
I'm willing to participate in anything to get our rights back. We need a leader right now. I just wrote a hand written letter to the NRA asking them what they are doing here for us. No reply yet. It's been three or four weeks. Don't get me wrong, I am  supporter of the NRA. They have helped me personally. I will continue to support them. I just wish they would make a more obvious effort, or give more solid leadership. Who else is gonna do it?

I'm a little frustrated.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#5]
2IDdoc

I got the same treatment at the range I used to shoot at....All the prud gun owners with there expensive bolt guns shooting boring little holes in paper....blah blah bl;ah...

Just you wait till the Gov. declares their precious little bolt guns...SNIPER RIFLES...

then the may see the light....In the mean time try inviting them to light of a 30 round mag...They may just enjoy themselves....or they may still think you are a wacko......

But just remember....When the chair is against the wall......These folks will turn to people like us to save them.....
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#6]
It's always frustrating to hear of this.  We all know that the configuration of a firearm doesn't make it any more or less dangerous.  

Never yet have I met a firearm that had any criminal intent.  

If these stupid fuckers would spend as much time and money working on CRIME CONTROL instead of trying to put further legal restrictions on guns (restrictions that criminals will simply ignore anyway),  then maybe our crime rate would have taken a big nosedive by now.   But no, we have a revolving door for a prison system and still these mindless assheads are still yammering about how we need to ban this "evil gun" or that one, or better yet, banning ALL of them.

Somebody tell me...WHY do we keep electing such STUPID people?

CJ
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 2:24:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Those who do not own guns, WILL plow for those who do!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's keep this anger going, then maybee we can make a difference....
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:04:10 AM EDT
[#8]
When I read what Kerry said, I felt a lump in my throat.
What will we do to help ourselves fight against it?
As stated above, writing doesn't seem to work, and phone calls are just about as lame.
What CAN WE DO NEXT?
I'm open to suggestion.
This AWB renewal is gonna get outta hand. I can only imagine the publicity it's gonna get next year.......
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top