Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2003 3:33:20 PM EDT
I am planning on purchasing an AK-47 and have 2 choices in mind.....G-Tech AMD-65 or SAR-1. What say ye on these choices? I am leaning to the AMD, but would like other opinions.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I would try an AMD from g-tech.Not omly does the AMD look cool as hell but its built by g-tech who makes good firearm builds.Secondly, if you get an sar-1 you will end up spending money to make it shoot straight and getting a decent finish.Belive me I own a couple sar's, and they are a dime a dozen buta AMD.....wow thats something different! just my 2cents
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I've an SAR-1,
finish problems? nay!
accuracy problems? nay!
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.......that AMD looks better and better
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Even though I have a SAR1 and not an AMD, I would second the AMD.  

The SAR1 is a great rifle for the money, but the same thing happens to pretty much everyone when the buy one; they want a better quality AK to go with it.  

Save the money and go for the AMD now.  

I'm sure a ton of people will tell you to get the SA-M7 instead, but between the choices you gave, the AMD is best.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Skip the manufactured AMD-65 and purchase a kit and receiver, then have a reputable smith put them together.  At least this way you know what you have.....

Buy the SAR1 straight out.  If it has canted sights....get them straightened....upgrade the furniture, add a muzzle brake....and bring it to Knob Creek in October.  We will shoot the shit out of it on the lower range.

REMEMBER......YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH AKs......

KF
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy the SAR1 and the AMD65 kit. Enjoy the SAR, then decide which really cool preferences you have with an AK and get the 65 built later.

I really liked the one AMD65 I have shot, but it was full-auto..............................
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 3:58:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I will say this about the SAR  series rifle. I have more expensive AK's variant's .But none will out shoot or out group any of my SAR's. They are all equal.Some just cost more then others. Nuff said.  ( Verp excluded ). WarDawg
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Hand pick a SAR1 and get one with good wood and straight gas block and front sight.I second the AMD kit,get the kit now and have In Range build it when you're ready.You may as well start thinking about your second AK now,its going to happen anyway!
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Get the Sar 1.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#11]
SAR1.  AMD is kinda a bastard child of AK's.  Fugly IMHO:)

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm telling ya, if you get the SAR you're just gonna end up spending more money down the line.  Save yourself the hassle and get an AK that shoots straigh and looks good at the same time.  

The SARs function like any other AK, but if you want it to look good too, chances are you will be up into the AMD price range again after refinishing, replacing stock set, etc.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top