Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2003 1:52:55 PM EDT
Finally got a chance to get to the range today with my Arsenal SAM-7S (milled receiver AK-47).

Woot!  A bunch of fun to shoot!

General comments about Arsenal:
Nice finish
good Fit
Ready to rock 'n roll.

On the plus side, just about as easy as my AR-15 to shoot, and a lot less punishing than my AR-10.  I tried five different types of mags, used and new, including a drum, and all worked just fine, with no misfeeds.

On the minus side, despite a claim of being laser aligned, all of my shots (400 of them) were hitting 4" to the left at 50 yards.  This was off so far that it was essentially an entire front-post width.  Elevation was very close, requiring only a 1/8th turn of the front sight to get it spot on.  Thank you Arsenal for including the small tool kit!

Despite my lack of experience with them, takedown was a breeze, and I found cleaning a bit easier than my ARs.  This gave me a chance to check out the fit of the bolt and associated parts, which is quite loose, especially compared to high-end ARs.

Using Wolf HP bullets, the best I managed to shoot was a four or five 1 inch groups at 50 yards offhand.  Not quite as good as I do with my AR, but OK.  I found the built-in sight to be more frustrating to use than a AR-15A2.  In rapid fire situations, I had much more spread than I was used to.  In my case, I suspect I'm going to have to go to optical sights to tighten things up.

The bottom line is that it is a bunch of fun to shoot.  Thank goodness the ammo is so cheap, because it isn't often that I click through 400 rounds in an hour.  Judging from the fit of the internal parts, I would guess I could jam it full of mud and still have it shoot.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Despite my lack of experience with them, takedown was a breeze, and I found cleaning a bit easier than my ARs. This gave me a chance to check out the fit of the bolt and associated parts, which is quite loose, especially compared to high-end ARs.

This is part of the magic of the design. If crud gets in there, the parts still have plenty of space to move, whereas an AR, with it's tight tolerences, can cease to function.  

Also, did you try adjusting the front sight for windage? The sight is probably just set a little off, and that's why you're hitting 4" off.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Also, did you try adjusting the front sight for windage? The sight is probably just set a little off, and that's why you're hitting 4" off.  

No, not yet.  I think that takes a special tool (A sight pusher), which I don't have, but I think that CheaperThanDirt sells one for $5 or so.  That will be a task for another day.  Even if the sight is corrected, I just don't care for the iron sights on the AK (based on one day's trial).  They seem a bit too low-profile for me, especially compared to the AR.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:35:21 AM EDT
[#3]
A C clamp and small socket set can usually do what the special tool does for the front sight.
Consider a Kobra for blasting up to 100yds, or a 4x range scope for plinking/paper punching.

Glad you are having fun!
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:54:02 AM EDT
[#4]
you cleaned it? Son this is an ak Not an ar.....
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:04:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
you cleaned it? Son this is an ak Not an ar.....

I can tell I have a lot to learn!

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:47:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I was gonna buy an SA M-7 and got side tracked by a pre-ban Chinese side folder at the gun show last weekend! I won't rest until I get a SA M-7! That SHOULD be next! Already got a SAR-1 also.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top