Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/21/2003 4:54:23 AM EDT
Hey guy's, my brother'nlaw just brought me back
an iraqi ak chest rig he took off a prisoner.
it's a standard 3 mag commie chest rig. i had seen these before but had never tried one on thinking they were junk. i've fallen in love with this chest rig. its kinda like the ak, simple and reliable.i think i may make some minor improvements to it by adding velcro to the mag pouches.anyways i was wondering if you guys could post some pictures of your chest rigs that are geared up for ak's. i'll get my pics up soon.
thanks john
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:04:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2003 6:07:09 AM EDT by obershutze916]
I only use belt pouches. I was always trained to shoot while on the ground or from behind something. (prefeably both) The idea of hitting the ground with a chest full of hard mags does not sound like fun to me! Raising yourself up a bit to get a new mag could be a bad thing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 11:22:13 AM EDT
do you have any pics of your belt pouches ober?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 12:03:18 PM EDT
They are all packed away. It wouldn't be anything great. Just East German, German, French, Yugo, and Austrian issue. All common.

I wasn't trying to flame you, sorry if it came off that way.

The last example I can think of (this happend a few weeks ago) was at our last WWII re-enactment.

We ran into a buttload of G.I.s comming down a hill. Long story short, we did a hell of a job being outnumbered and outguned defending the bottom of the hill, but had to pull back. We found a very small depression, we hugged the ground as close as we could. I acctually looked at my C.O. and saif I was glad we didn't have clip fed rifles or we would have been screwed.

To our right a group of out paras came to help hod our flank. They have bandoliers (I can post a picture of these unique items if you would like) to hold their ammo.

The G.I.s regrouped and came down off the hill. We hit them hard and close, we were able to stay low enough to keep down, and with our ammo on belt pouches, all we had to do was duck, and reach back and grab the ammo.

Meanwhile, the paras were over run. Each time they had to reload, they had to lift their bodies up a bit to get to the ammo that was strapped to their chest. It was not long before they were all picked off, and over run.

I know this is not a real battle situation, but 8 of us were able to hold a position, then withdrawl without loss (without knowingly being "hit" or a G.I. calling out a "hit").

The G.I.s were unable and unwilling to follow us through our old position, but had no trouble turning our flank through the paras old position.

Just an example of how I think chest pouches are a bad idea. Maybe that is why the Iraqis lost too!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 12:53:29 PM EDT
ober i agree with you. i've been in the infantry for 11 years now, on my load bearing vest, lbv
i have 6 chest mags which are on the vest but most of us ad 2 regular amo pouches on our web belt for firing from the prone position. we mainly use the chest rig for mout. city fighting.when i get my camera to work i will get some pics for you. i don't think you post came off as a flame. your advise and opions are always welcome on my threads.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 1:36:04 PM EDT
Here is a couple for you

SOE Frog AK chest rig www.soegear.com

Eagle Industries SF30AK (will hold 8 AK or 12 M16 mags)

Link Posted: 8/21/2003 1:59:37 PM EDT

i cant agree more lbv sucks not only is it hot, but its hard to reload while in the prone position. i also carry 2 extra ammo pouches on my pistol belt just for that reason.

Link Posted: 8/21/2003 2:03:12 PM EDT
great site i'm going to spend a few hours drooling now lol
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 2:05:29 PM EDT
yep centermass it is very hot,thats why i kinda like this chest rig i got from iraq, i'd use a camel back with it. not my primary rig but i could use it in a pinch i guess.
lol
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 9:22:21 PM EDT
I think that chest rigs can be better for prone movement then belt pouches sometimes. when you come down hard on belt pouches, they can hit you hard all around your mid section, while a chest rig like that described destributes the mags in a flatter, more even way across your chest. This is purely airsofting experience though, but still....

As for modifying it, I'd buy one just like it from a surplus distributer and save the captured one as is, just for keepings sake.

Ober, I've long been interested in the re-enactment scene. I've got to ask though; how do you simulate combat in so far as firing/hitting/being dead is concerned?

It sounds like a lot of fun, of course I would be standing atop a pile of German corpses with my trusty M1-Garand! bam-bam-bam-bam-bam-bam-bam-bam-chink!

Naw I'm kidding, but seriously, I'd like to know.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 11:35:44 PM EDT
Here's what I use with my SAR1.

Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:41:20 AM EDT
Chest rigs work well if you are mounted, i.e. in a vehicle much of the time. Pouches can be a PITA sitting in vehicle, or getting in and out frequently.

Ross
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:57:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AJjer_Bullets:
Ober, I've long been interested in the re-enactment scene. I've got to ask though; how do you simulate combat in so far as firing/hitting/being dead is concerned?

It sounds like a lot of fun, of course I would be standing atop a pile of German corpses with my trusty M1-Garand! bam-bam-bam-bam-bam-bam-bam-bam-chink!

Naw I'm kidding, but seriously, I'd like to know.

I love that "Chink" sound then I know you are out of ammo! I really love it when they try to get funny and throw an empty clip on the ground, different sound buddy - BANG, your dead!

No big deal, most G.I.s are 10 feet tall and bullet proof anyway.

Check out www.atthefront.com go to their links page. They will give the web sites of most of the WWII reenactment units. Find one close to you and check them out.

A G.I. impression is the cheapest by far. As far as rules, they are mostly only gard towards safety. Most engangements take place at 50yards or less. When you see a guy point his gun at you or he is close enough that he would get you he just tells you that you are dead. Mostly honor system. Also if you are cought in the open, or hit close by machineguns you take your hit. The main issue to have fun, it to take it seriously, but remember it is still fun. I had no problem aiming a gun at another person, some people do. Blanks are used, and are quite loud, we have a 150mm artillery peice,and there are tons of other heavy armor and weapons people use. I saw a German with a magnetic mine throw himself under a Sherman to attach it to the belly once. (Between the tracks - idiot - he was eject from the event)

If everyone plays fair it works well, and the combat can get more real than you think. Check out the site, if you have anymore questions just IM me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 9:31:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2003 9:31:46 AM EDT by HeavyMetal]
My observation on chest rigs is that they must be adjusted high to prevent them from gouging you in the ribcage.

I like the commie three cell but the six cell are too thick.

A good way to carry three extra mags over your regular lbe or a good 'bail out' lbv to keep in your vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 11:14:57 AM EDT
When I was with the mountain infantry in Europe, we used an over the shoulder rig. It was a butt pack in the rear, the shoulder straps came over to hold the front pouch which was at your waist. We would keep the front loose, and the rear very tight, when you would drop down, it would pull the front pouch up to your chest keeping you in a semi-upright position for shooting. Nothing hard was kept in this pouch for obvious reasons, and ot provided some padding against the rocks or snow.

Sportsmans guide had them for sale awhile back. A great mountain rig, but anywhere esle it would have sucked bigtime.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 12:30:27 PM EDT
wildcat that velcro is exactly what i'm talking about, i've been looking at some blackhawk vest's.we will have to see what i can come up with.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:36:46 PM EDT
Here is my 3 and 4 pocket rig.

Link Posted: 8/27/2003 3:01:50 AM EDT
neutrino45,
wee did you get the 4 chest rig?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 5:19:57 PM EDT
My friend bought the 4 pocket rig from Shanghai, China. He bought it from a street vendor. From the impression he gave me, there are a lot of those things for sale on the streets. I wonder if it is anything like the Arms Bazaar in Pakistan?? Hehe... I'll have to have him take some pictures when he goes back in a month or two.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 5:30:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2003 5:33:11 PM EDT by Neutrino45]
Can you post a pic of your Iraqi pouch? Is it the sand colored version or the dual tone version??

Ebay Item number: 2189114016
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 2:20:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Neutrino45:
Here is my 3 and 4 pocket rig.

www.hunt101.com/img/056842.JPG

Which one do you like better and why?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 10:52:35 AM EDT
I like the 4 pocket version because I can carry more mags otherwise they feel the same when I wear it. At 1st I didn't know that the straps were suppose to cross behind my neck. Once I've figured that out the rig is pretty comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 1:32:31 PM EDT
I like chest pouches! In VN we liked to get SKS pouches as they would hold our 20 rd. magazines. We had our web belts with magazine pouches, grenades, etc. By having the chest pouch we could drop out heavier belts at night and we still had 10 magazines right at hand. On our belts we kept the pouches off of the front of our belts to allow us to get closer to the ground. A lot of guys got hit in the elbow because of lifting their arms to get magazines out of the belt pouches while in the prone position. Many a canteen got shot off of out belts, so low is good.

I have two Chinese 3 pocket pouches, but they hold 2 magazines in each pouch. I have another pouch that has this same 2 magazine per pouch with lift dot snaps and a map pouch between the chest part and the mag compartments. It is really well made duck/canvas type and the only one I have seen like it was a Pakistani soldier on the news.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 2:06:05 PM EDT
FYI the Sportsmans Guide carreis an updated version of that Chi-Com 3 magazine pouch. The material is Nylon, and the pouches close with a brass snap & velcro.

It comes in OD & Woodland. I picked up a couple and modified them a bit. They also work for AR-15 magazines with Mag-Puls...
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 2:55:57 PM EDT
how much does it cost, forest?
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:40:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Forest:
FYI the Sportsmans Guide carreis an updated version of that Chi-Com 3 magazine pouch. The material is Nylon, and the pouches close with a brass snap & velcro.

Link? I've looked but couldn't find.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 3:25:22 AM EDT
forest?
Top Top