Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2003 5:59:47 PM EDT
Is there a place online where I can get the powder?  Or is there places where you can get it in big cities?

thanks
Brad
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#1]
get it from the grocery store.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 2:32:35 AM EDT
[#2]
There are recipies online for ballistic gelatin.The ingredients can be found in the grocery store.

Here is how you make it..

Gather your equipment and materials. You will need 100% pure gelatine, distilled water, a large pan, a whisk, a strainer, a thermometer, paper towels, molds, space in the fridge and a heat source.
You can estimate how much gel you will need to fill your molds by filling them with water. It takes roughly 1 pound of gelatine powder per gallon
Heat the water to 150 degrees, remove from heat. SLOWLY whisk in a 10% ratio (by weight) of gelatine powder. The pan needs to be large enough to contain the foam that will form

Put a paper towel in the strainer and filter the gelatine through into your mold(s)

Place the molds into the fridge and allow to chill completely to 35 - 40 degrees. (24-30 hours) Large blocks of gelatin require more freezing time than smaller blocks of course so you will have to estimate according to your mold size.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
get it from the grocery store.

Jello is not the same as Ballistic Gelatin.

There are 2 sources for the stuff (and it aint cheap):
Kind & Knox

or

Vyse Gelatin Co (which is 2/3 cheaper, but not as clear).
www.vyse.com/

Once you get the Gelatin you'll have to make it & store it according to established protocols:
Some good info here (in .PDF form) see 2nd article: www.firearmstactical.com/tacticalbriefs/volume4/number2/toc.htm

Info on mixing the Gel:
www.firearmstactical.com/tacticalbriefs/volume3/number2/article1.htm
and
www.btammolabs.com/fackler/ordnance_gelatin.pdf

Then you'll need to calibrate the Gelatin (which insures you made it properly and its the right density): www.firearmstactical.com/briefs9.htm
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 10:01:17 AM EDT
[#4]
What was on myth busters that makes you want the gel?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I have seen the show and was also wondering what you want the stuff for?
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I suspect he want to make a block of it, and see what a round will do when it enters it. at least that's my best guess on why anybody would want it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#7]
bro, Ammunition Forum Mod, has already run SOME tests using Ballistic Gellatin.

PTKID, you might check with him.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#8]
The reason that I want some is so I can see what some of my firearms do.  I just thought that it would be fun to do it myself.  just to get a little proof of my own.  I also have thought about making my own water tank, out of wood and some plastic sheeting.  Basically open and open ended trough to support the plastic.  Using wood in case it is not long enough for the firearm being used.  Then fill and and shoot, repeat after each shot.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Poly

Just do what Randy Brooks does get youself a water tank and shoot downward....just watch the spash.....heck with the horizontal stuff.

Paul
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top